Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 22 2008, 06:46 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Season Two Original Series Remastered DVDs Are 'On' Again

August 5th is the street release date for the Remastered Season Two original series DVDs.

As reported by TV Shows On DVD.com, the Season Two release of the original series Remastered DVDs will not be in a Blu-Ray version, but will be sold as a standard DVD release. Originally, the DVD set was planned as a HD DVD/DVD combo version, but only the DVD side of the disk will be used for this release.

The Second Season of the original series offers fan favorites such as Amok Time, Journey to Babel, The Trouble with Tribbles and The Doomsday Machine.

There is no information yet on packaging, extras or the price of the DVD set. It is expected that more details will be forthcoming in the future.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old March 22 2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Season Two Original Series Remastered DVDs Are 'On' Again

So, no Blu-Ray, huh? Then what would be the point of releasing an HD re-mastered version at all? What's the hurry? Why not Blu-Ray? As usual, no explanation given.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old March 22 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

As an owner of the season one box set, who bought it and an HD DVD player because they were hi-def, no thanks. Pass.
Old March 22 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
NCC621
Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad it's coming out, but I'll wait for the Blu-Ray version. The HD-DVD was so awesome that I just don't want to go backward. (Fortunately, I have both players!)
Old March 22 2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Ptrope
Agitator

Sounds like the typical Star Trek marketing, to me ... of course they're going to release S. 2 in hi-def, but only after they've screwed fans out of another $120 for the remastered series on standard DVD - that way, they can make that money twice, from people who also bought the original DVD sets and the VHS tapes, too.
Old March 22 2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

^ And the LaserDiscs. I have all TOS/TAS/TOS movies on LD.

Uh....anybody want 'em?

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Old March 22 2008, 04:13 PM   #7
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I sprung for the regular two-eps-per disk DVDs. That was costly. I have no plans to replace them. I don't really need to see the pores on the actors' faces or the seam lines on Spock's ears anyhow.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old March 22 2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Capt_Jason
Lieutenant Commander

View Capt_Jason's Twitter Profile

Well, it looks like I won't be purchasing the TOS-R works anytime soon.

Halo anyone?
Old March 23 2008, 12:35 PM   #9
roliver
Fleet Captain

Ptrope wrote: View Post
Sounds like the typical Star Trek marketing, to me ... of course they're going to release S. 2 in hi-def, but only after they've screwed fans out of another $120
Only *you* can screw yourself out of your own money. People need to stop blaming movie/TV studios for how they spend their own money.
Old March 23 2008, 04:13 PM   #10
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Speaking as someone who bought Season 1 just for the DVD side, I'm happy with this decision. Blue Ray isn't even on my radar at this stage.
Old March 25 2008, 12:44 AM   #11
Ptrope
Agitator

roliver wrote: View Post
Ptrope wrote: View Post
Sounds like the typical Star Trek marketing, to me ... of course they're going to release S. 2 in hi-def, but only after they've screwed fans out of another $120
Only *you* can screw yourself out of your own money. People need to stop blaming movie/TV studios for how they spend their own money.
We're not blaming them for how they spend their money - only for how they market their wares to get ours. It's true that only *I* can screw myself out of $$, and I certainly won't be doing it, but I also know, and they know, that there are many fans who will do it, given the opportunity, and they're awful quick to exploit that. Tell me you don't think that Trek, in particular, is incredibly overpriced, based upon the actual content of the sets. I realize that it's up to a seller to basically price his wares at what the market will bear, regardless of cost, but there's such a thing as gouging, and that's what they do to Trek fans, either by pricing the sets exorbitantly, or, by knowing the tendencies of their captive market, separating the product into multiple 'versions' in order to get as much money as possible, that even they know they couldn't get away with if it was all in a single wrapper.
Old March 25 2008, 05:02 AM   #12
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I'm in total agreement with you there, Ptrope. Trek is by and large the worst example of price gouging on the DVD market. Yeah, the DVDs are nicely done, and they're chock-full of special features, but when it gets down to brass tacks, people are buying the DVDs for the episodes, and that's where the value starts to fall apart... a full season of one-hour Trek episodes retails for what, $120? $130?* A comparable full season of Boston Legal or 24 goes for half as much. Paramount's charging an arm and a leg because they know the Trekkies will let them get away with it.

*I realize the prices have been lowered as time marched on, but let's face it... those were obscene, ridiculous prices, even in the earlier days of TV-on-DVD.
Old March 26 2008, 12:35 AM   #13
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I recently bought a season of DS9 on DVD for $62.99 at Best Buy. Not to say that the DVDs weren't overpriced when released, but they're at least decently priced now. I paid maybe $80-100 for my earlier DS9 sets. If you are the kind of person who can wait, then everything is a-ok. But I think the vast majority of us can't wait. I know I bought BSG s. 3 on DVD a day or two after the release date. Whenever it includes new material, i.e. an extended episode, then I'm very tempted to buy it ASAP.