Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 4 2014, 05:58 PM   #31
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Is Enterprise anyone's favorite Trek?

If the entire show was like S4 it might be way higher on my list, but over half of the first 2 1/2 seasons are unwatchable to me.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2014, 11:10 AM   #32
eyeresist
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
ENT has been my favorite Trek series ever since it started. I like it a lot better than any other form of Trek (film OR TV). And I saw it last, since I'm 44.
Hey, me too!

ENT is my favourite Trek series. Here are some reasons:

It might sound shallow, but one reason is that it's the best looking series. You can see things gradually improving through the previous years, but ENT was the first show that looked cinematic. (Admittedly some of the CGI is dire, but not bad for a TV show from the early 00s.)

ENT has the most natural dialog and least stagy acting. I like Patrick Stewart, but I think his Shakespearean enunciation led to a feeling amongst writers that all Trek dialog had to be grandiose, and it took a while to shake that off.

ENT is the most swashbuckling Trek since TOS! Admittedly, I was not hugely impressed when I first saw TOS in the late 70s - Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica were better looking and much more action-focused - but in retrospect the combination of utopian pacificism and macho belligerence made a uniquely spicy stew. It was refreshing to see another science fiction show with a healthy helping of derring do.

Admittedly ENT is hardly perfect: The first two seasons in particular are schizophrenic in their oscillation between good and awful (even within the same episode). But all the Treks include bad episodes and bad acting, and ENT improved greatly as it went on.

The fact that it was cut short at four seasons is also to be lamented. On the other hand, that makes ENT the cheapest series to buy.
eyeresist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2014, 11:32 AM   #33
I am not Spock
Commodore

ENT is not my favourite Trek series, but I do like all of the shows, for different reasons. TOS or DS9 are probably my favourites.

Seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise , despite a few good outings, were mostly misfires. Seasons 3 and 4, thankfully, were a big improvement. That is the kind of stuff we should have been getting from the outset.

The first 'new' Trek ,which was being produced, when I was getting into the franchise, was TNG season 7. I watched TNG S7 live, firsthand. I started watching the show when I was 12 in '94. I grew up with DS9 and VOY being produced, and was there for the entirety of ENT's first run. I remember being a bit disappointed in ENT at the time. It's grown on me, but I remember thinking at the time how much better seasons 3 and 4 were. I was angry when it was cancelled, because there was so much potential still there. It was just starting to get good.
Old September 6 2014, 10:38 PM   #34
Middleman
Captain

View Middleman's Twitter Profile

Enterprise is my favorite Trek; knocked TOS down to #2.
Old September 8 2014, 01:33 AM   #35
Captain59
Fleet Captain

Middleman wrote: View Post
Enterprise is my favorite Trek; knocked TOS down to #2.
Ditto. TOS was my favorite but Enterprise took over, with TOS now a very close second.

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Captain59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 02:20 AM   #36
Destructor
Commodore

I've got a mate who swears by Enterprise and says it's his favourite.

He's an idiot.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 02:26 AM   #37
feek61
Captain

Destructor wrote: View Post

He's an idiot.
Classy
Old September 8 2014, 06:05 PM   #38
telerites
Lieutenant

Enterprise is actually my third favorite behind TOS and TAS.

My order would be

TOS
TAS
Enterprise
TNG
Voyager/DS9 (pretty much tie here)
telerites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2014, 03:05 AM   #39
SFRabid
Commodore

Destructor wrote: View Post

He's an idiot.
Well, he is your friend.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2014, 03:09 AM   #40
SFRabid
Commodore

Seasons 3 and 4 are my favorite of all Trek. Seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise along with Season 1 of TNG are my least favorite because of so many bad episodes. That puts ENT in the middle for me.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2014, 03:36 AM   #41
allstar77
Lieutenant Commander

Well, I’m about halfway through with season four. I’ll post comments on the Xindi in my other thread. For now, I just want to update my thoughts on Enterprise. Maybe I was just too eager to get back into Trek, or maybe it was my love for pre-Trek B-movie sci-fi, or maybe because ENT went against some of Roddenberry’s goofier notions (pockets, for example), but a pre-Kirk series appealed to me. What really appealed to me was the cast; I could really identify with characters, and the people playing them. But as I continue watching, I getting more disappointed and discouraged.

I’m not blaming Berman and Braga (much) or UPN, but somewhere along the way Star Trek stopped being Star Trek and when it did, it stopped being fun. I liked TNG but felt Picard too preachy and the Enterprise too glamourous. I never really gave DS9 a chance, and I only watched VOY for the Borg. Enterprise started out fun, kinda felt back to roots, but it fell flat, screwed with continuity, got too dark, and I’ve lost hope. I’m not enjoying it as much as I did. In hindsight, I see it used a lot of shock (more than usual swearing, violence, and nudity) to sell half-thought out stories that weren’t Trek in nature.

I feel like skipping the rest of Enterprise. I’m tired of it all. Star Trek used to be a drama that told an optimistic story of the future of mankind. Or maybe it’s me. Maybe I’m being naïve and childlike in my recovery from a near-fatal accident. I still like Enterprise, or more precisely, what it could have been. However, I can’t call it my favorite anymore. I think my favorite will always be TOS. I’m looking forward to visiting these old friends.

I’m not sure if I’ll continue and finish ENT or not. Stay tuned.
allstar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2014, 05:34 AM   #42
eyeresist
Commander

I've rated all ENT episodes based on one complete watch-through, but I think I may have to do it again and re-evaluate my scores. The reason is that I watched a few episodes over the weekend, including Singularity, because some forumites here were discussing it fondly. I originally gave it 5 out of 10, but now I think it's worth much more, at least a 7. Why did I originally mark it down? The only reason I can think is that it does have a featured part for Hoshi, who I always found annoying because of the actress's limitations. But the rest is good, especially Malcolm, who is even more fun than usual. T'Pol also gets something to do other than be disapproving. Also, as with Breaking the Ice and Shuttlepod One (two other favourites), the story doesn't depend on a villain, instead being about character and scientific problems.
Dean: It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Star Trek Four! Save the whales!
Old September 22 2014, 01:44 PM   #43
allstar77
Lieutenant Commander

I love T'Pol, but her addiction grated on me. For the longest time I thought she was going through meno-T'pause.
allstar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2014, 02:22 PM   #44
Trek Survivor
Captain

I did a recent thread which followed my watching of the series from beginning to end and a lot of my thoughts on the series can be found there.

TNG will always be my favourite - it was the show I grew up with, and so almost for nostalgia reasons alone it gets a free pass. (I do still think it's the best, even without that though!)

But Enterprise is a very close second, and easily whacked DS9 down to #3. TOS is next, followed by TAS, and then way, way down there is Voyager.
Old September 23 2014, 02:19 AM   #45
eyeresist
Commander

allstar77 wrote: View Post
I love T'Pol, but her addiction grated on me. For the longest time I thought she was going through meno-T'pause.
You mean T'Change?
Dean: It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Star Trek Four! Save the whales!