Oh, No! 'Star Trek' episodes have been REMOVED from YouTube!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by EnsignTOS, Sep 19, 2014.

1. EnsignTOS

EnsignTOS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:eek: Does anybody know why??? :wtf:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Copyright infringement? They are available on Netflix, Amazon streaming, Blu-ray, DVD and, I believe, Star Trek.com.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Exactly. They were removed because they were there illegally.

4. EnsignTOS

EnsignTOS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought the episodes were uploaded by CBS.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

No, not those. The only legit ones are on sites partnered with CBS, and Youtube isn't one of them.

6. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Hulu also has the first season available to watch for free.

7. One Lucky Red Shirt

One Lucky Red Shirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How dare they!! Dang now i gots to get up n put the blu ray in the player and hit play. Oh well. More data to use on the phone this month :bolian:

8. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude! Love the Whitman cover. :techman:

9. BillJ

Thanks.

I have the Star Trek Comics DVD. I figured I would periodically make avatars out of some of the artwork.

10. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Yeah...given how easy it is to get TOS right now we really can't complain if they get pulled from youtube.

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a tiny, tiny part in the creative class, I am glad when anything gets pulled for copyright infringement.

12. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, no. And it was so difficult to view the series any other way. I mean it's not like there was a legitimate, affordable DVD release of it available. Tragic.

13. BillJ

I wouldn't be so hard on the original poster. She probably didn't understand that the YouTube versions were likely in violation of CBS' copyright.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that CBS themselves had full episodes posted on YouTube, at some point within the past few years or decade, but they seem to have reversed course on that.

15. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

You and EnsignTOS are correct; simply visiting the page where the episodes were posted would make it perfectly obvious they were legit:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/SWZk2dX5DnW_c

The clips that are there now were always present and would be just as much of a copyright violation as the full episodes. The episodes have been up for only the last few months and just came down in the last week; I know because I used to play them on my iPad as I nodded off to sleep. =(

The episodes were the 1985 transfers (i.e. not TOS-R) and strangely several episodes were missing (I Mudd, A Private Little War, Assignment: Earth, ...And The Children Shall Lead). CBS probably felt comfortable posting them on YouTube since they were not TOS-R, only 360P, and could not be downloaded. They apparently had second thoughts for whatever reason.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You know, I don't understand why they used the Lost in Space Cyclops from early Season 1 (there was even an Aurora model of it) for a Star Trek cover. Is it a reworking of a Gold Key Space Family Robinson/Lost in Space comic cover?

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, as a cyclops never appeared on any cover of Space Family Robinson/Lost in Space. Gold Key's Star Trek series designed covers (usually) with the story in mind.

Since none of the 61 issues were adaptations of TOS, all manner of alien life found its way in the Gold Key series, from giants (humanoids or animal), crystal creatures, killer plants, mummies, and other seemingly non-Trek-ian threats.

18. smalltalk66

smalltalk66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just did a search. All ya have to do is type in the episode title along with the words "you tube" in Google. Don't type the words "star trek" in your search. That's all, folks!

19. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It came up "private video".

20. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that. There are many websites out there dedicated specifically to downloading media from streaming sites like youtube. :)