Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 8 2008, 01:30 AM   #16
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Would a Captain Sulu series have killed trek?

^
Would he still carry around the gong he used in Encounter at Farpoint?
Old April 8 2008, 02:30 AM   #17
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I would've much preferred this series to VOY. I think the TOS movies and Kirk's role in GEN were still relatively fresh when VOY premiered, and I think this show could've built on that.

I think Takei would be an okay lead. Of course it would work best if it was an ensemble show with some younger actors. But I would've loved to see the 'Lost Era' explored more. There was still the peace process with the Klingons, the saving of Qo'noS, the Tomed Incident, etc, etc. So many cool things could've been explored on a Excelsior show. Plus, it could've allowed for some TOS guest starring. It's a shame that it never came to fruition.

Also, I liked the idea of a Harriman show as well.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 03:17 AM   #18
Takomaguy
Captain

DarKush wrote: View Post
I would've much preferred this series to VOY. I think the TOS movies and Kirk's role in GEN were still relatively fresh when VOY premiered, and I think this show could've built on that.

I think Takei would be an okay lead. Of course it would work best if it was an ensemble show with some younger actors. But I would've loved to see the 'Lost Era' explored more. There was still the peace process with the Klingons, the saving of Qo'noS, the Tomed Incident, etc, etc. So many cool things could've been explored on a Excelsior show. Plus, it could've allowed for some TOS guest starring. It's a shame that it never came to fruition.

Also, I liked the idea of a Harriman show as well.

Harriman was a pussy.

Forget Takei. Take the basic Voyager premise and tweak it. No divided crew. No Neelix, no Piss or whatever her name was. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, playing Sulu's grandson, Admiral Sulu leads a lightning raid against Cardassians. In an attempt to save a Federation settlement, Sulu wins the battle, but his ship is tossed into another quadrant or dimension. Either way he and his crew are tough and resourceful. They will fight to get home.

That would have worked.

Last edited by Takomaguy; April 8 2008 at 05:22 AM.
Takomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 05:02 AM   #19
Aragorn
Admiral

^ Um, I think "no divided crew" WAS Voyager's problem, especially since they completely neutered the Maquis/Starfleet conflict at the end of the pilot.

An Excelsior show could've worked if Takei wasn't the star, but would he have gone for a supporting role?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 05:28 AM   #20
Takomaguy
Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
^ Um, I think "no divided crew" WAS Voyager's problem, especially since they completely neutered the Maquis/Starfleet conflict at the end of the pilot.

An Excelsior show could've worked if Takei wasn't the star, but would he have gone for a supporting role?

It would have worked logically to have them at each other's throats all the time, while at the same time they were struggling to stay alive.

Lokk at history. Back in Viet-Nam you had racial tension between SOME balck and white troops. If you go back an read the accounts, that all disappeared in a hot LZ.

No. That idiot Berman, instead of trying to make a social statement, or make "Trek history" should have put a rock hard crew together, and make the tension surround how they would get home, struggling each day to survive. Kind of like the BSG reboot.

Berman emasculated Star Trek. I'm afraid this wuss movie will be just as bad.

What Paramount needed was a treatment from Saul Tigh.
Old April 8 2008, 06:18 AM   #21
zenophite
Rear Admiral

What I would like would be a collapse of the federation due to internal strife. Yeah I know they sort of did this in Andromeda but they skewered that so bad that if you did it right no one would even mention Andromeda after the pilot premiere.
Old April 8 2008, 02:51 PM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Takomaguy wrote: View Post
Berman emasculated Star Trek.
Compared to what version of Trek?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 03:24 PM   #23
sericali1
Lieutenant Commander

A Sulu series might have worked some years ago. It would be more a matter of writing scripts the cast could deliver and Takei's chops are good enough that he, like any other actor, would rise to the quality of the scripts provided him. Come on, plenty of so-called supporting players have risen above that station and gone on to bigger and better things...

But what interests me more is this idea for a different direction in Trek...

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Make it more of an ensemble where the captain gets the "and" credit. Maybe make the first officer the star.
Yeah we can set it on a space station just above a Federation protectorate just outside a stable wormhole. You could have a character that sits in the station's bar who's supposed to be a chatterbox, but (you will LOVE this) HE NEVER SAYS A LINE ON CAMERA! Toss in a war, maybe focus on the Captain in later episodes on the series, but really spend a ton of time on the majority of the cast, especially the first officer's religion, culture and love life with various significant others...

Oh, AND get two women to kiss on camera before the series goes off the air...

Now THAT might be a pretty decent show after a few seasons...

Of course we'd have to come up with a name for it, kind of dramatic like Space: 1999 but with Star Trek tossed in there somewhere...

Tongue planted firmly in cheek, I'm outta here...

Later!

Ali
sericali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2008, 04:06 PM   #24
Takomaguy
Captain

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
TOS.

Last edited by Takomaguy; April 8 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Takomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2008, 01:59 AM   #25
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

TOS.

The Great Bird himself did a perfectly fine job of that with the first two seasons of TNG. It could probably be argued (and certainly has been in other forums) that Berman actually helped save Trek from Roddenberry's influence.
Old April 9 2008, 04:04 AM   #26
Takomaguy
Captain

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post

TOS.

The Great Bird himself did a perfectly fine job of that with the first two seasons of TNG. It could probably be argued (and certainly has been in other forums) that Berman actually helped save Trek from Roddenberry's influence.
Shit, what else could he say?
Old April 9 2008, 06:25 AM   #27
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Would it have killed it? Probably not. Would it have helped? No freaking way. It's too same old same old.
Old April 9 2008, 02:50 PM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TOS.
Nope.

With respect to the kind of criteria you laid out in your post, it fails. By the standard of nuBSG or your "crew at each others throats" or "rock-hard crew" etc. TOS was just another squeaky clean world of skiffy action heroes.

So McCoy and Spock snapped at one another and Kirk sometimes emoted a little much when he had a tough decision to make. So what?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2008, 03:59 PM   #29
Takomaguy
Captain

TOS.
Nope.

With respect to the kind of criteria you laid out in your post, it fails. By the standard of nuBSG or your "crew at each others throats" or "rock-hard crew" etc. TOS was just another squeaky clean world of skiffy action heroes.

So McCoy and Spock snapped at one another and Kirk sometimes emoted a little much when he had a tough decision to make. So what?

C'mon, dude, TOS! !960s! What did you expect? TV had nothing BUT one dimensional, celluliod, action figures. Batman and Robin. The Green Hornet and Kato. Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuriakin. Jim West. Mannix. T.H.E. Cat. The entire troupe on Lost in Space. With sensors back then, you weren't going to get anything different.

All I'm saying is that if someone wanted a scenario in which you would have a Sulu commanding a ship, especially in a Voyager kind of setting, this is one way in which it could have worked.

If I say anything else, I'm get in trouble with someone because they'll insist I'm flaming Voyager...
Old April 9 2008, 09:01 PM   #30
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

I think "Flashback" made it perfectly clear that an Excelsior series using the elements from TUC would have sucked hard. Takei's not a brutal actor or anything, but his performance in that episode didn't exactly scream "make this into a series!" for me.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote