RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 500
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 9 2007, 05:21 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Which of the series/movies need to be remastered?

JD said:
Why do they have no choice? Is just because they look better or is there more to it?
Because all the editing for TNG, DS9 and Voyager was done on videotape. Since the native resolution of videotape is so low, it - by definition - cannot be aired in HD. The resolution just isn't there.

Film, OTOH, has a much higher resolution even than HD. But if videotape is involved anywhere in the equation, that kills HD airing right there.

Enterprise is the only ST series that was made from the ground up to be airable in HD. (Well, I suppose TOS could have been, as well, since it was done all on film, but some of its effects were so badly degraded that there would have been no point.)
Old November 9 2007, 05:48 PM   #32
OmarB
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would love to see both TNG and DS9 remastered. It would just look cooler seeing more ships and battles you can see and not just reactions from the bridge.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the shows. In fact I firmly believe that both TNG and DS9 can be pulled off on a stage in front of an audience because they are great stories, human stories, fact is though, you can't deny a cool space battle.
Old November 9 2007, 07:48 PM   #33
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Nothing looks that outdated.. yet. And TOS is already in progress of being remastered.
Old November 11 2007, 12:47 AM   #34
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Its pointless to remaster STV, but I WOULD like to see remastered STNG! Its a great show that would benefit from HD!

RAMA
Old November 11 2007, 04:43 AM   #35
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

^Hear hear! TNG: Remastered FTW!

Oh, and in regards to the topic title...copy-and-paste one of Christpoher's rants about the misuse of the term "Remastered" here.
Old November 11 2007, 04:45 AM   #36
Kegek
Rear Admiral

And then copy-and-paste one of Kegek's arguments about the lexical mutability of words.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2007, 04:47 AM   #37
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Um nothing of them need it.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2007, 06:04 AM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Kegek said:
And then copy-and-paste one of Kegek's arguments about the lexical mutability of words.
Isn't "The Lexical Mutability of Words" a song by The Art Of Noise or something?

Oh, wait, no, that's "The Holy Egoism of Genius". My bad.
Old November 14 2007, 06:15 AM   #39
Jonesy
Commodore

I think that all of the Original Series films could stand to have some restorative work done on them - and I mean that in the sense of cleaning up any imperfections in the sound or picture. The dreary flutering Paramount logo over the intro of the films alone deserves to be replaced.

TNG should be completely redone. Take the existing 35mm negs, transfer them directly to high def, and then re-do the FX note-for-note on CGI. Screw the transferred-to-video crap that we have had for the show since its inception. I can only imagine the likely startling look that the live-action footage alone would have. I remember the '97 remasters for TOS, and hoping that the same would be done for TNG somewhere down the line.