RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 470
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 2 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Lindelof On 'Star Trek XI' Date Change And Its Effects

Moving Star Trek XI from December 2008 to May 2009 will have positive benefits, says Star Trek XI producer Damon Lindelof.

As reported by Trekmovie.com, according to Lindelof, based on Paramount's growing understanding of the movie, Star Trek XI was more appropriate for a summer release.

"It was being presented to J.J. [Abrams]," said Lindelof, "and I have been hearing the same thing from the studio, that based on the dailies they have been seeing and hanging out on the set and seeing and beginning to understand what the movie is, I think that they are starting to look at it as a big summer crowd-pleaser as opposed to a very sci-fi, not-as-accessible-to a-wider-audience Christmas release. So the reason that they have moved the release date is for their ability to market the film and sort of position it as the Pirates of the Caribbean for next summer."

There are other benefits to the later release. "On a budgetary level probably the most significant effect it will have is that we will not have to rush our post [production]," explained Lindelof. "As you might imagine there are a gazillion effects shots. I have seen some of the early work being done by ILM and [visual effects supervisor] Roger Guyett and it is nothing short of astonishing. So they’ll basically have more time to render those effects than they would have if we had to release it by Christmas. So that will probably make the movie a little less expensive to produce."

Lindelof also talked about how the move would affect the release of a full movie trailer. "Obviously the schedule is now going to change to accommodate the new release date," he said. "My guess is that the strategy will turn more into a slow burn. But at this point we also have to be cognizant of once the film is done, and the more we shoot the more likely it is to invite spoilers if we are holding everything back. So we still want to release those images. As far as for the first trailer trailer, I heard we were still on for the summer to have a full trailer for the movie. But I would not be surprised if they decide to hold that back."

Those working on Star Trek XI wanted to make the movie appealing both to long-term fans and yet attract a new audience. "When we all sat down and started to talk about whether or not we wanted to take on Trek, the question was very simple and that question has remained the same: do we think we can make it good?" said Lindelof. "And there is a way to make that movie where the fans will feel that literally four decades of storytelling and canon is not being ignored, but you make the movie so there is an access point for people who want to come in and hear the band for the first time, as it were. We talked about that and kicked some story ideas around and became totally infected with it."

While Lindelof feels that Star Trek XI will be a good movie and that the change of release date is a positive thing, he couldn't predict whether the attempts to reach a broader audience as well as current fans would succeed. "...Until people start seeing what we are doing, I have no real gauge on whether or not this movie is going to break through to a wider audience. But obviously Paramount thinks so and that is very reassuring for us. Our job remains the same. We are not pandering to make this accessible to people who have never seen Trek, nor are we pandering to the fans. We are just trying to make the best movie we can.

To read the article, head to the link located here.

Old March 2 2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Lindelof On 'Star Trek XI' Date Change And Its Effects

Damon Lindelof is THE man. I believe every word.
Old March 2 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Procutus
Admiral

FINALLY, someone who is in a position to, confirms that the extra time will actually be put to good use in terms of post-production, and that the Suits still weren't pushing for the film to be 'in the can' by its' original schedule.

Okay, I can live with this. I'll settle for May of next year as long as they allow the FX team time to make it as visually staggering as possible, and if they let J.J. reshoot any scenes he feels that he can improve.

I was surprised to find that they're still thinking of releasing a full trailer in the summer given the change, but hey, I won't complain. I wonder if we'll get a second trailer then sometime next winter, or if they'll do only the one and that will be that?
Old March 2 2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Damon Lindelof is THE man. I believe every word.
I've been saying that this move was a good thing, a sign they believe in the product. Glad its been affirmed here.

Sharr
Old March 2 2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

TrekToday wrote: View Post
"So the reason that they have moved the release date is for their ability to market the film and sort of position it as the Pirates of the Caribbean for next summer."
I think, based on this comment, that we can officially confirm that Chris Pine will have messy dreadlocks and say "Savvy?" at the end of every other sentence.

You heard it here first.
Old March 3 2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If it approaches being the "Pirates Of The Caribbean" of the summer that will be an extraordinary achievement for anything associated with Trek. They may be overreaching a bit, there.
Old March 3 2008, 12:20 AM   #7
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Just a bit.

But I'd be delighted if it was that successful.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old March 3 2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Zulu Romeo
is doing this now

Well, to be fair to Lindelof and co, he's got this other iron in the fire to worry about too. "LOST", I think it's called...

I continue to be Zion Ravescene...
Old March 3 2008, 01:26 AM   #9
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Canadave wrote: View Post
"So the reason that they have moved the release date is for their ability to market the film and sort of position it as the Pirates of the Caribbean for next summer."
I think, based on this comment, that we can officially confirm that Chris Pine will have messy dreadlocks and say "Savvy?" at the end of every other sentence.

You heard it here first.
Sweet! They should have gotten Orlando bloom to play Spock then if that's the angle the were going for. We already know he looks great with pointy ears. Dye his hair and Vulcanize his haircut and there we have it! Oh man someone needs to photoshop that with Chris Pine in dreadlocks.
Old March 3 2008, 02:16 AM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

^

That whole idea just scares me!

Old March 3 2008, 04:43 AM   #11
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
If it approaches being the "Pirates Of The Caribbean" of the summer that will be an extraordinary achievement for anything associated with Trek. They may be overreaching a bit, there.
And here I was hoping for something of Titanic proportions.
Old March 3 2008, 04:50 AM   #12
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
And here I was hoping for something of Titanic proportions.
Says the man whose avatar is forever on the verge of showing us her TITS!
Old March 3 2008, 06:03 AM   #13
Pioneer
Captain

Procutus wrote: View Post
FINALLY, someone who is in a position to, confirms that the extra time will actually be put to good use in terms of post-production, and that the Suits still weren't pushing for the film to be 'in the can' by its' original schedule.

Okay, I can live with this. I'll settle for May of next year as long as they allow the FX team time to make it as visually staggering as possible, and if they let J.J. reshoot any scenes he feels that he can improve.

I was surprised to find that they're still thinking of releasing a full trailer in the summer given the change, but hey, I won't complain. I wonder if we'll get a second trailer then sometime next winter, or if they'll do only the one and that will be that?
Yes. I'm with you on all points. Ditto. Hear, Hear!
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old March 3 2008, 07:18 AM   #14
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Says the man whose avatar is forever on the verge of showing us her TITS!
See the quote on her shirt about streaking?

You and I are old enough to remember that craze.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old March 3 2008, 08:06 AM   #15
TJinPgh
Captain

"...I think that they are starting to look at it as a big summer crowd-pleaser as opposed to a very sci-fi, not-as-accessible-to a-wider-audience Christmas release. So the reason that they have moved the release date is for their ability to market the film and sort of position it as the Pirates of the Caribbean for next summer."
Read: We've spent a bundle on this movie and can't make it up in the 2-4 weeks a Christmas release affords. So, we're moving it to the summer so, IF it lasts long enough, it might show a profit.