Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 6 2008, 08:14 PM   #211
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

Re: Ratings are in !

This thread is obsolete. BSG is a done deal.
Old April 6 2008, 09:00 PM   #212
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

ialfan wrote: View Post
Well the fact is the show got it's fourth season and the producers chose to end the story. The series was not cancelled and was very sucessful for scifi channel. In fact it has been successful enough to get a spinoff.
I think you are stretching more than those irrational Firefly fans. If it truly was really successful then it would get more seasons and more episode orders and one season would not be stretched thin to two. Face it, the ratings suck.
It is very critically acclaimed which means a lot more than the public liking it. To be honest most of the public are idiots who think American Idol is as good as TV gets.
Critical acclaim means squat. The audience, the main group that all shows are made for, is what matters. The ratings suck because the audience isn't there. Blame American Idol all you want, fact is it brings in the viewers, hence the ratings and hence the money. But if you really want to compare, why not compare BSG to Heroes? Remember Heroes season 1? It was a smash hit. Season 2 started to be crap so the audience left. Same story with BSG.
Old April 6 2008, 09:41 PM   #213
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
Irrespective of that fact that I think BSG has remained excellent, quality has nothing to do with ratings.
Old April 6 2008, 09:42 PM   #214
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

Not Ratings really, but the third season DVD-Set seems to be selling really well:

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/chart...8/20080323.php
Old April 6 2008, 09:48 PM   #215
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Well the fact is the show got it's fourth season and the producers chose to end the story. The series was not cancelled and was very sucessful for scifi channel. In fact it has been successful enough to get a spinoff.
I think you are stretching more than those irrational Firefly fans. If it truly was really successful then it would get more seasons and more episode orders and one season would not be stretched thin to two. Face it, the ratings suck.
I may be misremembering my information, but wasn't Moore planning on close the book after five seasons anyways, but SciFi wanted four? And, for a SciFi channel show, the ratings are pretty decent.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old April 6 2008, 10:20 PM   #216
Archangel

BSG fans and Firefly fans should have a Rationalization-off.

And this is from someone who likes both shows....I just have no problem pointing out the shows and fans BS when I see it.

Old April 6 2008, 10:24 PM   #217
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

RDM claims he only wanted/needed four seasons to tell this story.

I have seen nothing convincing that contradicts that.
Old April 6 2008, 10:36 PM   #218
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^Okay. I knew it was something close like that, so it wasn't like the writers/ producers were getting screwed on time.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old April 6 2008, 10:51 PM   #219
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post

A sad reflection on the channel when Ghost Hunters and Wrestling are doing so well, I also believe the ratings for this season's Stargate Atlantis are not doing so well.
Ghost Hunters is a money-maker because it is a quality show (and is inexpensive to produce). Please don't insult those of us who love it... obviously there are more of us than you. I happen to watch GH and BSG.
ECW's popularity only means that the mouth-breathers will watch rasslin' wherever it is shown, even on Sci-Fi. It is a total mystery to me how they decided it should be on Sci-Fi though!!!
Old April 6 2008, 11:13 PM   #220
Muad Dib
Commodore

I think BSG is the best show currently on TV, and the best sci-fi series ever, and about the only show on Sci-Fi Channel that I watch. It's the only series that I have bought every season released on DVD. I don't own a single season of any Star Trek series, since I refuse to pay Paramount's overinflated premium prices for shows that were already paid for with commercial advertising.
Old April 6 2008, 11:30 PM   #221
Lookingglassman
Admiral

Muad Dib, I totally agree. I own all the seasons of BSG including the original seasons episodes. It is a great show and I will be sorry to see it go.
Old April 7 2008, 09:55 PM   #222
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
It is very critically acclaimed which means a lot more than the public liking it. To be honest most of the public are idiots who think American Idol is as good as TV gets.
Critical acclaim means squat. The audience, the main group that all shows are made for, is what matters. The ratings suck because the audience isn't there. Blame American Idol all you want, fact is it brings in the viewers, hence the ratings and hence the money. But if you really want to compare, why not compare BSG to Heroes? Remember Heroes season 1? It was a smash hit. Season 2 started to be crap so the audience left. Same story with BSG.

I'm not sure if it is fair to compare nuBSG witb other scifi shows, but you can compare the ratings stats with its existing fanbase
It used to pulled ratings higher than 3.5....now it pulls something like a 1.3 which means over 50% of the fans have stopped watching the show, personally I think the show might have shark jumped with all that soap opera BS

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
RDM claims
Moore and Eick said many times they would have liked to see a 5th season, Skiffy's nielsen ratings dictated otherwise and so the 4th will be dragged out for another two years. Things started to go wonky at the end of S2, the signs of structural weakness were there. I thought the show was better when they stuck to a smaller 13 episode arc and gave each character good airtime.....I mean how long can you drag out this - cylon plan, kara's destiny business
Old April 7 2008, 10:19 PM   #223
Garth Rockett
Commodore

I don't understand why anyone would care either way what the ratings are for a show that has already announced it's in its last season. If you like the show, watch the last episodes and enjoy it. If you don't, presumably you're not watching it anyway, so what?

Quality is subjective anyway. If ratings on BSG are down, all that tells me is a lot of people have bad taste in television. But I knew that anyway.
Old April 7 2008, 10:30 PM   #224
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Ratings only matter if a show is in danger of not being able to complete the story it's telling. Now that the show will run to completion, I don't care if any one else on the planet watches the show besides me.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."

Last edited by TheArsenal; April 7 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old April 8 2008, 02:20 AM   #225
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Here's an article on Galactica's ratings for the premeire...

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...urns/800036979