RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,552
Members: 25,806
Currently online: 431
Newest member: lilyjames1988

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 1 2014, 04:00 AM   #1156
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Power Rangers

I've now watched up through Weight and See, and I really didn't notice many of the issues that I remember picking up on the first time I watched the episodes. There IS a tiny bit of clunkiness when it comes to Built for Speed's 50s stunt show plot, Kat working with Justin on his homework in Glyph Hanger (and being concerned about him doing his homework in The Whole Lie), and Porto feeling unappreciated and deciding to go on a rampage in Rally Racer (BTW, in case anyone's interested, I hit on a workaround for said clunkiness that I plan on using should I choose to watch the season again in the future, which is to use the following viewing order for the first 13 episodes of the season: Turbo Movie - Shift into Turbo - Shadow Rangers - Bicycle Built for the Blues - Transmission Impossible - Alarmed and Dangerous - The Whole Lie - Glyph Hanger - Built for Speed - Weight and See - Rally Ranger), but, otherwise, I found myself enjoying the first dozen episodes of the season far more than I remembered.

Before I move forward with reviews of the remaining episodes in Turbo's first half, I'd like to take a moment to list my favorite episodes so far:
Turbo Movie
Shift into Turbo
Shadow Rangers
Bicycle Built for the Blues
The Whole Lie (despite the above-mentioned clunkiness)
Glyph Hanger
Weight and See
Old September 7 2014, 04:39 PM   #1157
Christopher
Writer

This week's Super Megaforce episode, with the team chasing after an amnesiac Tensou, was kind of fun. But they really aren't trying anymore to pass the setting off as America convincingly. The bus had its passenger doors on the left and was driving on the left, making it clear that it wasn't in the US; and the shot of the Q-Rex Megazord launching into space to strike at the asteroid clearly showed it rising up from Japan. Oops!

Also, um, Rangers, if there's A) a giant monster of the type you take out with little difficulty on a weekly basis and B) an asteroid within minutes of striking the Earth and wiping out all life, you should tackle the asteroid first. Not to mention that breaking it into a bunch of little pieces wouldn't actually save the Earth, because then you've just got a shotgun blast hitting the Earth rather than a rifle round. It might even do more damage that way.
Old September 7 2014, 10:31 PM   #1158
Stephen!
Captain

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I had never seen Shadow Rangers prior to watching it (it's one of the few Turbo episodes I never saw during the season's initial airing, with Rally Ranger being another), and I really enjoyed it, to the point that I'd say it's one of the better-written episodes in the franchise.
As soon as Zordon's back is turned (so to speak) the "never escalate a battle" rule goes out the window. First in "Green with Evil" part 02, with calling the Megazord to fight Tommy and again in this episode with the Chromite
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2014, 09:59 AM   #1159
Stephen!
Captain

Power Rangers the Movie figures - more accurate looking ones

http://www.orendsrange.com/2014/09/m...ers-movie.html
Old September 14 2014, 02:23 PM   #1160
Christopher
Writer

^Ugh... the movie costumes were hideous.

This week's "Love is in the Air" was silly, and kind of disquieting. The new monster "butler" essentially tries to slip Levira a roofie, and she ends up falling for him. What kind of message does that send to the kids?

Although it was fun to see Jake trying to talk the giant monster down by encouraging him to ask out his sweetie, rather than just going straight to the usual fight. I was kinda hoping it would work and we'd bypass the usual battle.
Old September 20 2014, 06:59 PM   #1161
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

France got the Mega War episode first

As expected. People are feeling let down/dissapointed
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2014, 12:26 PM   #1162
Stephen!
Captain

Seems that the Hyper Ressha armor can be shared between two people at the same time.

Old September 21 2014, 02:01 PM   #1163
Christopher
Writer

^That looks profoundly impractical.
Old September 21 2014, 09:41 PM   #1164
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^That looks profoundly impractical.
That's probably the point, they argue who gets the armor, get stuck like that and have to overcome that obstacle and their differences. It's one of the Sentai stock plots, I'd be surprised if the shared armor ever shows up again.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2014, 03:37 AM   #1165
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Yeah, I have to admit much of what I've seen of the Train Rangers show just doesn't seem to work for me. This is another step in that category.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2014, 11:15 AM   #1166
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Unicron wrote: View Post
Yeah, I have to admit much of what I've seen of the Train Rangers show just doesn't seem to work for me. This is another step in that category.
How much have you seen because I think the show works just fine. The design of the first mech is ... not so great but later additions like Diesel-Oh and Build Dai-Oh are much better.
The characters are good, the stories too, I think it's all really well done. It starts out episodic so if that's not your thing I understand but there are arcs, the search for the ToQger's home town for example or all the stuff on the villain's side.

The double power up thing, as I said, it's most likely intentional that it's weird and impractical, it's not unlike this from Shinkenger:

Blue and Green were stuck like that for almost the entire episode, they started arguing, were completely useless in battle but overcame that obstacle and defeated the villain with a kickass battle, the choreography was really great.

I expect less choreography and more not stumbling in ToQger's case but the idea seems to be the same.

And how can you not like a show that gives us female red and male pink occasionally, the color switching is one of the best parts imo, so many combinations.

Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2014, 11:39 PM   #1167
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I haven't watched the train series and I don't mean to imply it's bad in terms of overall quality. I've only seen elements from the promotional materials, and a lot of the design aesthetics don't work for me personally. I agree with Christopher that the joined armor just kind of looks silly and impractical. The last segment of PR I watched with any degree of regularity was probably Zeo, so I'm way behind on the more modern series.

And in fairness, there are other chapters in the overall franchise that have the same issues when it comes to aesthetics and such. I'm not a huge fan of the pirate-themed Zords.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2014, 06:23 PM   #1168
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
France got the Mega War episode first

As expected. People are feeling let down/dissapointed
Well, no wonder. If that is indeed IT, I'm not at all surprised that all Saban was willing to offer was (apparently) a plane ticket and hotel for the day it'd take for them to shoot this. Barely even a cameo, really, JDF aside. The other Legacy Ranger episodes had more meat to them, and that's saying a lot.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2014, 05:02 PM   #1169
Stephen!
Captain

Hyper Ressha Tei-Oh

Old September 27 2014, 06:15 PM   #1170
Christopher
Writer

Today's Super Megaforce, "United as One," was cool. The hook of a monster stealing people's happiness threatened to be routine, familiar stuff, but the story went in some unexpected directions. The Megazord battle came five minutes into the episode and was the least formulaic, most unusual one I think they've ever done, with the monster actually shrinking back down, kicking Orion out of his Megazord control seat, and turning the Q-Rex against the other Rangers, then leading them on a chase through their own Megazord -- before inexplicably crippling it just by punching out a person-sized hole in the wall from the inside. I'm curious to know how the city authorities dealt with the Megazord just standing there immobilized in the middle of the main thoroughfare for several hours. The traffic jams must've been prodigious.

And then came the very fun sequence where Emma and Orion used Bugs Bunny-style disguises and trickery to get the monster's staff away from him. Nice to see them use their wits instead of brute force. But how the heck did Emma get her hands on an ambulance, a police car, and the associated uniforms on such short notice? (Maybe she just asked really sweetly? Who could say no to her?)

Although she can be generous to a fault. How can Orion ever learn to fly a kite if she cheats by giving him a magic gust of wind?