Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old April 2 2008, 02:16 AM   #16
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Re: Why did Doohan hate Shatner?

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
3. Shatner revealed the fact that someone from the main cast, in a drunk state of mind, sexually harrased the woman who played Rand. Hmmmm..I wonder who that was.

Nichelle Nicholes? no...
Nimoy (Shatner's close friend...no...)
De'Kelley (class act..)
Koenig (wasn't there yet)
Takie (gay)

So that leaves either Shatner, who wrote the book, or Doohan.!! Now, in defence of Doohan, he is never named at the person who did it, nor am I..but you get the picture.
Absolute horseshit. You need to be careful with such nonsense. It WASN'T a cast member. And EVERY woman who has ever met Doohan reports him to be absolutely charming and a true gentleman.

As to the question at hand, Doohan was indeed jealous of Shatner - he's admitted that he'd rather have had the role of captain - but it didn't really start until the 70s, when waves of Trekies started worshipping the lesser 4 cast members. Basically, Doohan and some of the others started believing their own press. They started believing that they were the stars of the show, or were at least as important to it as Shatner was.
Shatner, for his part, can be a jerk. But it's not personal. The man had a family to feed, so yeah, he had to promote himself to get ahead, and didn't care whose feelings he hurt in the process. It wasn't until the 90s that Shatner realized how people reacted to that, so he learned to temper it.
For Doohan, on the other hand, it was personal, and he carried the grudge, sadly, to his grave.
Old April 2 2008, 03:12 AM   #17
ktanner3

The shatner haters will invade your post but I will give you the real reasons why Doohan hated Shatner..

1. He was jealous of Shatner. As you stated, Shatner took Doohan's lines. Well, TOO BAD, Jimmy. Shatner was the star of the show. And like Jack Lord, Tom Selleck, he had the right to trade lines...
That's lie number 1.You have no proof or evidence that doohan was jealous of shatner. Not every star of a show stole lines to suit his own purpose and coincidently, none of them are as hated by their fellow cast members like Shatner is.
2. Shatner often took credit for getting Jimmy the job. Shatner did suggest Jimmy for the job...and..wow..he got it!
That was lie number 2.Doohan got the job because of his ability to do different voices. He was the one who said that the engineer should be a scotsman. And it was joe Di agosta the casting director that recomended the actor to rodenberry, NOT shatner.

3. Shatner revealed the fact that someone from the main cast, in a drunk state of mind, sexually harrased the woman who played Rand. Hmmmm..I wonder who that was.

Nichelle Nicholes? no...
De'Kelley (class act..)
Takie (gay)

So that leaves either Shatner, who wrote the book, or Doohan.!! Now, in defence of Doohan, he is never named at the person who did it, nor am I..but you get the picture.
And that was lie number 3.This is one of many innaccuracies that were in Star Trek Memories. As pointed out in Bob Justman and Herb solow's book, it was a suit for the studio that was known for forcing himself on actresses that assaulted Nichelle Nichols.I can also see where your gross misinformation is coming from. Shatner's book has been panned by so many people who were involved with the show that it shouldn't even be considered a reliable source of information.

Okay ani-shats...time to spread more of your lies about the only Emmy winning actor who starred in Star Trek...WILLIAM SHATNER!!
You did just fine in the lie department.You don't need anyone else. Learn to read multiple sources besides one person's view when discussing a topic. It tends to make your argument less one sided.

Old April 24 2008, 09:44 PM   #18
Sarah James
Lieutenant

With each point you listed you couldn't be further away from the truth.

1) Doohan wasn't jealous of Shatner. On the set and at the parties he would avoid the man because he thought Bill was racist, sexist and intolerant.

2) Bill never suggested Jimmy for the part. Bill only suggested that Star Trek could do without an engineer (Doohan) which Jimmy never forgave him.

3) Doohan and Grace Lee Whitney were always best of friends (at one time more than that) right until his death. He was never known to force issues with women. Jimmy worshipped women. All women. But one of the NBC executives working for Star Trek was renowned for being a pest and forcing himself on femal staff. And this person who shall not be named raped Grace, harrassed Nichelle and attacked Takei on several occasions. The person to stand up to him was not Bill Shatner. It was Doohan who got severely reprimanded by a bunch of hypocrites, for being a caring, courageous friend at all times.

That, my friend, is the truth as I know it, right out of the mouth of somebody who is not here to defend himself. So I have to do it for him.

1. He was jealous of Shatner. As you stated, Shatner took Doohan's lines. Well, TOO BAD, Jimmy. Shatner was the star of the show. And like Jack Lord, Tom Selleck, he had the right to trade lines...

2. Shatner often took credit for getting Jimmy the job. Shatner did suggest Jimmy for the job...and..wow..he got it!

Nichelle Nicholes? no...
De'Kelley (class act..)
Takie (gay)

I have been to dozens of Trek conventions, starting in the late 70s. I have heard the lower rung actors bitch and bitch how hard it was to escape Trek's shadow. Well, Shatner did it, and so they are jealous hacks.

Okay ani-shats...time to spread more of your lies about the only Emmy winning actor who starred in Star Trek...WILLIAM SHATNER!!
Old April 24 2008, 09:50 PM   #19
RobertScorpio
Pariah

I love Shredded Wheat

Last edited by RobertScorpio; April 24 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old April 24 2008, 09:58 PM   #20
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I prefer to think that Jimmy and the Shat did reconcile their differences before he died. I love every one of the original actors, James Doohan being one of my very favorites. He endeared himself to me even more as he did each movie, and I loved him in Star Trek, all series. It was old home week when I watched him on the TNG episode, "Relics", and it brought tears to my eyes to see him there. I never got the chance to meet him, just like I never got to meet DeForest Kelley. But like De, I would imagine it to have been a wonderful experience.

Godspeed De, Godspeed Jimmy. May the wind be forever at your backs.

Your opinion, not mine. I have my resources, you have yours. Yours is dead, mine is not. And mine is pretty high up the chain.

Too call Shatner a racist is very beneath you, especially since you have no idea what you are talking about. But, go ahead and listen to the biased remarks of the lower rung actors. Everyone one of them amounted to ZERO after Star Trek. And that is why they are/were so jealous.

Rob

Your what? Shatner isn't yours. Doohan isn't hers. They're human beings, not ideological fodder for pissing contests. I suggest you get some perspective and get the chip off your shoulder.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old April 24 2008, 10:02 PM   #21
RobertScorpio
Pariah

The sun can shine

Rob
Old April 24 2008, 10:03 PM   #22
Sarah James
Lieutenant

Sarah James wrote: View Post

1) Doohan wasn't jealous of Shatner. On the set and at the parties he would avoid the man because he thought Bill was racist, sexist and intolerant.

2) Bill never suggested Jimmy for the part. Bill only suggested that Star Trek could do without an engineer (Doohan) which Jimmy never forgave him.

3) Doohan and Grace Lee Whitney were always best of friends (at one time more than that) right until his death. He was never known to force issues with women. Jimmy worshipped women. All women. But one of the NBC executives working for Star Trek was renowned for being a pest and forcing himself on femal staff. And this person who shall not be named raped Grace, harrassed Nichelle and attacked Takei on several occasions. The person to stand up to him was not Bill Shatner. It was Doohan who got severely reprimanded by a bunch of hypocrites, for being a caring, courageous friend at all times.

That, my friend, is the truth as I know it, right out of the mouth of somebody who is not here to defend himself. So I have to do it for him.

Nichelle Nicholes? no...
De'Kelley (class act..)
Takie (gay)

I have been to dozens of Trek conventions, starting in the late 70s. I have heard the lower rung actors bitch and bitch how hard it was to escape Trek's shadow. Well, Shatner did it, and so they are jealous hacks.

Your opinion, not mine. I have my resources, you have yours. Yours is dead, mine is not. And mine is pretty high up the chain.

Too call Shatner a racist is very beneath you, especially since you have no idea what you are talking about. But, go ahead and listen to the biased remarks of the lower rung actors. Everyone one of them amounted to ZERO after Star Trek. And that is why they are/were so jealous.

Rob
I don't call Shatner anything. Why should I? I never met the man. I don't care for him. But James Doohan met him an awful lot at one time and had formed an opinion. Now please go and ask Grace Lee Whitney face to face if James Doohan ever raped her. I think she would advise you to seek help.

So much for credibility.
Old April 24 2008, 10:06 PM   #23
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Rob
I don't call Shatner anything. Why should I? I never met the man. I don't care for him. But James Doohan met him an awful lot at one time and had formed an opinion. Now please go and ask Grace Lee Whitney face to face if James Doohan ever raped her. I think she would advise you to seek help.

So much for credibility.
Time will tell...time will tell.
Old April 24 2008, 10:13 PM   #24
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I doubt he hated Shatner. That's a pretty strong word.

However, considering both actors appeared in classic Twilight Zone episodes, at least Doohan didn't totally embarrass himself!
Old April 24 2008, 10:23 PM   #25
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

I love Shredded Wheat
You know, editing your posts after someone else has already quoted you in a response isn't all the effective.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
Old April 24 2008, 10:28 PM   #26
M
Vice Admiral

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
I love Shredded Wheat
You know, editing your posts after someone else has already quoted you in a response isn't all the effective.
It's not only ineffective, it also not very nice either.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old April 24 2008, 10:41 PM   #27
Sarah James
Lieutenant

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
I love Shredded Wheat
It's not only ineffective, it also not very nice either.
Absolutely right. Well Rob, I believe you're outing yourself. Saves me a whole lot of work. Thank you :-)
Old April 25 2008, 01:43 AM   #28
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

I think Doohan hated Shatner, to let's face it Shatner was an arrogant ass, and has the biggest ego, IMHO. That's why.
Old April 25 2008, 04:38 PM   #29
Dr_Daystrom
Commander

George Takei made a comment about Shatners personality on the David Letterman show recently. He said that after all these years Shatner still pronounces his name wrong. Even though he has corrected him many, many times, Shatner just won't get it right. It's that attitude that Doohan didn't like. He was once quoted as saying "I like Captain Kirk, but I can't say that I'm very fond of Bill". Doohan would not even reprise his role as Scotty in the Futurama spoof "Where No Fan Has Gone Before". His response was "No way!". The producers believed it was because he thought he would have to work with Shatner again.

As for Doohans personality Wikipedia has this to say; "Doohan was considered by some to be one of the most giving and affable stars of the Star Trek franchise".
Old April 25 2008, 05:52 PM   #30
CorporalClegg
Admiral

You know, Kim, it really isn't that unusual for one coworker to despise another.

It happens. Humans, even the best ones, are petty, vindictive, duplicitous creatures.