New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 16 2008, 12:33 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Pegg Is A Self-Described Sci-Fi Geek

Simon Pegg considers himself fortunate to be working on a show of which he is a fan and looks forward to doing it again every three years.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, from an interview posted by Collider.com, a fateful email lead to his role as Scotty in Star Trek XI. "I got back from New York and switched on my phone to find an email from J.J.," said Pegg. "It read, simply, 'Do you want to play Scotty?' I didn't say yes straight away. I called J.J. and said, 'this is a huge commitment. I don't know if I should.' J.J. simply said, if the worst thing that happens is we get together every three years and have a great time, what's to worry about. I was convinced after that."

Pegg is sensitive to the fact that his character Scotty was done first by James Doohan. "I'm very aware that the character of Scotty belongs to James Doohan," he said. "The man is a legend and it will always be his. Anything I do is a tribute to him." He met with Chris Doohan, son of James. "I actually got to meet his son Chris, which was a real treat," said Pegg. "He told me a few stories from the old days, not least actually being on set when they were shooting 'The Trouble With Tribbles'. He gave me a little bit of dilithium crystal from the show. I felt honored."

Being a fan of Star Trek means that Pegg has his favorite Star Trek series. "I would say the original [series] because it's the original," he explained when asked to rank the shows in order of preference. "[Then] TNG because it reignited the franchise, Voyager because of Seven of Nine, Deep Space Nine because of that fantastic throwback episode, the cartoon [The Animated Series] because I remember it vaguely, and lastly, Enterprise because I never saw it." Pegg went on to give "an honorable mention...to Star Trek: New Voyages which can be found on the 'net which has to be one of the most amazing examples of fan based dedication out there."

His favorite Captain was (not surprisingly) James T. Kirk. "I would say Shatner's Kirk is my favorite Captain because he created such a brilliantly charismatic character."

To read more of the interview, head to the article located here.

Old March 16 2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pegg Is A Self-Described Sci-Fi Geek

GEEKS UNITE!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Old March 16 2008, 06:31 AM   #3
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I don't know, but for a geek I would have expected a bit more substance when he ranked the series. Yeah it's a tad bit picky but still.
Old March 16 2008, 02:48 PM   #4
MadBaggins
Captain

TrekToday wrote: View Post
<font color=yellow>Simon Pegg</font> considers himself fortunate to be working on a show of which he is a fan and looks forward to doing it again every three years. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://trekmovie.com/">TrekMovie.com</A>, from an interview posted by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com">Collider.com</A>, a fateful email lead to his role as Scotty in <i>Star Trek XI</i>. "I got back from New York and switched on my phone to find an email from J.J.," said Pegg. "It read, simply, 'Do you want to play Scotty?' I didn't say yes straight away. I called J.J. and said, 'this is a huge commitment. I don't know if I should.' J.J. simply said, if the worst thing that happens is we get together every three years and have a great time, what's to worry about. I was convinced after that."<p>Pegg is sensitive to the fact that his character Scotty was done first by <font color=yellow>James Doohan</font>. "I'm very aware that the character of Scotty belongs to James Doohan," he said. "The man is a legend and it will always be his. Anything I do is a tribute to him." He met with <font color=yellow>Chris Doohan</font>, son of James. "I actually got to meet his son Chris, which was a real treat," said Pegg. "He told me a few stories from the old days, not least actually being on set when they were shooting 'The Trouble With Tribbles'. He gave me a little bit of dilithium crystal from the show. I felt honored."<p>Being a fan of <i>Star Trek</i> means that Pegg has his favorite <i>Star Trek</i> series. "I would say the original [series] because it's the original," he explained when asked to rank the shows in order of preference. "[Then] TNG because it reignited the franchise, Voyager because of Seven of Nine, Deep Space Nine because of that fantastic throwback episode, the cartoon [The Animated Series] because I remember it vaguely, and lastly, Enterprise because I never saw it." Pegg went on to give "an honorable mention...to Star Trek: New Voyages which can be found on the 'net which has to be one of the most amazing examples of fan based dedication out there."<p>His favorite Captain was (not surprisingly) James T. Kirk. "I would say Shatner's Kirk is my favorite Captain because he created such a brilliantly charismatic character."<p>To read more of the interview, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/7226/tcid/1/pg/2">here</A>.<center></center>
Voyager above DS9. I'm going to burn my Hot Fuzz DVD.
Old March 16 2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

You do realize there are people of feel that DS9 is not "Star Trek"?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 16 2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Hey, the fact he even knows about the animated series (and New Voyages) make him geekier than your average person, even if he's way below the level of geekiness of your average TrekBBS poster. His observations are pretty interesting, especially proving that to the quasi-casual viewer Seven of Nine did get name recognition. She's the only character from any show he mentions. It also confirms that DS9 is often best known for "Trials and Tribble-ations", at least out there. Where I am, DS9 is best known as the one with Colm Meaney (and is still pretty popular), but that's perspective.

- All About Eve.
Old March 16 2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

This was the one aspect of Pegg's casting that I was not in the least bit concerned, since just from watching "Shaun of the Dead" I could tell he was "one of us."

It was trying to figure out why he got the pick over Paul McGillion that has me flummoxed.
Old March 16 2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
It was trying to figure out why he got the pick over Paul McGillion that has me flummoxed.
Same here.
Old March 16 2008, 10:47 PM   #9
ITL
Vice Admiral

I, however, was unflummoxed.

Old March 16 2008, 11:03 PM   #10
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

As expected he's never seen ENT and so get's everyone's vote because of it.
Old March 17 2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Pioneer
Captain

Pensive wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Same here.
Ditto. Paul McGillion wouldn't have needed to be "convinced" to play Scotty.

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
As expected he's never seen ENT and so get's everyone's vote because of it.

As expected? Anyone who hasn't seen all of Star Trek, including Enterprise, isn't a Star Trek fan. End of story.
That's right. Simon Pegg isn't a geek, he's just pandering to the geeks. He's a fake geek. He's a feek™!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old March 17 2008, 06:14 PM   #12
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Pioneer wrote: View Post

As expected? Anyone who hasn't seen all of Star Trek, including Enterprise, isn't a Star Trek fan. End of story.
That's right. Simon Pegg isn't a geek, he's just pandering to the geeks. He's a fake geek. He's a feek™!
So even though I've been following Star Trek since I was four, I've never seen the animated series so that doesn't make me a Trek fan. Who knew?
Old March 17 2008, 08:34 PM   #13
Pioneer
Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Pioneer wrote: View Post

So even though I've been following Star Trek since I was four, I've never seen the animated series so that doesn't make me a Trek fan. Who knew?
I did. And now, so do you.

The Animated Series is available at stores or via NetFlix. They're actually pretty good.
So go get caught up, pseudo-fan (Psan™).
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)