RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,578
Posts: 5,423,753
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 517
Newest member: Super Scout

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 4 2008, 04:00 PM   #16
TRP
Lieutenant Commander
 
TRP's Avatar
 
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

To support Thalek's post, it also does not follow that "fan" produced necessarily means amateur. Two of the biggest fans I know of are Manny Coto and Michael Okuda, among others--

The appeal of NV/P2 that has been a draw for many professionals is that the fans of the original series have come together to continue it. The hybrid production that is P2 encompasses fans from all spectrums and localities.

--R
__________________
"TOP SECRET STUFF" www.cafepress.com/topsecretstuff
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 05:47 PM   #17
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

TRP wrote: View Post
To support Thalek's post, it also does not follow that "fan" produced necessarily means amateur. Two of the biggest fans I know of are Manny Coto and Michael Okuda, among others--
Actually, that's exactly what it means. Coto and Okuda were paid to work directly for the copyright holder. Fan films by their very nature don't work for the copyright holder. Sorry to completely deflate your argument, but it was so weak anyway.
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 07:54 PM   #18
TRP
Lieutenant Commander
 
TRP's Avatar
 
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

It doesn't deflate it at all--it strengthens it. Just because a fan film is made by fans doesn't mean the fans are not professionals too. FAN Film does not necessarily equal AMATEUR Film as has been argued.

Manny asked us to contribute to the Defiant episode of Enterprise and Mike has been a contributor to us--both fans, both professionals, and both have a passing aquaintance with NV/P2.

I'll leave it to the other fans who are professionals to identify themselves if they so choose, but it doesn't take much imagination to read our credits at the end of an episode to see where some of our professional participation comes from. The key is they are all FANS.

--R
__________________
"TOP SECRET STUFF" www.cafepress.com/topsecretstuff
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 08:28 PM   #19
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

TRP wrote: View Post
It doesn't deflate it at all--it strengthens it. Just because a fan film is made by fans doesn't mean the fans are not professionals too. FAN Film does not necessarily equal AMATEUR Film as has been argued.
Man, you really don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about, do you?

Manny asked us to contribute to the Defiant episode of Enterprise and Mike has been a contributor to us--both fans, both professionals, and both have a passing aquaintance with NV/P2.
And the two completely separate entities - one with the copyright holder, one without - are the same how? George Takei appeared in an episode of Voyager. That was legally done by contract with the copyright holder. He also appeared in a fan film under the name of "New Voyages" which was not legally done by the copyright holder. The same person worked on both. So what? They're not the same, but you're blindly arguing that they are.
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 09:49 PM   #20
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

"Fan film," "amateur film" and "unlicensed film" are overlapping rather than congruent sets, with "fan film" being the least well-defined of the offerings. Maintaining that if a video is one of these things it is automatically the other two is a failed argument.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 10:11 PM   #21
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
"Fan film," "amateur film" and "unlicensed film" are overlapping rather than congruent sets, with "fan film" being the least well-defined of the offerings. Maintaining that if a video is one of these things it is automatically the other two is a failed argument.
Actually, it's really simple. Either it's licensed and legal, or it's not. To try and create a grey area where none exists is .. disingenuous at best.
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 11:36 PM   #22
Hudson_uk
Lieutenant Commander
 
Hudson_uk's Avatar
 
Location: Nr Cambridge, UK
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

Some might argue that wasn't the point.

The point is that this is now an argument about semantics and perceived meanings of words.

Professional is not equal to high quality and Fan does not equal low quality.

You may well believe that fan produced product is low quality and that's up to you of course. However, it's your opinon and not a definition of the wording.
Hudson_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 12:43 AM   #23
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
"Fan film," "amateur film" and "unlicensed film" are overlapping rather than congruent sets, with "fan film" being the least well-defined of the offerings. Maintaining that if a video is one of these things it is automatically the other two is a failed argument.
Actually, it's really simple. Either it's licensed and legal, or it's not. To try and create a grey area where none exists is .. disingenuous at best.
There is a third area, because it is not against the rules to produce unlicensed material so long as no profit is derived from the product.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 01:27 AM   #24
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

hutt359 wrote: View Post
OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
"Fan film," "amateur film" and "unlicensed film" are overlapping rather than congruent sets, with "fan film" being the least well-defined of the offerings. Maintaining that if a video is one of these things it is automatically the other two is a failed argument.
Actually, it's really simple. Either it's licensed and legal, or it's not. To try and create a grey area where none exists is .. disingenuous at best.
There is a third area, because it is not against the rules to produce unlicensed material so long as no profit is derived from the product.
No - it IS 'against the rules' (read ileagal) to produce unlicensed material; HOWEVER, it is up to the copyright holder to enforce and protect those right in court; OR THEY RISK LOSING the ability to enforce a specific copyright.

IF the statements are in fact true that Paramount has knowledge of this, but is allowing it to continue, they are playing with fire; BUT it may be the case that since this is technically a continuation of the 'STar Trek' TV property; it's up to CBS and not Paramount to 'enforce' the copyrights involved.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 02:40 AM   #25
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

Noname Given wrote: View Post
hutt359 wrote: View Post
OmahaStar wrote: View Post

Actually, it's really simple. Either it's licensed and legal, or it's not. To try and create a grey area where none exists is .. disingenuous at best.
There is a third area, because it is not against the rules to produce unlicensed material so long as no profit is derived from the product.
No - it IS 'against the rules' (read ileagal) to produce unlicensed material; HOWEVER, it is up to the copyright holder to enforce and protect those right in court; OR THEY RISK LOSING the ability to enforce a specific copyright.

IF the statements are in fact true that Paramount has knowledge of this, but is allowing it to continue, they are playing with fire; BUT it may be the case that since this is technically a continuation of the 'STar Trek' TV property; it's up to CBS and not Paramount to 'enforce' the copyrights involved.
It isn't so much a copyright issues as it is a trademark issues. As fan films don't copy actual star trek movies so much as they use trade marked star trek images and common imagery to provide the allusion that it is in the same "world" as the original, licensed, work.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 03:28 AM   #26
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

I get the impression that each of the people involved in this discussion have a slightly different view of what's being argued over. Taking the time to be specific about what you mean would probably put the debate to rest....
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 06:24 AM   #27
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
"Fan film," "amateur film" and "unlicensed film" are overlapping rather than congruent sets, with "fan film" being the least well-defined of the offerings. Maintaining that if a video is one of these things it is automatically the other two is a failed argument.
Actually, it's really simple. Either it's licensed and legal, or it's not.
Well, duh. I didn't suggest otherwise.

If, hypothetically, the studio granted explicit permission to these people to make these films, would that mean that they were automatically not amateur films? If something is unlicensed, is it necessarily the work of amateurs? "Amateur" is a word that actually means something, you know, and has bugger-all to do with legal standing per se. In fact, some of the work done on NV is done by amateurs, and at least in this instance much was not; it was performed by working professionals for remuneration.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 11:20 AM   #28
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

Noname Given wrote: View Post

IF the statements are in fact true that Paramount has knowledge of this, but is allowing it to continue, they are playing with fire; BUT it may be the case that since this is technically a continuation of the 'STar Trek' TV property; it's up to CBS and not Paramount to 'enforce' the copyrights involved.
At this stage, I think you'll find it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that CBS knows about it. I doubt there's many fanfilms that fall beyond their radar, and New Voyages certainly isn't one of them.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid

Last edited by USS Intrepid; March 5 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 04:10 PM   #29
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
"Fan film," "amateur film" and "unlicensed film" are overlapping rather than congruent sets, with "fan film" being the least well-defined of the offerings. Maintaining that if a video is one of these things it is automatically the other two is a failed argument.
Actually, it's really simple. Either it's licensed and legal, or it's not.
Well, duh. I didn't suggest otherwise.

If, hypothetically, the studio granted explicit permission to these people to make these films, would that mean that they were automatically not amateur films? If something is unlicensed, is it necessarily the work of amateurs? "Amateur" is a word that actually means something, you know, and has bugger-all to do with legal standing per se. In fact, some of the work done on NV is done by amateurs, and at least in this instance much was not; it was performed by working professionals for remuneration.
I think if you do a quick search on this thread, you'll find that I have not used the A word. At all. I am talking about legal vs. illegal. Why can't you understand this? It's not like it's a difficult concept to grasp.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2008, 06:12 PM   #30
Sean_McCormick
Captain
 
Re: Marc Zicree Talks About New Voyages

That such fan-produced films are technically illegal is IMHO not important to the discussion on the Nebula-awards. Ans i'm pretty sure, Paramount/CBS could not care less, if Cawley does pay people to do his films, they are only interested, if he earnes money with them.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.