Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old February 29 2008, 08:57 AM   #136
felixofgolden
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Shaw wrote: View Post
felixofgolden wrote: View Post
Just so you know, the plan of the phaser control room is wrong when compared to the episode. The entrance is on the other side etc.
Actually... the only difference between these plans and the set as shot was the orientation of the console in the center of the room. Otherwise they followed the set construction plans when redressing main engineering for that episode.

I have already broken up each of the sets and have their individual plans set aside in a folder with screen captures of how the sets actually looked for when I take the time to draw them out myself.

But until that time, I don't have a problem with using Jefferies' drawings as is.
Are you sure about that? The door Spock comes through is on the opposite side than in the set plan. Where it says "console" beside the word "forward" above the word "see" is where the door ended up being put for shooting.
He walks in, the engineering grill is on his right. The camera would be around where the word "dwg" is. The sitdown console is rotated 90 degrees, you're right about that.
If you follow the set plan, the grill would be on his left if he walked in the door that's shown - it's not accurate. I figure that when they got to shooting, it blocked better the way it ended up in the episode.
Double check the episode is my advice.
Old February 29 2008, 09:31 AM   #137
Shaw
Commodore

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Also keep in mind that the pic is kind of midway in the process. It was just the clearest one I had showing the Ion pod bay.
I wasn't expecting you to run out and fix it or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading the plans wrong. I know you aren't able to invest any time in these right now.

Are you sure about that?...
Well, as I had stated at the beginning of this thread...
But don't rush on this because of me, I most likely won't be able to invest any amount of quality time on this until April or so.
So don't expect me to spend any time on putting forward quality stuff. I've been trying to make clear that this is all little more than sketches at this point. Nit picking at elements which aren't being addressed (nor are going to be addressed for months) isn't exactly helpful.

But two to three months from now I'll keep your suggestion in mind... or better yet, you could draw out corrected floor plans for the rest of us. :thumbsup:
Old February 29 2008, 09:40 AM   #138
felixofgolden
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Also keep in mind that the pic is kind of midway in the process. It was just the clearest one I had showing the Ion pod bay.
I wasn't expecting you to run out and fix it or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reading the plans wrong. I know you aren't able to invest any time in these right now.

Are you sure about that?...
Well, as I had stated at the beginning of this thread...
But don't rush on this because of me, I most likely won't be able to invest any amount of quality time on this until April or so.
So don't expect me to spend any time on putting forward quality stuff. I've been trying to make clear that this is all little more than sketches at this point. Nit picking at elements which aren't being addressed (nor are going to be addressed for months) isn't exactly helpful.

But two to three months from now I'll keep your suggestion in mind... or better yet, you could draw out corrected floor plans for the rest of us. :thumbsup:
Okay dokie. Just trying to help.
Old February 29 2008, 02:49 PM   #139
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

This is some more extensive examples of fitting the actual set plans into the Enterprise using Jefferies approximate deck heights. The one major change in the layout of the decks is in the dorsal, where I went with the window spacing as a reference.

This isn't anywhere close to the final layout, just sizing comparisons of the sets to the ship.

Captain Robert April wrote:
Here we go...
I hadn't notice this before, but how are you scaling your internal elements? If the size of your bridge is a reference, then it looks like your ship would be about 1184 feet long. Is that right? That seems quite a bit larger than even the 1080 that some people are using.
Really nice work, David. The only thing that would be better would be if you were doing this in true 3D. But the fact that you're taking the "real set" layouts (as closely as you can get) and fitting them, in scale, into the deckplans is something I, personally, really like.
Old March 1 2008, 02:21 AM   #140
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Looking at your plans (which are great by the way) it just accured to me, since the engine part of engineering was a forced perspective set, it's propabobly supposed to be longer than the actual set as seen in plan view, at least this was apparently the intention of MJ, so has anyone got any idea how long it would work out to be in order to create the visual perspective we actually see, if it were realy as deep as it looks?
Old March 1 2008, 03:23 AM   #141
Shaw
Commodore

My best guess with only a short look at it...

Old March 1 2008, 07:35 AM   #142
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

That strikes me as a bit on the extreme side.
Old March 1 2008, 08:35 AM   #143
Shaw
Commodore

Well, it is based on a number of assumptions. First is that the camera is (on average) in the center of the room when filming in that direction, but that is totally a guess as I have no idea where they planned on the ideal perspective view point to be.

Second is that what we see on those plans is in any way representational of the actual set piece. That piece was constructed long before the set plans I'm working with, so what shows up on the page may actually be little more than a representation of that piece while having absolutely no internal information about it.

But what I did find interesting was that the length pushed engineering far enough forward to match the only lit windows on the Enterprise secondary hull in the remastered Ultimate Computer (after the M-5 had shut off the lights on most of the other decks).

For me, I'm not committed to much beyond engineering being somewhere on that deck... if it is pressed up against the hanger deck wall or somewhere closer to the front of the secondary hull, at this point, I'm more interested in if it fits within the general space (which it does quite nicely).
Old March 1 2008, 02:56 PM   #144
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Shaw
I'm greatly enjoying this thread. keep up the great work its very interesting.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Old March 1 2008, 04:48 PM   #145
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Okay, great! Now, next question, are you planning on incorporating any TAS elements? specifically, I'm thinking of the version of engineering that had what looked like a early version of a warp core or vertical intermix chamber, if this room w/its vertical tube was attached overhead somehow to the loooong engies we see above, it would be near the front of the lower hull, then it might continue up (and below) to the impulse deck like the TMP design, and possibly allow a ressurection of my earlier heresy, that the 2cnd/3rd season engineering w/its dilithium crystal converter assembly would sit atop all this at the impulse deck? Of course, then the look of the 'short' impulse engines and the 'loooong' warp engines would have to be a cincidence, which will probably doom this theory?

Last edited by TIN_MAN; March 2 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old March 1 2008, 05:20 PM   #146
Shaw
Commodore

Thanks guys!

Yeah, this is actually quite fun for me too.

Hmmmm... Ya know, I take back what I said about what might be behind the engine room grill. After watching a number of first season episodes last night I get the distinct impression that this was the intended size the viewer was supposed to assume. Engineering was mainly designed to help sell the overall size of the ship.

Further, when I drop in some of my estimates of where hull pressure compartments would be on the secondary hull, it turns out that there is a nice space for the large engine equipment to fit in on that deck. Could be coincidence, but it does work out nicely.

On the subject of TAS elements... most likely no. But then again, I'm not going to fill in every space on the ship. So anyone wanting to attempt to apply TAS elements to open areas not occupied by live actions sets should feel free.

April had two engine rooms in his plans, and I don't see any good reason to think that this couldn't be the case... there does seem to be room.
Old March 1 2008, 10:13 PM   #147
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I really quite like the way the 'extended' version of the forced perspective chunk seems to fit in there!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old March 2 2008, 05:48 AM   #148
Wingsley
Commodore

One thing stands out: I really like your placement of the phaser banks.

That's one major flaw in the TOS-Remastered imagery: the phasers are too close together. The original imagery had them further apart:

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...mputer_233.JPG

And it makes sense from what we've seen of Auxiliary Control (corridors and all) that Phaser Control room that's apparently nearby, they must be on the same deck. Is your bottom saucer deck big enough for both, plus the corridor?
Old March 2 2008, 07:26 AM   #149
Shaw
Commodore

Wingsley wrote: View Post
And it makes sense from what we've seen of Auxiliary Control (corridors and all) that Phaser Control room that's apparently nearby, they must be on the same deck. Is your bottom saucer deck big enough for both, plus the corridor?
According to I, Mudd auxiliary control is on deck 8, which is the same deck where I have forward phaser control located.

I don't have a set plan for that room yet, but I think we can safely say that it is smaller than two briefing rooms put together. In the image below I've drawn an outline of the usable area of deck 8, placed forward phaser control at the front, and three rooms made from joining two briefing rooms together, and added a length of corridor. And there is still the center of the deck that is open too.

The issues I'll be running into with places like auxiliary control and the emergency manual monitor room is that I don't have plans for those and will have to make them pretty much from scratch.
Old March 2 2008, 09:43 AM   #150
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

This is starting to look like, to me at least, that 947' is too small for the ship as portrayed on screen.
Closed Thread