Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 10 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Schematics made with Vance's toolkit

Since i now can post images here, i thought it a good idea to share some of the scematics, i've done with Vance's toolkit. If anybody else wants to show schematics done with the toolkit, feel free to add it here.

So, here are some of my schematics:

Congress class heavy cruiser

This is supposed to be an intermediate design between the Horizon and Constitution classes. Republic might have been build to this configuration and ships of the Horizon class might have been refitted to this specification.
The general arragement is similar to the Horiozon/Daedalus, but the primary hull has developed into the familiar saucer shape.
The shortened B and C deck structure is directly inspired by EliyahuQeoni's Yorktown, the more blockier impulse engines follow a similar reasoning than on his design, but were in place on this design before he put them out on one of his revisions.

Zuikaku class heavy cruiser

Another intermediate design, this time between Horizon and my Congress classes. The engineering hull is the same as on Congress and the primary hull is an intermediate step between the sphere of Horizon and the saucer of later designs.

Destiny class survey cruiser.

A variant of the Zuikaku, the Destiny adds a second sensor dish facing aft and therefore moves the front facing main sensor down to make room in the forward main hull for the hangar bay. Shortening the interconnecting dorsal was necessary to compensate for changes in the warp-field caused by the lowered main sensor.

Argus class scout

A first attempt in creating a smaller design without a secondary hull similar to FJ's Saladin and Hermes based on the main hull of Zuikaku.

Sagittarius class destroyer

Another attempt to adapt the one hull, one engine design of Saladin and Hermes on a spherical main hull. The Bussard collector has been removed from the nacelle, which has been connected to the hull in a similar fashon to the Mann class, and is connected on the front side of the hull.

Last edited by Sean_McCormick; March 10 2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: Schematics made with Vance's toolkit

Great Designs they make for a good addition to the Pre-Tos ship era
Old March 10 2008, 04:21 PM   #3
AmbassadorKosh
Lieutenant

Yes indeed, good looking additions to the lore of Trek. Although the Sagittarius took a moment to wrap around.
AmbassadorKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Very nice! I especially like the neck on the Congress and the tweaks to the Daedelus-type primary hulls.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Wingsley
Commodore

Hey, Sean...

Check out Karim Nassar's take on the Daedalus. He came up with some interesting adaptations:

http://www.karimnassar.com/design/daedalus.php
Old March 10 2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Kendric2000
Commander

Here are a few I've put together with Vance's toolkits, just for my enjoyment, I endeavored to make stuff look even. But I'm not as good as Vance...lol.

The Oracle Class Listening Post, a quick outpost thats cobbled together with premade structure and parts. Something that Starfleet Intel can assemble at a moments notice, a spy station of sorts.

And a the Argus Class Cruiser and Dreadnaught. I wanted to make a fast looking Cruiser with the shovel style saucer section. Kind of a quick strike craft.

Kendric2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Kendric2000
Commander

LOL....I just noticed that Sean made an Argus Class himself....

Great trek minds think alike I guess....
Kendric2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Nice Designs
Old March 10 2008, 11:31 PM   #9
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Thanks for the positive reception.

@Kendric

Also nice designs. And regarding the names, there are only so much good sounding names, unless you start naming your ships for battlefields of the romulan war or famous politicians of the 22nd century.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Wingsley
Commodore

Sean,

Here are some examples from Masao's Starfleet Museum you may find inspirational:

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/amarillo.htm

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/krechet.htm

This next couple I would love to see as a kind of speciality tug for moving pre-fabbed space stations from Starbase to remote locations; I would reverse the orientation of the whole ship so the bow is the stern and vica versa. The long, tubular section on the stern is the pre-fabbed space station module, which can be jettisoned at the destination, already manned and operational.

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/pioneer.htm

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/conqueror.htm

Here's a neat design, except for the third nacelle; maybe a secondary hull/pod could be attached there, with a deflector dish:

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/wasp.htm

And here's another great design, which has similarities to Vance's recent Armstrong class:

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/moskva.htm

And here are a couple of similar designs:

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/gagarin.htm

http://www.starfleet-museum.org/hyperion.htm
Old March 11 2008, 01:50 AM   #11
jep316
Fleet Captain

I'm glad someone made this thread..maybe we can get more people to post their Vance's toolkit inspired work.

Here's the first of mine...

"Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever,you keep on talking." Hank Hill
jep316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 02:43 AM   #12
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Wow that Mustang looks Bad-ass
Old March 11 2008, 03:07 AM   #13
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Seems to have a lot of bells and whistles...

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 04:48 AM   #14
jep316
Fleet Captain

Next one...

"Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever,you keep on talking." Hank Hill
jep316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 05:19 AM   #15
Wingsley
Commodore

I had once thought about making a post-TNG-era intergalactic explorer vessel based on a group of saucers, all attached around a central stardrive hull. Each saucer could be jettisoned, to serve either as a planetfall colony or as a core for a space station. I called the concept the GS Universe.

Depending on how these colony-saucers are expected to function, the saucer-mounted hangar of Vance's Masao-class (uprated/TMP) might add functionality to each of them.

Last edited by Wingsley; March 11 2008 at 05:42 AM.
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote