Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 5 2008, 01:03 AM   #16
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

Re: DS9 should get Remastered

It's fine the way it is now
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 03:05 AM   #17
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I would love to see it but it's unlikely. I would say WYLB needs the most work of the entire series just to get rid of all the stock footage. If they start anywhere it should be there.

TNG would definately be done before DS9 and even VOY before DS9 due to it's popularity in other countries.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 03:37 AM   #18
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Personally, I think this whole re-ing thing is getting out of hand.

I'm not making plans, I'm re-imagining.

I'm not going to the gym, I'm re-mastering.

I'm not shooting myself in the head, I'm re-booting

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate.
Old March 5 2008, 06:34 AM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The wiki entry indicates that "Enterprise" began broadcasting in HD about half-way through season Three.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 06:41 AM   #20
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
The wiki entry indicates that "Enterprise" began broadcasting in HD about half-way through season Three.
Still, the whole series was made to be airable in HD from the start. This is because videotape was never used to edit or to do the effects.

As for TNG, DS9 and Voyager: All of the film footage exists. So they could theoretically remaster all of them as well. It may be complicated beyond imagining, but they could do it. I'm forced to wonder, though, why bother remastering TOS if they didn't have ambitions to do the same for those three series?

Perhaps we'll get a 'Remastered Fan Collective' for each series (or one collective comprising all three).
Old March 5 2008, 09:41 AM   #21
martin
Lieutenant Commander

In some ways it would be easier than TOS-HD. There should be very minimal film restoration treatment, they wont be restricted by pre-existing optical effects, timings, and audio mixes.

Also closeups of displays wont need re-making (i.e. the stardate display in TOS) and the computer displays are all LCARS so pretty easy for Okuda to re-do.

Also the re-masterers will have more creative freedom, in episode edits, and SFX.

The most expensive part of the process will be time and wages...
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2008, 07:40 PM   #22
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

HD yes, remastering effects, no need.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2008, 09:26 PM   #23
Trekwatcher
Fleet Captain

Location: Talos IV. Taking Tango out for a ride in the countryside

Trekmaster555 wrote: View Post
the whole Deep Space nine series should get remastered.

Definitely not, IMHO. I am rewatching all of DS9 from start to finish right now and from the get go in "Emissary" they were spot on with the effects. Some were corny and silly, but they were clean and well rendered. The models look sharp and clear, too. Leave it be, PLEASE, leave it be.
Trekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 03:13 AM   #24
ktanner3

The only thing that needs to be done with DS9 is a good digital transfer to Blue Ray. The DVDS aren't that bad as is, but I wouldn't mind a digital transfer for Blue-Ray. But no, we don't need new effect shots. There were more than enough effect shots for this series. The Original Star Trek and The Next Generation are the only shows that could use updated effects.
Old March 11 2008, 04:12 AM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

ktanner3 wrote: View Post
The only thing that needs to be done with DS9 is a good digital transfer to Blue Ray.
They would have to remaster the show for that to happen.

As has already been pointed out, since DS9, TNG and Voyager were edited on videotape - and had their EFX done on videotape - it is literally impossible to show them in HD, or to release them on Blu-Ray.

A remastering is *required* for either of those to happen. It's unavoidable.
Old March 11 2008, 06:48 AM   #26
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

View Zefram_Cochrane's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via AIM to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Yahoo to Zefram_Cochrane

Absolutely. I'm all for clinging to the past, but I am thoroughly enjoying the TOS-R episodes right now. And I watched every one of the 79 episodes during syndication in the early 80s to the point that my dad threatened to destroy all TVs in the house. (it got worse when I discovered videotaping)

As other have said, if they do a re-release for HD, it's gotta be done anyway. If that happens, DS9 would be the ONLY series I would re-buy under the new format. TOS, TNG, VOY and certainly not ENT gets that honor on my shelf. DS9 was the best!

-- ZC

Visit my writing blog or my fanfic profile at Ad Astra.
Zefram_Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2008, 03:34 AM   #27
ktanner3

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
The only thing that needs to be done with DS9 is a good digital transfer to Blue Ray.

As has already been pointed out, since DS9, TNG and Voyager were edited on videotape - and had their EFX done on videotape - it is literally impossible to show them in HD, or to release them on Blu-Ray.

And that's all well and good. Most of us saying no to remastering just want to make sure that the show stays the same and doesn't get the Star Wars treatment.
Old March 12 2008, 04:25 AM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post

And that's all well and good. Most of us saying no to remastering just want to make sure that the show stays the same and doesn't get the Star Wars treatment.
Not even to fix obvious errors, like the second Defiant's registry number?
Old March 12 2008, 03:49 PM   #29
TeutonicNights
Commander

If it happens I'd like to have a real final battle, not a "best of DS9 battles" montage like the one that aired.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2008, 09:32 PM   #30
James Pike
Lieutenant

So my upconverting DVD player on a 1080i TV is remastering the DVDs? Because it looks fine to me.
You seem to be confusing re-mastering with re-doing. Re-mastering is just making a new master copy in a different format.
Friends was filmed on tape, hell, look how many shows were filmed on tape, but I can buy them on DVD.
If the MASTER tapes are still around, then all that need sto be done is the tape is sent through the scanner they use and a computer sharpens colors and lines and creates a new frame. Not much to it other than artist touch ups in spots.
You act like they can't do it because of the SFX shots, but how did they do it for TOS? Sure they re-did the effects, but the scenes with people in it weren't reshot. You just run them through a filter to clean it up.

DS9, TNG, Voy just need to be upconverted to Blue Ray.
James Pike is offline   Reply With Quote