RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,053
Posts: 5,431,281
Members: 24,923
Currently online: 670
Newest member: In_Correct

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 10 2008, 06:02 AM   #121
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Rabid Trekkie wrote: View Post
Ah, I thought that even though Tokyopop put the mangas together, that the publisher of the books were in charge. My mistake.
Nope. TokyoPop's in charge of their stuff, Pocket's in charge of their stuff, and IDW's in charge of their stuff.
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 01:25 PM   #122
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

And even within a single publisher, there's no strict requirement that separate works must be in continuity with each other. For instance, the Crucible trilogy and the Shatnerverse books both have continuity differences from the majority of books published these days. Consistency with onscreen Trek is a requirement for all tie-ins, but consistency with other tie-ins is merely an option.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 02:53 PM   #123
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Consistency with onscreen Trek is a requirement for all tie-ins, but consistency with other tie-ins is merely an option.
And even the former is malleable, else Myriad Universes would be a no-go. :thumbsup:
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 02:59 PM   #124
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

^^Well, that's different. In MyrU, we're overtly saying that these tales take place in alternate timeline branches from the canonical timeline. The assumption is that onscreen, canonical Trek did happen as shown, just in a different quantum reality from what's depicted in these tales. And that is itself consistent with Trek canon, given "Parallels" and all the history-changing episodes.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 03:24 PM   #125
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Ok, I'm seeing all kinds of guessing as to the "captain long thought dead" and so far, it seems like we're missing an obvious one (or it could be my mind wandering).

We've got a setup where we're talking about the Borg, and possibly an origin (assuming the pulses tie into it). And a Captain long-thought to be dead.

First name that comes to mind, in light of all of this, is Decker.

Makes the assumption that V'ger had a run-in with early Borg, but I don't think that's too big a leap, it seems to fit to me, and makes more sense than dragging in a strange cameo.

Definitely either him, or the Captain of the Columbia. As Ezri is finding the Columbia while Riker is finding the dead captain, though, doesn't seem like they belong together. Death of Columbia could be a symptom of the problem, and Decker a possible way to kill the Borg for good...

Just where my mind wanders when considering the stuff we've heard so far...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 04:06 PM   #126
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^Well, that's different. In MyrU, we're overtly saying that these tales take place in alternate timeline branches from the canonical timeline. The assumption is that onscreen, canonical Trek did happen as shown, just in a different quantum reality from what's depicted in these tales. And that is itself consistent with Trek canon, given "Parallels" and all the history-changing episodes.
That pretty much completely nullifies "continuity with onscreen Trek" as a requirement, then, because any author can claim that their work is in a separate reality.

Either MyrU is bending the "continuity" rule, or it doesn't exist (literally, at least; it could still exist functionally in Paramount's rejections, of course).
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 04:08 PM   #127
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Scout101 wrote: View Post
First name that comes to mind, in light of all of this, is Decker.

Makes the assumption that V'ger had a run-in with early Borg, but I don't think that's too big a leap, it seems to fit to me, and makes more sense than dragging in a strange cameo.
Possible, but Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens already tread that ground in The Return; I'd rather see Destiny offer something new (and hopefully actually interesting ) where the Borg are concerned.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 04:18 PM   #128
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido
 
KRAD's Avatar
 
Location: New York City
View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

ATimson wrote: View Post
That pretty much completely nullifies "continuity with onscreen Trek" as a requirement, then, because any author can claim that their work is in a separate reality.

Either MyrU is bending the "continuity" rule, or it doesn't exist (literally, at least; it could still exist functionally in Paramount's rejections, of course).
Huh? Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet (likely), but I'm not following your logic here even a little bit.

The entire premise of MyrU is that it's alternate quantum realities, where it's consistent with the mainline universe (to wit, onscreen Trek canon) up to the point of divergence.

Saying that that therefore applies to any other book is a huge leap in logic. Authors can't "claim" that they're writing alternate realities if they're inconsistent, because they're not doing books about alternate realities, unless it's specifically dubbed as such (MyrU, the various forays to the Mirror Universe, Engines of Destiny, Killing Time, etc.).
__________________
Keith R.A. DeCandido
Blog | Facebook | Twitter

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 04:19 PM   #129
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

ATimson wrote: View Post
That pretty much completely nullifies "continuity with onscreen Trek" as a requirement, then, because any author can claim that their work is in a separate reality.

Either MyrU is bending the "continuity" rule, or it doesn't exist (literally, at least; it could still exist functionally in Paramount's rejections, of course).
That's not true at all. I very much doubt that CBS Licensing (and it is CBS these days, not Paramount) would allow the alternate-timeline card to be exploited as a fudge for any random book. MyrU is a specific subseries, and anything outside of it (or otherwise explicitly labelled as a variant, as KRAD says) will still be expected to conform to onscreen canon. It's anything but a general license for authors to ignore canon.

ATimson wrote: View Post
Possible, but Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens already tread that ground in The Return; I'd rather see Destiny offer something new (and hopefully actually interesting ) where the Borg are concerned.
I daresay you won't be disappointed.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2008, 05:49 PM   #130
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

KRAD wrote: View Post
Huh? Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet (likely), but I'm not following your logic here even a little bit.
All I can say is, it made sense at the time. It's quite possible I didn't explain something right, or indeed that I completely FUBARed the logic; I'll get back to you after my caffeine kicks in. :thumbsup:
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 04:32 PM   #131
ClayinCA
Commodore
 
ClayinCA's Avatar
 
Location: New New Jersey
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Scout101 wrote: View Post
First name that comes to mind, in light of all of this, is Decker.
But no one actually thought Decker was dead, did they? I mean, certainly Kirk and his crew knew that Decker was still alive in some form, and Kirk's official report to Starfleet listed Decker as "missing," not "deceased."
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2008, 04:43 PM   #132
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Depends on how history is looking at it, I suppose. Especially about 100 years after that incident. Kirk was also known for fudging the log entries a bit, so maybe people assumed differently than what he wrote?

For someone in their 30s to be missing for more than 100 years, the "assumed dead" bit gets tagged on in most cases...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2008, 01:05 AM   #133
PhotoM
Lieutenant Commander
 
PhotoM's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Now this is a rumor. A strong one and I will say no more about how I heard and or found out. But Earth might be destroyed.
PhotoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2008, 01:19 AM   #134
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain
 
Julio Angel Ortiz's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

PhotoM wrote: View Post
Now this is a rumor. A strong one and I will say no more about how I heard and or found out. But Earth might be destroyed.
Now that would be pretty bold.

But unless you can back it up with a little more, I think you might find it hard for a lot people to believe it.
__________________
Blog | Star Trek: Titan Guide
Julio Angel Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2008, 01:33 AM   #135
PhotoM
Lieutenant Commander
 
PhotoM's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

check my post. I have been here a long time and not ever done any wild speculation. Do I have the book, cover, and all infront of me? No... Just take it as a rumor for now. But there is a great deal to it. If I am wrong I'll be happy!!!!!!!! Because I think it's be very very bad thing.
PhotoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
borg, david mack, destiny trilogy, novels, scotch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.