MLB Offseason 2014-15: Wait, pitchers and catchers report WHEN?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Even Year Bullshit has struck again, and the San Francisco Giants are your 2014 Major League Baseball World Champions. Let us now begin the five months of darkness until baseball returns to us.

Important dates to remember:

November 3: Last day for teams to tender a qualifying offer to pending free agents
    November 4: Free agents may negotiate and sign with any team
    November 10: Last day for players to accept a qualifying offer
    November 10 - 12: GM fall meetings
    December 2: Last day to offer contracts to unsigned arbitration-eligible players
    December 8 - 11: GM winter meetings
    December 11: Rule 5 draft
    February 18, 2015: Pitchers and catchers report

Other news of note:

- Alex Rodriguez is now officially back on the Yankees' 40-man roster. Welcome back, A-Rod, may you mash taters in all your at-bats.

- Bug Selig's tenure as commissioner is effectively over. While his last day in office is technically January 24, 2015, Rob Manfred has spent the last few months preparing for transition into the league's top office and will continue to do so. For those who have forgotten Manfred's pedigree, he has served as a top lieutenant in MLB's structure since 1998; prior to that he was one of the league's lead lawyers in the 1994 strike, championing the efforts to break the union, and he was the lead negotiator in the two most recent CBA negotiations, neither of which were particularly favorable for the MLBPA. He is responsible for MLB's private investigation unit, which has broken several federal, state and local laws over the past few years. He is no friend of organized labor and it is not outside the realm of possibility that baseball's twenty years of uninterrupted labor peace (the longest in American professional sports) will be in jeopardy after the 2016 season, when the current CBA expires.

- MLB has been testing several rule changes during the Arizona Fall League, aimed at speeding up the game. The changes range from pretty smart (hitters must keep one foot inside the box at all times) to patently stupid (limit of three mound visits per game). I would not expect any major rule changes to occur in 2015, however.

- Current front-office openings are with the Rockies, who finally fired Dealin' Dan O'Dowd, and the Rays, whose front office has collapsed in the wake of Andrew Friedman's departure to the Dodgers. (The Dodgers, however, lost scouting director Logan White, which is huge and almost instantly counterbalances any benefit from Friedman's hiring.)

- Current official managerial vacancies are in Minnesota, Chicago (Cubs) and Tampa Bay, though I say official because the Cubs are likely to announce Joe Maddon as their new manager tomorrow morning, thereby fucking Rick Renteria.

- This is an exceptionally weak free-agent class. After the top prizes of Scherzer and Lester in the starting pitcher segment, there's a steep drop down to James Shields, then another drop to the likes of Francisco Liriano and Jason Hammel. The DH market comprises three old, broken dudes (Giambi, Victor Martinez and Raul Ibanez), and at 3B your options are Pablo Sandoval and a whole bucket of shit after him. You get the idea. Look for a very active trade market at the fall and winter meetings, and don't be shocked if Lester's price tag starts to approach the monster deal that Kershaw got.

So there we have it! We are 157 days away from the return of baseball. Let us sit around the hot stove and await its return.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Fascinating how after all these years the baseball "brains" have finally got some sort of clue of how to cope with free agency. They're still paying too many players on the downhill side of 30 too much money for past performance, but at least they're figuring out that they're better off paying current players than shelling out big bucks for free agents. The Rays laid an egg in 2014, but they really have shown how to rummage around the junk pile and find players with limited skill sets who can fill specific roles for a limited amount of time at a bargain rate.

3. Timby

I just realized that Dan fucking Uggla gets a World Series ring.

This feels wrong.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring.

Dan Marino doesn't

That feels worse.

5. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm fine with that. :lol:

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

May your crotch be infested by the fleas of a thousand camels..:klingon:

7. Green Shirt

Go for it! I've got camel flea powder. I've been infested before. ;)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What you call bullshit, I call sweetness. I am, however, glad I'm not going to the Parade. It's rainy, but I hope they have a good time and are safe out there.

As for next season, I want two things to happen:

1) Resign Sandoval
    2) Renegotiate Bumgarner's contract and pay him more.

Other than that, I'm excited for what Baseball news will come our way. I look forward to see how Manfred does as new Commish. Will he reinstate Pete Rose, for example?

9. Green Shirt

I say let Rose in. The HOF isn't a sainthood club.

10. Timby

The first is possible, but he's the only legitimate 3B free agent this year, and there are a lot of teams needing to fill that hole. The Giants still have debt service on their park through 2017, so that's $20 million off the top and they're going to have to worry about their rotation (Hudson will almost certainly retire, Vogelsong needs to be shot into the sun, and they also have Peavy to consider). As for Bumgarner, he's cost-controlled through 2017, they won't even consider ripping that deal up for at least another year.

He'd better fucking not.

In other news, the Cubs fired Rick Renteria this afternoon, paving the way for hiring Maddon. Jesus Christ, Theo, fire the guy a month ago so he could at least find another job.

The most annoying part of this is that Maddon is going to get credit even if the Cubs' prospects amount to a dead cat bounce. And beyond that, the Cubs fire their minority manager via bullshit, then hire a white manager -- potentially via tampering -- without interviewing a minority manager. How does MLB not get involved, here?

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surely he wouldn't accept a ring. I doubt he can even fit anything on his enormously large fingers.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Completely agree with this. For the Cubs to announce that Renteria was returning for 2015 and fire him two weeks later is awkward at best and downright unethical at worst.

Agree with this, as well. The timing of everything that happened with Maddon leaving TB and getting hired (presumably) by the Cubs looks suspicious. What would be really funny is if MLB comes after the Cubs for tampering, Maddon's hiring is nixed, and Renteria gets a job somewhere else, leaving the Cubs without a manager.

--Sran

13. Timby

Well, there are two issues at play, here; one is the potential tampering, and the other is that this appears to have been a sham interview process. MLB has had its version of the Rooney Rule since 1998 (so it actually predates the NFL's), and for the Cubs to boot Renteria and hire Maddon with no actual process taking place is a pretty clear violation of that rule.

That being said, they won't invalidate the hiring or anything like that. The Cubs will get hit with a few hundred thousand dollar fine and life will move on.

14. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't really know much about Renteria, but I'd fire John Gibbons in a heart beat and hire him.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

^Well, only an idiot would have hired Gibbons in the first place. That the Blue Jays hired him twice speaks volumes about why they haven't made the playoffs in over twenty years.

--Sran

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

They only knew about Maddon a week ago.

Doesn't make it a less shitty way to treat Renteria.

Unless they were talking to Maddon longer than anyone knows.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

^There are rumors floating around that this is exactly the case, and that the Cubs were bidding their time until Maddon left. I don't know if there's any truth to the rumors, however.

--Sran

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

From Theo himself,

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/100210710/cubs-fire-manager-rick-renteria

Rick deserved to come back for another season as Cubs manager, and we said as much when we announced that he would be returning in 2015. We met with Rick two weeks ago for a long end-of-season evaluation and discussed plans for next season. We praised Rick to the media and to our season ticket holders. These actions were made in good faith.

Last Thursday, we learned that Joe Maddon - who may be as well suited as anyone in the industry to manage the challenges that lie ahead of us - had become a free agent. We confirmed the news with Major League Baseball, and it became public knowledge the next day. We saw it as a unique opportunity and faced a clear dilemma: be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization. In this business of trying to win a world championship for the first time in 107 years, the organization has priority over any one individual. We decided to pursue Joe.

While there was no clear playbook for how to handle this type of situation, we knew we had to be transparent with Rick before engaging with Joe. Jed flew to San Diego last Friday and told Rick in person of our intention to talk to Joe about the managerial job. Subsequently, Jed and I provided updates to Rick via telephone and today informed him that we will indeed make a change.

We offered Rick a choice of other positions with the Cubs, but he is of course free to leave the organization and pursue opportunities elsewhere. Armed with the experience of a successful season and all the qualities that made him our choice a year ago, Rick will no doubt make an excellent major league manager when given his next chance.

19. Timby

And that's the $64,000 question. The more I consider it, the more I find it highly unlikely that Maddon opts out when he does (with only one official vacancy in the league) unless he had already talked with another team and knew that he had a sure landing spot. And it's also telling that the Cubs were the only team that went into absolute radio silence and refused to say anything about their managerial situation.

I'm not convinced there was tampering, but I think it's very likely. And to be honest, Theo is probably the only executive in the league who could get away with this and not be excoriated by the league and in the media -- he's a PR genius and is very, very, very good at playing situations like this.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the truth does come out, what remedies does the league have against the Cubs or Theo personally?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.