Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 15 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

Taking on a Star Trek XI role was on account of J.J. Abrams, not from being a fan of Star Trek.

As reported by Blackfilm.com, Tyler Perry explained why he agreed to work in Star Trek XI. "J.J called and said, 'I'm a fan and would love for you to do my movie' and I said, 'Great! I'll call you back.' I called my agent and was like, 'Who is this guy?' and he said I need to look at his stuff. I was so impressed with what he does because it parallels a lot of my own stuff."

Unlike some of the Star Trek XI actors, Perry is not a Star Trek fan. He decided to take part in Star Trek XI solely because of J.J. Abrams. "...it was J.J Abrams," said Perry. "He talked me into it and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no.

Perry will apparently be playing the head of Starfleet Academy. His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet. Perry could not give details, bound by the confidential agreement he signed. "All I can tell you is that I love J.J Abrams," said Perry. "He is the absolute reason I did it. He and I have a lot of things in common. He's got television and film and I was watching him direct, and people coming to him and asking him things and it was eerie because it was so much like my own life and my own situation. The only difference is that he has a wife and two kids and I don't know how he does it with the family."

To read the article, head to the link located here.

Old March 15 2008, 02:11 AM   #2
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

TrekToday wrote: View Post
I was so impressed with what he does because it parallels a lot of my own stuff."
Lots of parallels... my favorites are J.J. Abram's Lost and J.J. Abram's Cloverfield
Old March 15 2008, 03:27 AM   #3
ancient
Vice Admiral

I don't see familiarity as a requirement for this kind of role.
Old March 15 2008, 03:28 AM   #4
ancient
Vice Admiral

Meaning, a new character. (where hath the edit button gone?!)
Old March 15 2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.
Old March 15 2008, 04:11 AM   #6
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

All I want to know is if Perry will be playing a man or an eldery black woman with attitude...
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old March 15 2008, 10:35 AM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Turbo wrote: View Post

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.
Blame hanging around Gary Mitchell too long for that.
:thumbsup:
Old March 15 2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Timofnine

.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no

Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.
Old March 15 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I disagree. There was one throw-away line that said that Kirk was a "stack of books with legs." Perhaps the expulsion was the reason on why he became like that. Also, it just takes one incident to face exclusion.
Old March 15 2008, 09:21 PM   #10
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

You know, Wesley Crusher was a walking stack of books with legs.

And he was nearly expelled too.

It's always the quiet ones...
Old March 16 2008, 12:15 AM   #11
Basil
Fleet Captain

Broccoli wrote: View Post

I disagree. There was one throw-away line that said that Kirk was a "stack of books with legs." .
Actually, considerably more -- his admission (to Bones if memory serves) that he was positively grim as a cadet, his interplay with Finnegan, a trickster who constantly picked on him for it, Mitchell's whole "think or sink" comment about Kirk's class and how he pushed a lab assistant toward Kirk to get him to loosen up, etc. Combine that with his quieter, more thoughtful characterization in the first season, and it adds up to Kirk being quite studious and "by the book" in his earlier years. Even Meyer's issue with Kirk "cheating" didn't necessarily suggest he was a cocky hothead with a flaming libido -- that was more the half-assed retconning of the character in a so-so novel (Enterprise, perhaps?) to fit an individual author's imagining. And even if "stack of books with legs" was the only line, it's hardly "throwaway" if it sums up who he was as a character.
Old March 16 2008, 01:38 AM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Timofnine wrote: View Post
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no

Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst.
Old March 17 2008, 06:29 AM   #13
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst.

Well said, Temis.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old March 17 2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Pioneer
Captain

I'm an American and I've never heard of him either. So I looked him up on IMDB and I didn't recognize him nor any of his work. And yes, it helps to be a fan if you're going to be an actor in a Star Trek movie. I would say it's essential.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old March 18 2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Aragorn
Admiral

You know, the parallels to Madea's Family Reunion and Mission: Impossible III are startling. And Daddy's Little Girls is totally a big screen take on Lost.