Star Trek Uniform Laptop Bag And Fanny Pack
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Star Trek: The Fifty Year Mission
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 27 2014, 12:19 AM   #91
mb22
Commander

Re: The Cage & Captain Pike

HERB: We had an option on Jeff Hunter for a series, but not for another pilot... the lights came up, Jeff Hunter's wife [actress Sandy Bartlett] gave us our answer: "This is not the kind of show Jeff wants to do, and besides, it wouldn't be good for his career. Jeff Hunter is a movie star."
I suppose his starring in the Temple Houston series that had aired on NBC just the previous year didn't count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_...28TV_series%29
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 01:05 AM   #92
Push The Button
Fleet Captain

mb22 wrote: View Post
HERB: We had an option on Jeff Hunter for a series, but not for another pilot... the lights came up, Jeff Hunter's wife [actress Sandy Bartlett] gave us our answer: "This is not the kind of show Jeff wants to do, and besides, it wouldn't be good for his career. Jeff Hunter is a movie star."
I suppose his starring in the Temple Houston series that had aired on NBC just the previous year didn't count.

Looks like more raw material for the "Trek Guest Actors" thread. I spotted three off the top of my head from the Wikipedia page.
Old August 27 2014, 01:41 AM   #93
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

mb22 wrote: View Post

Temple Houston was not fantasy. Few "serious actors" respected anything under that umbrella at the time (much like today--even when it earns bank loads of money). Funny thing is, if Hunter's wife had a problem with his being associated with fantasy, it did not prevent him from guest starring on an episode of The Green Hornet ("Freeway to Death") in December of 1966.
Old August 27 2014, 05:31 AM   #94
Harvey
Admiral

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
I do not recall which book I read it in, if it was "I Am Spock" or "Star Trek Memories," but I believe that Hunter, after a suggestion by his wife, asked for more money to continue with the show, regardless of the form. Now, I might be misremembering this information, so please take it with some salt.
Both Nimoy and Shatner recall that Hunter was "let go" (Nimoy) or "fired" (Shatner) in their memoirs. According to Herb Solow (Maurice quotes the appropriate passage), Hunter actually declined to participate in the second pilot, which is supported by a letter Roddenberry sent the actor on April 5, 1965. I wrote a little more about Hunter's departure in this blog post.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 06:00 AM   #95
Warped9
Admiral

Remembering Jeffrey Hunter: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h2VWQCxqkH0
Old August 27 2014, 06:10 AM   #96
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

From the performances in 'The Cage' I don't think that Star Trek would have been a success. And there would have been no TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT.
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 06:48 AM   #97
fireproof78
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
fireproof78 wrote: View Post
I do not recall which book I read it in, if it was "I Am Spock" or "Star Trek Memories," but I believe that Hunter, after a suggestion by his wife, asked for more money to continue with the show, regardless of the form. Now, I might be misremembering this information, so please take it with some salt.
Both Nimoy and Shatner recall that Hunter was "let go" (Nimoy) or "fired" (Shatner) in their memoirs. According to Herb Solow (Maurice quotes the appropriate passage), Hunter actually declined to participate in the second pilot, which is supported by a letter Roddenberry sent the actor on April 5, 1965. I wrote a little more about Hunter's departure in this blog post.
Thank you, and to Maurice as well, for the information. I did remember that his wife had something to say about it, but obviously the circumstances were lost a little bit to time.

I appreciate the link as well, and look forward to reading it

As for the Cage, I think Pike could have been a charismatic leader, much like Kirk, if given the opportunity to explore different facets of the character.
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 07:38 AM   #98
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I would hardly call Pike more likeable than Kirk because we don't really know Pike or how he would have evolved while we definitely know Kirk. And I definitely find Kirk a likeable fellow.
I've always found Kirk to be a bit of a douche personally. Pike, even in just a single appearance, just struck me as a more interesting character.

To each their own.
Old August 27 2014, 07:48 AM   #99
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I would hardly call Pike more likeable than Kirk because we don't really know Pike or how he would have evolved while we definitely know Kirk. And I definitely find Kirk a likeable fellow.
I've always found Kirk to be a bit of a douche personally. Pike, even in just a single appearance, just struck me as a more interesting character.

To each their own.
To Kirk, as long as you're wearing a red shirt, it's like you don't exist.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 12:55 PM   #100
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Too bad the thread fell apart into a Kirk vs. Pike thing.

Again, I think it would've been cool to have a few more adventures with Pike and his crew, but I definitely think Kirk, Spock, Bones and co made for an infinitely better cast.

Still, I'd love to see more Pike despite Kirk being one my all time, if not my all time, favorite character.
Old August 27 2014, 01:43 PM   #101
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Too bad the thread fell apart into a Kirk vs. Pike thing.
Threads usually take all kinds of twists and turns. That's what makes them interesting to read.

As far as Pike and Company go, I doubt we'd be here discussing this show fifty years later if Hunter had been the lead.
Old August 27 2014, 02:48 PM   #102
Warped9
Admiral

There is really only so much you can say about "The Cage." It's one standalone episode with next to nothing (canon wise) as followup except Pike's eventual fate in "The Menagerie."

There are tidbits of worldbuilding and backstory in "The Cage" that can be retconned or rationalized within the larger continuity of Trek, but very little else.

Contrast this with what we learn in WNMHGB.
- Kirk and Mitchell have been friends for fifteen years.
- Kirk was a serious student at the Academy.
- Kirk plays chess with Spock for recreation.
- Kirk had a prior command.
- Spock has a human ancestor (revealed later in "The Corbomite Maneuver" as his mother).
- Spock cuts to the heart of things with his logic.

Additionally the entire cast of WNMHGB simply feels more accessible and real. Their performances really sell the Enterprise and the Trek universe as a believable setting.

"The Cage" is full of ideas, but it feels somewhat cold and sterile. Boyce is the one who seems the most real with Pike a close second. The rest are mostly types rather than characters. We learn Pike is introspective about a recent mission gone bad, but nothing else beyond that.

It's a matter of overall execution. There is simply something a bit stiff and dry about "The Cage" and its characters in general. It looks great, but there is a spark missing to really bring it to life.

I like "The Cage" bridge better than the WNMHGB version. I like the Enterprise exterior in "The Cage" better than the WNMHGB version (the big differences are the nacelle end caps and the impulse engine detail). Then again the WNMHGB version is lighted. I wish we could have gotten some more ship exterior shots in "The Cage'" but then again the big miniature wasn't lighted yet and the small 3-footer miniature didn't convey a sense of size.

In fairness we can pick it apart now, but in 1965 it's easy to see how strong an impression it would have made. It really isn't far off feature film standards of the day.
Old August 27 2014, 03:06 PM   #103
EnriqueH
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I don't think really anyone is denying that Kirk, Spock and company were better than the Pike and co. crew.

I just find The Cage so well made and interesting that I would enjoy, in an alternate universe, seeing a few more of their adventures.

But I think part of the allure or curiosity of seeing more Pike and co. has to do PRECISELY with the very thing some of you are criticizing them for: the fact that we learn so little about them is also strangely part of the reason I would be curious to see their further adventures.

But again, there's no doubt that the right cast was ultimately chosen.
Old August 27 2014, 03:13 PM   #104
dswynne1
Lieutenant Commander

"The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" feels more suited for a movie environment than a television pilot. In fact, in a perfect world, if I could make a wish, I would have had a movie trilogy featuring Pike, and then go on to have the TOS television show for five seasons (set years later). Also, I would allow for Young Spock being more emotional, who would later become the more rationale, more logical version that we all know and love. And, I would definitely have a running joke go on where NO ONE knows if "Number One" had a "real" name or not. Is she an alien? Immortal? Or is she just a human with a wicked sense of humor? I know that in some literature (fandom or legit), Number One did have a name. In fact, one fan-centric text had her be the older sister of Nurse Chapel (named Arianna Chapel).

Hopefully, we'll get more pre-TOS stuff in the near feature, though I doubt it...
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 03:22 PM   #105
telerites
Lieutenant Commander

Shatner was the man for me and the accompanying cast was awesome but I thought Hunter's take on Pike was very good and could have still made ST successful. I do think the other cast could have evolved but did not start as polished as Kirk and crew.
telerites is offline   Reply With Quote