RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 850
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 13 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Donny
Commander

My Star Trek Mod

Hello everyone. I've been working on a Star Trek MOD for a very old computer game called "Star Wars: Mysteries of the Sith." Yes, an old game, but I've been working with it for years so it's hard to give up. Anyway, I was thinking you guys here at TrekBBS would enjoy my renditions of the TOS Enterprise interiors. Enjoy!

Also, I've got more coming. I'll keep you all updated on this thread.

Last edited by Donny; March 13 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2008, 07:56 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: My Star Trek Mod

^ That's veeeeeeeeery nice!
I like the darkened atmosphere.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Donny
Commander

Old March 13 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Redfern
Commodore

D*mn! about the only things that gives them away as game resolution graphics are the fish-eye wide angle lens and the lower polygon count for curved surfaces. But in terms of actual detail, you are on the money! You even have the skulls in McCoy's office! Sweet! (This forum needs a hand clapping emoticon!)

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Q2UnME
Commodore

Sweet Jesus..... These are great. Really, really beautiful and very nice details. You say these are a modification "package" for a game? I'm a total n00b when it comes to things like this, but could these sets be imported into other 3D animation packages like Lightwave, Mya or the like.

There are several folks here (Ptrope, Redfern and others) working on a little project to redo Star Trek: The Animated Series using 3D animation (done in Poser, I think). Between the bridge, halls, sick bay, McCoy's office and lab, you basically almost have all the "standing sets" done. Perhaps you and our "Fearless Leader Mod" here should have a little chat. You've got mad skills; I'm sure they'd welcome your input, help, contributions, etc...

Nicely done!

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Most impressive work, especially considering that the engine is 11 years old.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Ptrope
Agitator

Holy underwear! That's some really impressive stuff, there, Donny (and welcome to the forum, too ). Is what we're looking at real lighting in the game engine, or baked into the textures? Either way, it looks great!

I bet this would make a great pre-viz tool ...
Old March 14 2008, 12:04 AM   #8
Donny
Commander

Ptrope: The general lighting of each shot is the actual lighting of the game. However, the "3DOs" or 3D Objects, similar to Quake III's MD3s, are unaffected by this particular gaming engine's lighting system. Therefore, I have to "bake" the lighting into the textures on the objects that are not a part of the general architecture.

For example, the second corridor shot has no "baking". On the other hand, in the examination room, every standalone object, such as the chair, the exam bed, and the excercise bed, all have textures with lighting baked into it.

To be honest, I hate having to suffer the extra work required by this particular limiation, but in some cases it allows more control.
Old March 14 2008, 12:31 AM   #9
misskim86
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to misskim86

THAT'S AWESOME!! You should be really proud!

Did you make all the models?
Old March 14 2008, 12:36 AM   #10
Donny
Commander

Everything you see was made by me. All textures, models, and architecture made from scratch. (Except for the spacial phenomena displays on the bridge, and the chairs, which were made by a friend)
Old March 14 2008, 12:49 AM   #11
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

OH! GOLLY!

THATS AWSOME!!!!! :thumbsup:
Old March 14 2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

That is some really nice stuff!

Off topic, I noticed that Donny is only a cadet but was able to post his pictures. Has there been an exception made for this forum? Not that I have a problem with it, I'm just curious.

Again, nice work!
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2008, 02:17 PM   #13
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Donny wrote: View Post
Ptrope: The general lighting of each shot is the actual lighting of the game. However, the "3DOs" or 3D Objects, similar to Quake III's MD3s, are unaffected by this particular gaming engine's lighting system. Therefore, I have to "bake" the lighting into the textures on the objects that are not a part of the general architecture.

For example, the second corridor shot has no "baking". On the other hand, in the examination room, every standalone object, such as the chair, the exam bed, and the excercise bed, all have textures with lighting baked into it.

To be honest, I hate having to suffer the extra work required by this particular limiation, but in some cases it allows more control.
This is probably an advantage when working with movie and tv sets. Trying to get it to look right when you're only using the on-screen lighting is next to impossible since the production crew had high-powered lights pertched off-screen. Just look at how overly dark the Promenade is in DS9: The Fallen, for example.

Anyway, this is spectacular work. Kudos!
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Sean_McCormick
Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
That is some really nice stuff!

Off topic, I noticed that Donny is only a cadet but was able to post his pictures. Has there been an exception made for this forum? Not that I have a problem with it, I'm just curious.

Again, nice work!
Noticed that too. Might it be, that the 100 post rule was not implemented on the new forum?
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Magic04
Lieutenant Commander

Wow, beautiful work, Donny!!
Then what does Congress mean?

- Nipsey Russell (1925-2005, RIP)
Magic04 is offline   Reply With Quote