RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 691
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 27 2008, 06:42 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

News Bullets

• Speaking on ShatnervisionWilliam Shatner jokes around about not being in Star Trek XI. He wished the movie the best, and hoped that Star Trek will continue.

• Variety reports that Star Trek XI faces competition in its new May time slot with the announcement of the release of the fourth Terminator movie. Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins will open on May 22nd. Star Trek XI will release on May 8th.

• SFist reports that John Cho (Sulu) was present at WonderCon, but in spite of questioning, did not divulge any of his Star Trek secrets to the audience.

• Speaking of WonderCon, a new Star Trek XI poster was unveiled, as reported by Trekmovie.com. The new poster is black, with the USS Enterprise insignia in silver-blue. The words "Under Construction" and "Summer 2009" are on the bottom of the poster.

• Trekmovie reports that Eric Bana had his head shaved for his Nero part, and Simon Pegg's hair has been darkened and he is clean-shaven for his part of Scotty in Star Trek XI.
Old February 27 2008, 06:51 AM   #2
TJinPgh
Captain

Re: News Bullets

[COLOR=#0000ff]Variety[/COLOR] reports that Star Trek XI faces competition in its new May time slot with the announcement of the release of the fourth Terminator movie. Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins will open on May 22nd. Star Trek XI will release on May 8th.
Hmmmm. A once popular sci-fi franchise with it's own (not overly popular) TV series making a return to the big screen with new actors... no big stars... and a summer release.

What a tremendous show of faith. They must be expecting a hit.
Old February 27 2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
[COLOR=#0000ff]Variety[/COLOR] reports that Star Trek XI faces competition in its new May time slot with the announcement of the release of the fourth Terminator movie. Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins will open on May 22nd. Star Trek XI will release on May 8th.
Hmmmm. A once popular sci-fi franchise with it's own (not overly popular) TV series making a return to the big screen with new actors... no big stars... and a summer release.

What a tremendous show of faith. They must be expecting a hit.
It is still a popular Sci-Fi franchise, sir. And it's comprised of no less than 5 TV series and 10 feature films spanning over 40 years. And I'm sorry if Leonard Nimoy isn't a big enough star for you. So, yes, they evidently have a lot of faith in the new picture and are, in fact, expecting a hit.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old February 27 2008, 12:07 PM   #4
StarMan
Vice Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Speaking on Shatnervision[COLOR=yellow]William Shatner[/COLOR] jokes around about not being in Star Trek XI. He wished the movie the best, and hoped that Star Trek will continue.
Well then, this proves it.

Shat's in the movie.
Old February 27 2008, 03:45 PM   #5
TJinPgh
Captain

Pioneer Wrote:
It is still a popular Sci-Fi franchise, sir. And it's comprised of no less than 5 TV series and 10 feature films spanning over 40 years. And I'm sorry if Leonard Nimoy isn't a big enough star for you. So, yes, they evidently have a lot of faith in the new picture and are, in fact, expecting a hit.
Actually, I was referring to Terminator. I'll do my best to not read anything into the fact that you assumed I was talking about Trek.

I'm well aware of Star Trek's history. I'm also well aware that the last Terminator movie is conslidered a failure, despite grossing more than any film in Star Trek history.
Old February 27 2008, 06:46 PM   #6
reverie
Lieutenant

As far as the Terminator movie and no big stars goes, I thought Christian Bale was supposed to play the lead. For today's audiences, I'd put him as a bigger star than Nimoy. (for the record, I'm going to see Trek, but don't really care about Terminator)
Old February 28 2008, 04:37 AM   #7
TJinPgh
Captain

I wasn't aware that Bale had signed to play the lead.
I posted a week or two ago that this movie was slated for the summer of 2009 but, at the time, no definite release date was announced, nor was any castings as reported on scifimoviepage.com.
Since I posted that last comment about no big stars, I do see that Bale is listed on IMDB as playing John Connor, but I'm not sure if that's official yet or not.
Yes, I'd definitely consider Bale a bigger star than Nimoy (or anybody else associated with this Trek movie, for that matter), and the new Batman movie can only make him bigger. While I have certainly enjoyed Nimoy's work on Trek over the last 40 years, let's be honest, he hasn't done much else. Most people know who he is, but Trek is all they really know him for. Quite honestly, Shatner is a much bigger name, although he also is best known for Trek.
Old February 28 2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Bale is playing John Connor in Terminator 4.