Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 20 2008, 12:53 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Arthur C. Clarke Dead

Arthur C. Clarke, author of books such as Childhood's End, The Nine Billion Names of God and 2001:A Space Odyssey, passed away today at his adopted home of Sri Lanka.

As reported by the International Herald Tribune, the English-born author died of respiratory complications and heart failure.

Born in 1917 in Minehead, England, he began writing science fiction in 1937. in 1945, he sold the short story Rescue Party to a magazine now called Astounding Science Fiction. More stories followed and he became a freelance writer, penning or collaborating on almost one hundred books.

Clarke was in the Royal Air Force in the Second World War, where he worked with a team of engineers who had developed the first radar-controlled system for landing airplanes in bad weather. He was the first to propose the idea of communication satellites, although he neglected to patent the idea, to his later regret.

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry credited Clarke's writings with encouraging him to keep on with his Star Trek project in the face of television executive indifference.

A Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode honored Clarke by an in-joke for the Far Beyond the Stars episode. The magazine for which the 1950s writers worked, Incredible Tales, had a story listed in it titled "1001: First Odyssey".

Clarke left no immediate survivors. He married in 1953, but the couple separated within months, finally divorcing in 1964. They had no children.

To read more, head to the article located here, here and here.

Old March 20 2008, 02:36 AM   #2
Haytil
Captain

Re: Arthur C. Clarke Dead

Technically, "Nine Billion Names of God" is a short story (and also the title of one of his short story collections), and not a book.

It's sad that he didn't have any children.
Old March 20 2008, 04:22 AM   #3
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

^
I know. I own it. The title story is superb. Almost 40 years later, I still remember it!

It is the title of a book he wrote, even if it's short stories, so that should count as a book by him.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old March 20 2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Pioneer
Captain

He was a brilliant man who will be sadly missed.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old March 20 2008, 09:43 AM   #5
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Also, Astounding Science Fiction is now being published as Analog. It's the longest continually published SF magazine; there was a brief interruption when it switched publishers, but it has then gone on continuously since 1933.

As I said in the Misc thread, I've been reading Clarke since I was ten years old and his influence on my life is incalculable. He was a great man, a great writer and a great humanitarian; the world needs more such people. I've been expecting his death for a while because of his declining health, but it's still like losing an old friend or a mentor.

RIP, ACC.
Old March 20 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Timofnine

Wow, a great shame. Though to be honest I thought he died about 100 years ago, I had no idea that he was a 20th century science fiction writer! How strange! :s
Old March 20 2008, 03:31 PM   #7
JohnChod
Captain

RIP, Mr. Clarke. I've enjoyed so much of your work over the years. You will be missed.

I recall a sci-fi class I took in high school that included Childhood's End. That's still one of my all-time favorites.

I was wondering how he was doing while recently watching him in the special features on the two-disk 2001.
Old March 22 2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Wrecks
Cadet

Why no mention of his boyfriend? "Clarke left no immediate survivors" seems like blatent homophobia.
Old March 23 2008, 12:17 AM   #9
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

Aw jeez. 1 post for this shit?

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old March 23 2008, 05:07 AM   #10
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Timofnine wrote: View Post
Wow, a great shame. Though to be honest I thought he died about 100 years ago, I had no idea that he was a 20th century science fiction writer! How strange! :s
He's one of the greatest.
Peace and rest, Mr. Clarke.
Old March 23 2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Wrecks wrote: View Post
Why no mention of his boyfriend? "Clarke left no immediate survivors" seems like blatent homophobia.
You signed up to post that?!? Sigh, the quality of trolling sure has deteriorated over the years.