Gravity, first viewing

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by urbandefault, Jan 22, 2015.

1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw Gravity for the first time on Monday, a freebie from Google Play. Man, what a ride.

I'd heard it was pretty good, so I put it on in the workshop intending to listen and watch when I could. I didn't move from my desk for the entire movie.

I wasn't expecting it, but it was one of those movies that had my heart racing almost all the way through. Every time the tension would start to let up, something else would happen to start it all over again.

Highly recommended. :)

2. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Personally, I really enjoyed the film. Saw it on the big screen in 3D and was totally amazed by it. Loved the long single camera shots in the movie. Enjoyed the story even if it was a bit far fetched.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Aside from the goofy thing where she flies around with the fire extinguisher, I thought the movie was frickin awesome. It was so intense.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Every time the debris onslaught came back around, my heart was in my throat. I thought it was pretty amazing.

5. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Yes...Gravity rocks! I was glued to the HDTV from minute one.

And Sandra Bullock still looks purdy damned good!

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would actually work if you held it close to your body.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it would, but it just looked so damn silly.

8. urbandefault

It was, but it was probably how most of us would have looked in her place as an inexperienced astronaut in the same situation.

I haven't watched it again yet, but I got the Google Play app for my Roku. Just waiting for a good time when the wife and I are both not worn out from the everyday BS.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The fire extinguisher thing was, I'm told, something of a cheat because of the difficulties that would be involving in navigating while flying like that. If it was a cheat, though, it was an enjoyable one in a movie with remarkably few of them.

10. urbandefault

I don't know why but I seem to remember some reviews panning the movie, so I passed on it. It must be my failing memory, because I can't find anything now that is less than complimentary, at the very least.

I thought it was a great movie, a really fun ride.

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved it. It bugs me when people say they thought it was "a boring movie." They obviously didn't understand the story. It wasn't supposed to be action-packed, it was about having the will to survive, to live again. Sandra Bullock's character had stopped living due to the tragedy in her life and her trying to get back home was her coming out of the depression and realizing that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes the special effects were amazing but it was Sandra's performance that truly "made" the movie. There were definitely some tear-jerker moments.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Those people must fear for their lives on a regular basis. I spent half the movie with my hands over my face thinking, "Holy fuck, she is going to DIE!"

13. Janeway’s Girl

^ I was holding my breath for the majority of it. I mean, it's bad enough for her tether to snap the first time but a second!? I mean, talk about unlucky! There is no way a human could actually survive through all that but that's why it's a movie, right?

It got me wondering if NASA has ever lost people up there and it's just not talked about? As cool as it is, I have no desire to go to space. Unless I live another couple hundred years and can go in a starship surrounded by advanced technology in case of an emergency.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I feel like somebody would have noticed.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The best scene to me was her in the Soyuz listening to the man sing to his baby overseas.

16. urbandefault

Getting ready to watch it again tonight, so the wife can see it. :)

17. Janeway’s Girl

And right before she gets into that tiny shuttle, she asks Matt to take care of her little girl and make sure she brushes her hair. Such a sad and beautiful moment:weep: