RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,235
Posts: 5,406,272
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 667
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Online Adds More Voyager Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

The Wil Wheaton Project Axed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Kurtzman’s Production Company Signs Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 25 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
daedalus5
Moderator
 
daedalus5's Avatar
 
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

I've decided to start a Vista only thread. Please post all Vista only enquiries in here. (Hopefully the next OS will play all games with no fuss whatsoever - highly unlikely, dut highly wanted!)
__________________
www.bookmooch.com
"Give books away. Get books you want." Fantastic website!
daedalus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Thanks for this great thread. I just got a new pc with Vista Home pre-installed. I have virtually every Trek game released over the last 30 years, and I was wondering if, before I install them, there is a list of titles that we already know do work under Vista.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2007, 10:46 AM   #3
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

My system specs:


Hardware:

AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ 1.6Ghz Processor
1.5 GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
160 GB WD 7200RPM Hard Disk
nVidia GeForce 7300 LE PCI-e 16x 256Mb Graphics Adapter
17" Sceptre NAVI-X7 LCD Flat Panel Monitor


Software:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit w/ Service Pack 1 RC



Working under my Vista machine so far, with no modification:


Star Trek: Away Team
Star Trek: Klingon Academy
Star Trek: Elite Force
Star Trek DS9: The Fallen
Star Trek: Starfleet Command I, II & III
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
Star Trek: Armada I & II
Star Trek: Hidden Evil
Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary Edition
Star Trek: Judgment Rites
Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity
Star Trek: Bridge Commander
Star Trek: Captain's Chair
Star Trek: Starship Creator I, II
Star Trek: New Worlds

All of these I've tested on many settings in Vista, and they've worked quite well, so far.

J.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2007, 03:39 PM   #4
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Very cool, thanks so much for the help with this. Maybe over the holidays I'll reinstall some of these!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Jaro Stun
Captain
 
Jaro Stun's Avatar
 
Location: Czech republic
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Hello,

I see you included ST:Hidden Evil in your "Works with Vista" list.

I also have Windows Vista (see my specs) and I was unable to play it. When I started the game in D3D mode, it crashed while loading the new game (if I remember correctly it was like: "Sprint engine stopped working"). I was unable to start the game in Glide mode, and in SW mode it loaded, but everything was terribly wrong (sound, colors...just about everything).

Compatibility mode (Win2K, WinXP) didn't work for me at all.

Did you encounter this error? And if so, how did you solve it?

My system specifications:
Intel Core2Duo T7700 @ 2,4GHz
4GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 8600 MGT 256MB
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (DX10 obviously)

Thank you for any info.
__________________
****************************************
Vice-Admiral Nolak of Vulcan :: Nolak@voniatko
Voniatko's YouTube channel
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2007, 12:41 AM   #6
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Jaro Stun said:
Hello,

I see you included ST:Hidden Evil in your "Works with Vista" list.

I also have Windows Vista (see my specs) and I was unable to play it. When I started the game in D3D mode, it crashed while loading the new game (if I remember correctly it was like: "Sprint engine stopped working"). I was unable to start the game in Glide mode, and in SW mode it loaded, but everything was terribly wrong (sound, colors...just about everything).

Compatibility mode (Win2K, WinXP) didn't work for me at all.

Did you encounter this error? And if so, how did you solve it?

My system specifications:
Intel Core2Duo T7700 @ 2,4GHz
4GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 8600 MGT 256MB
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit (DX10 obviously)

Thank you for any info.
That's odd. I didn't have any trouble playing it whatsoever. The whole install ran smoothly, and the game ran optimally. I know this is a common answer, but did you update your drivers to the latest set, and have you downloaded the service pack yet?


J.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Jaro Stun
Captain
 
Jaro Stun's Avatar
 
Location: Czech republic
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Thanx for your reply.
I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA but I haven't tried the Vista SP1 RC1 yet, as I'll wait for the final release.

However, I do update my system frequently via Windows Update, so I don't think SP1 will be a big impact for me.
__________________
****************************************
Vice-Admiral Nolak of Vulcan :: Nolak@voniatko
Voniatko's YouTube channel
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2007, 10:32 PM   #8
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Jaro Stun said:
Thanx for your reply.
I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA but I haven't tried the Vista SP1 RC1 yet, as I'll wait for the final release.

However, I do update my system frequently via Windows Update, so I don't think SP1 will be a big impact for me.
I'll put it this way. Before the service pack, most of my games either failed or were choppy and slow. My file copy rate was abysmal, and that was with all of the updates sans the SP1 RC1. I installed the service pack, shut down, restarted, and it was like I switched on an entirely different computer.


J.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2007, 01:22 PM   #9
PlanetMudd
Lieutenant
 
PlanetMudd's Avatar
 
Location: Florida - with aspirations to leave - lol!
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Yeah ... same here .. I installed the service pack, shut down, restarted, and it was like I switched on an entirely different computer...

...I'd never seen a bluescreen of death on Vista until I install that hacked piece of script.
__________________
Planet Mudd: Home of I, Mudd's SFC Models of the Future's Past.

Art of a Deviant: My gallery of D&D, Trek, whatever ...
PlanetMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2007, 01:48 AM   #10
AmbassadorKosh
Lieutenant
 
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

I work in computer repair shop, yeah I'm a computer tech, and what you all are describing are the most common complaints and praises of Vista. For some SP1RC1 is a god send and for others it's the devil himself, that SP is a release candidate only and all the bugs haven't been worked out yet. Nvidia drivers and Vista don't get along well at all for some people, but for others there's no problem. With Vista, you just have to experiment with the settings to see what works best, at least till MS gets the bugs out or Windows 7 is released, whichever comes first. To let you know how alot of people feel about Vista, since the release of Vista, our shops business in reinstalling XP has more than doubled, and it's mostly on brand new machines that came with Vista preinstalled.
AmbassadorKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2007, 02:36 AM   #11
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

PlanetMudd said:
Yeah ... same here .. I installed the service pack, shut down, restarted, and it was like I switched on an entirely different computer...

...I'd never seen a bluescreen of death on Vista until I install that hacked piece of script.
Hence it's title as RC1 (Release Candidate 1). Also, did you get the patch from Microsoft's website? Anywhere else and the source is dubious at best. The final, polished, completed patch should be available in March.

AmbassadorKosh said:
I work in computer repair shop, yeah I'm a computer tech, and what you all are describing are the most common complaints and praises of Vista. For some SP1RC1 is a god send and for others it's the devil himself, that SP is a release candidate only and all the bugs haven't been worked out yet. Nvidia drivers and Vista don't get along well at all for some people, but for others there's no problem. With Vista, you just have to experiment with the settings to see what works best, at least till MS gets the bugs out or Windows 7 is released, whichever comes first. To let you know how alot of people feel about Vista, since the release of Vista, our shops business in reinstalling XP has more than doubled, and it's mostly on brand new machines that came with Vista preinstalled.
Yep, I agree, and I've had the same experience. Dell (the company I work for) started offering discounts on XP. I still have XP, and I still use it, however I made Vista my primary OS because I have to get used to it, tinker around in there, fix the broken and generally get a feel for the system.


J.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2008, 05:14 PM   #12
sambod123
Cadet
 
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Hi guys, nice to meet people playing the same stuff as me!
I have Vista and am trying to install Star Trek: A Final Unity from the old CD i have of it.
I cant install it, because the setup file didnt work:
"This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'close' to terminate the application"
This comes up in a window called "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
I dont know how you did it J Allen!

So i installed dosbox, followed the dosbox instructions, but when i run sttng.exe it starts to run, but then says it cant find a resource file, and that i should consult cdpath in sttng.ini
sambod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2008, 07:35 PM   #13
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

sambod123 said:
Hi guys, nice to meet people playing the same stuff as me!
I have Vista and am trying to install Star Trek: A Final Unity from the old CD i have of it.
I cant install it, because the setup file didnt work:
"This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'close' to terminate the application"
This comes up in a window called "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
I dont know how you did it J Allen!

So i installed dosbox, followed the dosbox instructions, but when i run sttng.exe it starts to run, but then says it cant find a resource file, and that i should consult cdpath in sttng.ini
I'm used to games never playing regardless of what system I have, but all of those games will work, they just require a bit of elbow grease and willingness to see it through.

The installation of Star Trek: A Final Unity was a tough one. We all know Final Unity didn't even want to work well on the original systems. I remember installing it on my 386. It didn't even want to work then, and I had to cajole it, so this is nothing new.

So after finding the following instructions, everything worked beautifully. Here they are:

1. Download and install DosBox. Latest version.

2. Create a directory for the game. Example: C:\STTNG.

3. Using windows explorer, copy all of the contents from the game CD to the new directory created above.

4. Create a new folder under the new directory called savegame. Example: C:\STTNG\savegame.

5. Unzip the folder within the new directory called STTNGINS.ZIP. It will ask to overwrite one file, let it overwrite the file or choose not to, it wont matter.

6. Open the STTNG.INI folder with notepad. Near the bottom of the listing are two entries, one called Path and the other CD. For both of these entries put the following-- . \ make sure there is a space between the period and slash. The period must follow the = immediately, no spaces. So it will look like this in both the Path and CD lines---- Path=. \ and CD=. \

7. Load the game CD into your CD/DVD drive.

8. Start DosBox and mount your CD/DVD drive as normal.

9. Run the setup.exe from the CD.

10. Let the program set up the audio and video as normal.

11. After setup finishes, exit DosBox.

12. When this is complete, restart DosBox and mount the drive and directory where the game is located...example: mount c c:\sttng

13. Change to the mounted drive. The command line will say Z:\ simply type c: and hit enter.

14. At this point you can check the contents of the mounted drive by typing dir/w all of the contents within the STTNG directory should list.

15. Start the game by typing in the usual at the command prompt...example STTNG

16. The game should load and run.



J.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2008, 10:09 PM   #14
sambod123
Cadet
 
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions *DELETED*

Post deleted by sambod123
sambod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2008, 10:37 PM   #15
sambod123
Cadet
 
Re: Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

I managed to get up to Step 8 and the setup.
However the setup has been "checking cd speed" for hours now
Anything to do with it being a DVD drive? It shouldnt be, all other CDs work on it. This is ashame, i want to play it so much!
does anyone know of a replacement install file? (it was install.exe on the cd, not setup.exe if that made any difference)
sambod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.