Type-15 Shuttlepod optical isolinear chip storage.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by PyroJockey, Sep 3, 2014.

1. PyroJockey

PyroJockey Ensign Red Shirt

Greetings,

I am working on a full scale replica of the Type-15 Shuttlepod mock-up from TNG.

Full story on The Replica Prop Forum.

I am looking for the source of the optical isolinear chip storage unit as seen in the rear access of the shuttlepod in "The Minds Eye".

Cover on

Cover off

This does not appear to be scratch built but something else that has been redressed.

Can anyone identify the source of this prop?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever it is, they had plenty to go around.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I wonder if it was just a simple buck someone made up and vac-formed a bunch of them. Hey, maybe Rick Sternbach might chime in with something.

--Alex

4. PyroJockey

Nice catch, never noticed them before. Do you know which episode these were in?

I would love to get some feedback from the experts on several aspects of this project, Rick Sternbach on the design, Mike Okuda on some of the LCARS and stickers, and especially Richard McKenzie on some of the construction details and materials used. It does not appear that Mr. McKenzie is a member of this forum.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

the removable cover looks like it came from a toaster while the raised part looks like a 70's poloroid

6. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The chunky plastic housing looks like something the shop either bought or vacuformed. However, the rounded-corner "cover plate" actually goes back to ST:TMP, as one of the longer pearlescent silver storage cases that I made blue labels for (CTYO STORAGE - ANDROMEDA STRAIN). You can see people carrying those cases in TMP and maybe WoK. The storage cases would slip into racks, and only the ends would be visible. Somehow, the ends of the original big cases were "mis-identified" or deliberately modded into cover plates for chips and other widgets.

Rick

7. PyroJockey

Unfortunately I don't have access to a vacuum former but I do have access to a large scale 3D printer and am proficient in 3D modeling

[​IMG]

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

3-D printing is going to revolutionize prop making for sci-fi shows/movies.

9. PyroJockey

Update:

I have found two variations of the object used for this prop. Both of them appear in sick bay. Both variations cover the large rectangular opening with a piece of black acrylic, presumably an LCARS display. One variation has a piece of black acrylic on top of the large protrusion, while the other variation has some additional component(s) attached to the top of and down one side of the large protrusion.

The episode Unnatural Selection shows the variant with the additional components(s).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The episode Times squared shows the variant with the black acrylic.

[​IMG]

The episode Transfigurations shows both variants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The episode Shades of Gray shows the variant with the black acrylic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The episode Starship Mine show both variants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These additional images helped me to extrapolate what the hidden portions of the prop may look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the geometry and the sharpness of the edges I believe this is an injection molded part form some commercial product.

Does anyone recognize the shape? One theory is this may have been the top panel of a circa 1980's thermal printer with a roll of thermal paper nested in the rectangular opening. The round hole on top of the large protrusion may have been start or power button. the small rectangular holes on the top may have been status indicator lights.

Does anyone know of any other on screen appearances that may provide a higher level of detail?

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I recognized the cover plates from the corridor beyond McCoy's office (TMP, TWOK) (which was also used in TWOK as the side corridor out of the transporter room), but never made the connection to the cases seen here. Very cool. And I love the nod to Robert Wise's earlier movie. You guys in the Art Department always seemed to have lots of fun with stuff like that. :)

11. PyroJockey

Here are some additional views of the two props. Special thanks to Nick Daring at TheRPF.com.

I'm hoping somebody will recognize what device they originally came from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I'm getting a strong cash register vibe about these things. Maybe they re-purposed some? :)

-Ricky

13. PyroJockey

A huge thank you to Lt.Washburn on the Fleet Workshop Forum for identifying the source for the isolinear storage prop.

[​IMG]

It is the top cover of a Clay Adams QBC Hematology Analyzer from Becton Dickinson. There are a few variations but so far models 4526 an 4477 are both a match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would love to get a hold of a non-functioning unit for a decent price.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Might be cheaper to 3d print a replica prop.

Kaiser likes this.
  15. PyroJockey

I am considering it. I have a source that can produce industrial quality 3D prints via laser sintering nylon but for a piece this large it will be costly. Still surfing ebay for a bargain.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  16. PyroJockey

Got a quote of $950 to 3D print the part. I also just won a non-functioning unit off ebay for a $15 bid. The shipping will cost $25.50. Still a good deal.