Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 18 2007, 11:45 PM   #1
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Real Life Looking CGI Trek

Wouldn't it be cool, when CGI becomes so sophisticated that they can make new episodes that look like real TV including the actors.

They could produce endless new TOS episodes and movies that look like the original actors were in it, and for the price of what the animation would be.

As well as other TOS era episodes with new characters and ships, and the same would go for the other shows as well.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 01:22 AM   #2
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Re: Real Life Looking CGI Trek

This is essential IMO for Trek's future.

Animation of the highest standards of CGI is the key.

TOS, TNG and Titan are prime candidates for the CGI animation treatment.

CBS Paramount should IMO already be looking into this as a possible future route.
Old November 19 2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

What about the voices?
Old November 19 2007, 05:28 AM   #4
USS Excelsior
Commodore

I guess based on already existing voices they'll have to somehow reproduce that too.
Old November 19 2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd much rather see a traditional animated series in something like the style of Bruce Timm's "DC Universe" shows.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Oh, it's really easy with current technology to convert one person's voice to another's. I can do it at home, for cryin' out loud.

You need a sampling of phonemes... the entire run of Trek gives a pretty full sampling of the speech of each major character. You then basically use the same technology as a speech-recognition system to "morph" each spoken phoneme into a similar one to the one spoken by the original actor with a similar pitch, inflection, etc.

Doing the voices is MUCH easier than doing convincing physical characters. The technology still has a few bugs, but within five years I expect this sort of full-voice-morphing to be commonplace.

New Trek will be done on virtual sets, with real actors being motion captured and their voices being recorded... then using their captured motion and voices to "drive" CGI characters and voices.

Less than ten years, folks... less than ten years... and this will be an absolute reality.

The issue then will be more of LEGALITY than anything else. If PPC, or the surviving TOS actors (or the estates of the deceased ones) are smart, they'll negotiate this out today.

You've gotta wonder... will we then see this next movie "reworked" with that technology, converting Pine to Young Shatner, Quinto to Young Nimoy, etc, etc?

It's a Pandora's box... but it should be interesting to watch as it opens.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2007, 10:50 PM   #7
Deks
Rear Admiral

CGI is reaching a point already where it's possible to recreate life-like characters and movements ...
problem is that there are a lot of things to worry about in the animation process and numerous things you have to do manually.

But I suspect in several years, things will become of course much more automated eliminating the need to do numerous complex things manually.
Old November 19 2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Funny, I just thought about just this kind of thing today. But I wouldn't make a TOS exlusive out of this.
I would go for the whole nine yards and do the anthology series that's not really practical to makes as a live action show.
It could be used to feature stories from all eras, all ships, new ships, new characters, established characters and even crossovers.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 12:41 AM   #9
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Might also be an outlet for creating fanwank and gimmicky piss.
Old November 20 2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Kail
Commodore

A CGI TOS series could be pretty cool, IMO. This is not my work, but it's an example of what could be.

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 06:52 AM   #11
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Wow, that looks awesome.
Old November 20 2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Ok, so you can do the voices but can they emote convincingly like an actor's voice does?
Old November 20 2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

Deks said:
CGI is reaching a point already where it's possible to recreate life-like characters and movements ...
problem is that there are a lot of things to worry about in the animation process and numerous things you have to do manually.

But I suspect in several years, things will become of course much more automated eliminating the need to do numerous complex things manually.
I agree. Actually, you could do a reasonable job today if you wanted to. The only thing that's still hard is hair/fur. But even then, I think you could work around it. Besides Beowulf is entirely CGI, and we've already seen CGI ships.
Old November 20 2007, 01:59 PM   #14
Herald
Lieutenant

I'm sure the SAG and SEG will fight this trend tooth and nail.
Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2007, 07:07 PM   #15
nerfherder
Lieutenant Commander

I'd love to see TAS remade with the CG animation that exists today. Were CGI to reach a true-to-life level, bringing TOS (or anthology Trek) back to life would, for me, be exhilarating.

Still, I think there may be something macabre in this. A character that has been defined by a particular actor maintains some kernel of the actor within his/her presentation. To reanimate the presentation without the soul of the actor that originally presented it is a little ghoulish. Despite the fact that Kirk and Spock are characters, and as such may be presented equally as well by actors on stage, characterization in books, or digital film, we're still talking about the particular features of Shatner and Nimoy. Digital zombies, that's how I'd perceive their CGI counterparts. While I'd still love to see Trek brought back via CGI with all the characters I know, as I know them, there's something kinda creepy in this.
nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote