Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 4 2008, 01:57 AM   #16
Scott Pearson
Writer

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

David Mack wrote: View Post
Guys, if Destiny was "just another Borg story," I wouldn't be writing it. I'd have done something else. I agreed to spend more than a year of my life on this project because I felt it was worth doing. Have a little faith.

Si, se puede!
I have the faith, man!

Bring on the Big Bad Aaassss Destiny!

Testify!
Old March 4 2008, 02:05 AM   #17
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Guys, if Destiny was "just another Borg story," I wouldn't be writing it. I'd have done something else. I agreed to spend more than a year of my life on this project because I felt it was worth doing. Have a little faith.
Oh, but it's so much more fun to grab hold of one or two factoids from a historically unreliable source, and mercilessly excoriate your year's hard work without having seen the first word of it.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 02:15 AM   #18
JD
Admiral

Despite the fact that the book does feature the Borg, I'm still pretty excited because the other stuff sounds pretty cool IMO. So am I the only one who actually like the idea of Captain Ezri Dax? After all, she was a Commander, and the second officer of DS9/the Defiant when we saw her last, four (five) years before this, so it's not totally ridiculous for her to be a Captain now.
Would it be ok if I put this up on Memory Beta, or should a wait for a more official description?
Old March 4 2008, 02:15 AM   #19
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

[QUOTE=Babaganoosh;1401969]
Xeris wrote: View Post
and Captain Dax? Sorry, but Ezri never struck me as the leadership type, unless we have yet another host.
If it is Ezri, how did she make Captain so fast? Is she the next Kirk?
Remember, "Captain" is both a rank and a title. A Lieutenant in command of a ship is referred to as a "Captain." A small ship like the Defiant can be commanded by someone as low as a Lieutenant Commander, as Jadzia did during season six. (Mind you, I realize that the description doesn't say what Dax is commanding, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.)
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 02:21 AM   #20
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

At least I know I can come here for at least one good laugh a week from the writers. I'm looking forward to this series.
Old March 4 2008, 02:25 AM   #21
Frodo Lives
Captain

I wouldn't say I'm sick of the Borg - just sick of the Borg being written poorly (ie: Resistance, Before Dishonour).

There's a great speech from Bashir in the DS9 Section 31 book on why the Borg are so menacing, which really captured the magic that they as villians can convey - and they're not even in the book!

It's just sad that neither Peter David nor JM Dillard were able to put that into their books. David's moustache-twirling Borg Queen was particualry bad.

I have more than enough faith in both Christopher and Mack to do them justice, and I'm still as psyched as ever about Greater Than the Sum and Destiny. :thumbsup:

Not that I'm sold on this blurb being legit anyway, sounds like the outline for the next Shatner-verse novel, not to mention the NX-02 storyline has just been lifted from the SOTL calendar.

--Peter Jason Quill

Last edited by Frodo Lives; March 4 2008 at 03:08 AM.
Frodo Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 02:29 AM   #22
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

I suspect that there's more to this trilogy than we believe. Perhaps what we are witnessing is...

[/code]
Old March 4 2008, 02:45 AM   #23
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

[QUOTE=Allyn Gibson;1402079]
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Xeris wrote: View Post

If it is Ezri, how did she make Captain so fast? Is she the next Kirk?
Remember, "Captain" is both a rank and a title. A Lieutenant in command of a ship is referred to as a "Captain." A small ship like the Defiant can be commanded by someone as low as a Lieutenant Commander, as Jadzia did during season six. (Mind you, I realize that the description doesn't say what Dax is commanding, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.)
But she wouldn't be called "Captain Dax", as such. She would only be called 'Captain' by the crew under her command.

Frodo Lives wrote: View Post
moustache-twirling Borg Queen
Oy. THERE's a mental image I didn't need.
Old March 4 2008, 03:02 AM   #24
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Could it be that the crossover involves not only the BORG but also Q, Romulans and just about every bad ass motherfucker we've seen over the years?

Last edited by Man of Steel; March 4 2008 at 04:50 AM.
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 04:18 AM   #25
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
But the blurb, assuming it is accurate, says she's been 'newly promoted', which to me at least implies a rather more permanent change in rank than just being the skipper of the Defiant for a while.

EDIT: Sorry for doubling up on you, Allyn, didn't see there was a second page.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old March 4 2008, 04:48 AM   #26
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Just to put things in perspective for everyone, BTW, amazon.co.uk didn't even get the book's title right on their page.

I'm just saying.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 04:54 AM   #27
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile

Just to put things in perspective for everyone, BTW, amazon.co.uk didn't even get the book's title right on their page.

I'm just saying.
Co-signed. The first blurb about SoD was wildly off the mark also. (and, no, I don't know anything more about Destiny than the ret of you).

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 05:10 AM   #28
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Oh, but it's so much more fun to grab hold of one or two factoids from a historically unreliable source, and mercilessly excoriate your year's hard work without having seen the first word of it.
TrekLit Forum meet the Trek XI, Voyager, Enterprise, and DS9 Forums.

Old March 4 2008, 05:28 AM   #29
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

I'm just saying.
This made me curious, so I clicked on the Amazon UK link for Infinity's Prism:
Building on the concept behind the Mirror Universe novels, Myriad Universes takes the theme a step further, into a world where instead of one alternate universe with mirror versions of many Star Trek characters, one single character is reflected across three radically different Star Trek universes. Thus through the very different visions of three separate authors readers can discover three entirely new facets of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Follow our favourite captain into a universe of adventure -- where history takes a different turn and the only limit to what can happen is imagination.

Let me say right here that this is utter and complete baloney. I don't know about Christopher's or James's stories, but Jean-Luc Picard does not in any way, shape or form appear in A Less Perfect Union. If the description of Destiny is anywhere near as accurate, then I almost have to wonder if it actually is a Star Trek project.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 05:42 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

No Picard in Places of Exile either. Clearly the blurb writer was basing that on the stand-in cover with the repeated image of Picard.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote