Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 63 31.50%
A 71 35.50%
A- 36 18.00%
B+ 14 7.00%
B 7 3.50%
B- 3 1.50%
C+ 2 1.00%
C 2 1.00%
C- 1 0.50%
D+ 1 0.50%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1 2014, 01:09 AM   #511
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
I just thought of something. The Collector showed the Guardians video footage of a Celestial using the Power Stone to destroy an inhabited planet's surface. How is it even possible that the camera survived? The movie clearly showed that the Power Stone's energy could devastate objects comprised of organic and inorganic matter.
It might've been CGI since the whole thing was a projection anyway.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2014, 05:28 PM   #512
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Or the image was captured years after the fact by simply travelling "X" number of light-years from the incident and observing the light cone. OR it was captured though some sort of time window thingy. Possibilities abound!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2014, 06:36 PM   #513
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I finally got a chance to see the film today and I LOVED it. I haven't laughed out loud like that in a movie in a long time. The interactions between Groot and Rocket and Drax had me practically in tears at times. I can't wait for GotG 2 and 3!
Old September 3 2014, 12:23 AM   #514
Hypaspist
Commander

Great movie. It isn't surprising that what could have been a throwaway comic movie was willing to take the most risks and ended up being really good.
Hypaspist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2014, 05:54 AM   #515
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Really fun movie. If I could have rated it an A+ based on the character interactions alone I would have.

Old September 7 2014, 02:50 PM   #516
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
There's also something, I think, specific to MCU action that's coming to grate on me. It's very hard to make visual sense of how actions scenes work and what should or could happen. In terms of physical mass, Drax looks like he should be able to crush Ronan the Accuser like a wicker statue. He can't, Because Ronan Is The Big Bad, but it's hard to tell why this is beyond just being writer/director fiat rather than anything the movie visually cues or sets up. I noticed this in Thor: The Dark World, too, which was the last MCU movie I saw on the big screen before this one. There are no rules, and about the only thing I can reliably tell about a fight in the MCU is that anything in badass-looking chitinous alien armour is a useless mook that
Isn't that a comicbook thing you're complaining about as well, then?

Namor can hold his own against the massive Hulk, just as Silver Surfer won't budge from a punch from Giant Man. It's not about physical mass and really has never been. Tiny Superman up against the much larger Bane has the same results.

We never saw Ronin bench-press space pod, but judging from the fight from Drax, he obviously could. I'm not sure how (or why) that would be set up earlier in the movie, except to have Ronan look at the camera and exposition us what class his strength level is at and maybe showing us the graph at the back of one of those old Marvel universe trading cards.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2014, 03:24 PM   #517
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

...that was how they did show us how strong Ronan was, by having him swat Drax away so easily.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2014, 07:11 PM   #518
BigJake
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Isn't that a comicbook thing you're complaining about as well, then?
I guess that's pretty much what it comes down to, yeah.
Old September 7 2014, 08:28 PM   #519
Hypaspist
Commander

Ronan is actually the only character I recognize from reading comics, and he is always up against the strongest in the Marvel universe. He's more of a main villain for Nova, and Iron Man can only stand against him when he is wearing some sort of advanced armor.

I think they did a good job establishing Ronan as a supreme badass early on in the film.

Maybe it took the movie to make me realize it, but Marvel comics usually are better when they take place in more far-out locations. The Savage Land is a good start, but nobody liked the X-men because of the messages it had nearly as much as they liked seeing them go to the Shiar Empire. Planet Hulk is seriously one of the best comics I've ever read.
Old September 8 2014, 10:43 AM   #520
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I was actually thinking the other day that Planet Hulk would be a great Hulk solo movie. All they need to set it up is have Hulk fall into some wormhole during Avengers 3. No need to have them forcibly exile him since they can use it to echo Tony's scene from Avengers, just that he doesn't make it back in time.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 11:30 AM   #521
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, that kind of defeats half the point about how his friends betrayed him.

Anyway, there already is a great Planet Hulk movie. A live-action one has the problem of not involving Mark Ruffalo, which defeats most of the point anyway.
Old September 8 2014, 12:31 PM   #522
Mr Light
Admiral

yeah, a Planet Hulk movie done proper wouldn't really be feasible because they could never afford to animate a photorealistic CGI Hulk for two hours straight. Take a look at how much ACTUAL screentime Hulk has in any given movie

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2014, 12:07 AM   #523
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

FYI: over at Zedge there is a "I am Groot" notification/Ringtone.
if you are so inclined.
Old September 9 2014, 01:21 AM   #524
Hypaspist
Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
yeah, a Planet Hulk movie done proper wouldn't really be feasible because they could never afford to animate a photorealistic CGI Hulk for two hours straight. Take a look at how much ACTUAL screentime Hulk has in any given movie
They did a pretty badass job mixing CGI with regular actors in this movie. I think Planet Hulk is feasible. There are a lot of characters who could be done by regular actors. Am I wrong when I assume that the pink people in Guardians are directly lifted from Planet Hulk?

I do like how the aliens in this movie were done. It was just like Star Trek: they are weird space aliens, but they're only weird in appearance. For all other intents and purposes, they're regular people.

It's kind of like how the Avatar aliens would have fit into Star Wars. That's not a swipe at Star Wars - I hate Avatar, but the world it created would fit into that kind of world very easily.
Old September 9 2014, 01:31 AM   #525
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The point is, if they're going to make a live action movie, they're going to want their movie star who plays the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) to be in it. That's why everyone involved in anything that matters has said that a Planet Hulk movie isn't even being considered.

Seriously, why does it need to have some live action characters and a CGI Hulk? What's wrong with the animated version, which is a pretty faithful adaptation.