RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 413
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2014, 03:58 PM   #31
Marsden
Captain

Re: So, lets talk "Blade Runner" ....

I don't think Deckard was a replicant, why would they have those in a unit that is supposed to hunt them down?

I like the ambiguity, but I really don't think it would be logical. And the Unicorn dream is really pointless. In my opinion, of course, I don't want to desparage any who like it.

Of course, shooting holes in my own opinion, that could be why Gaff is shadowing him constantly. Maybe Gaff is really more of a boss than Bryant even. But that's the kind of strange thinking that has people seeing conspiracies everywhere.

My take away is, I need to watch this again, it's been too long. I liked with the narration and without.
Old August 27 2014, 03:47 AM   #32
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
I don't think Deckard was a replicant, why would they have those in a unit that is supposed to hunt them down?
"Fight fire with fire"?
Old August 27 2014, 04:14 AM   #33
JeffinOakland
Lieutenant Commander

"How can it not know what it is?" -Decker

I think its the most important and most unintentionally revealing line in the movie. Great movie. A desert island pick.
Old August 27 2014, 04:57 AM   #34
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Bryant was a bigoted bully. He would never have been able to resist taunting Deckard if he had known he was a 'sleeper' skinjob.
Bryant isn't really a bigot in the Final Cut though. The voice-over material from the theatrical cut doesn't count.

For me, part of the illogic of Deckard being a replicant is that he'd have to be either Nexus 5 or 6, right? If he's a 5, then he'd have no emotional responses, and if he's a 6 why is he so incapable of taking down other replicants? The only ones he actually retires were both unarmed women...one of whom he shoots in the back.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 05:15 AM   #35
JeffinOakland
Lieutenant Commander

For me, part of the illogic of Deckard being a replicant is that he'd have to be either Nexus 5 or 6, right? If he's a 5, then he'd have no emotional responses, and if he's a 6 why is he so incapable of taking down other replicants? The only ones he actually retires were both unarmed women...one of whom he shoots in the back
In fact, all 4 of them get the drop on him and could have killed him. He's actually a pretty crummy private eye/Blade Runner even though he's told he's the best by an untrustworthy source. He may not "act" like a replicant because he thinks he's human.
Old August 27 2014, 05:25 AM   #36
Tosk
Rear Admiral

JeffinOakland wrote: View Post
In fact, all 4 of them get the drop on him and could have killed him.
That's right. Zhora only stopped from killing him due to other people coming in, and Pris was basically just playing with him. All the replicants except for Zhora seem to have a "cat with a mouse" attitude towards Deckard.

He's actually a pretty crummy private eye/Blade Runner even though he's told he's the best by an untrustworthy source.
I do think he's a pretty good detective. He found clues, investigated, interviewed...he found two of the replicants, and was in the right place to be found by the other two.

He may not "act" like a replicant because he thinks he's human.
So what would be the point of a replicant Blade Runner that thinks it is human and isn't particularly great at their job?

...And if Deckard is a replicant, is Holden too? Is every Blade Runner a replicant? If not, why not?

It's that kind of thinking that makes the Deckard=human angle seem more plausible to me.
Old August 27 2014, 05:30 AM   #37
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
That's right. Zhora only stopped from killing him due to other people coming in, and Pris was basically just playing with him. All the replicants except for Zhora seem to have a "cat with a mouse" attitude towards Deckard.

He's actually a pretty crummy private eye/Blade Runner even though he's told he's the best by an untrustworthy source.
I do think he's a pretty good detective. He found clues, investigated, interviewed...he found two of the replicants, and was in the right place to be found by the other two.

So what would be the point of a replicant Blade Runner that thinks it is human and isn't particularly great at their job?

...And if Deckard is a replicant, is Holden too? Is every Blade Runner a replicant? If not, why not?

It's that kind of thinking that makes the Deckard=human angle seem more plausible to me.
If Earth's environment is dying, and the human race with it as per the book, the goal of replicants who think they are human could be to create replicants of the better folks like Tyrel and family who can survive the harsher environment of Earth as well as space. Hunting replicants could be a cover for part of that purpose rather than the goal.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 05:38 AM   #38
JeffinOakland
Lieutenant Commander

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post

If Earth's environment is dying, and the human race with it as per the book, the goal of replicants who think they are human could be to create replicants of the better folks like Tyrel and family who can survive the harsher environment of Earth as well as space. Hunting replicants could be a cover for part of that purpose rather than the goal.
Maybe his boss sees him as disposable. One way or another, one less "skin job". I dunno. I prefer to think of him as a replicant who doesn't know he's a replicant. I can't prove it, of course, I just think that's what Scott and Ford were getting at. '"More real than real."
Old August 27 2014, 06:00 AM   #39
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I just think that's what Scott and Ford were getting at. '"More real than real."
Scott nowadays says that Deckard is a replicant, Ford says absolutely not.

Even the people responsible can't decide for sure.
Old August 27 2014, 06:14 AM   #40
JeffinOakland
Lieutenant Commander

I just think that's what Scott and Ford were getting at. '"More real than real."
Scott nowadays says that Deckard is a replicant, Ford says absolutely not.

Even the people responsible can't decide for sure.
Coy bastards
Old August 27 2014, 07:09 AM   #41
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

For what it's worth, according to Sean Young, it was a suggestion when they were going through the script that Deckard might be a replicant but the studio wouldn't go with it so it was dropped. That's all the evidence I need. Deckard was depicted as human in the theatrical release and no amount of retrofitting will change that. Especially not a unicorn clip randomly thrown in.
Old August 27 2014, 12:06 PM   #42
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I've always thought that it doesn't matter either way if Deckard was a replicant or not. For me, the point to simply ask the question "what does it mean to be human?" IMO that's one of the core concepts of the whole film (and indeed, the book.)

The way I see it, in a sense, Roy was was human, at least in the end. And if that's the case then maybe Deckard could be too.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 12:29 PM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The big DVD/Bluray set has a really cool disc which contains a bunch of deleted and alternate scenes cut together with unused voiceover to make a sort of parallel what-if narrative.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 01:04 PM   #44
EnriqueH
Commander

Boy, reading through this thread makes me want to watch the movie again.

At first, I didn't like it.

I remember looking at the VHS case and seeing Ford with the gun, thinking it was basically "Han Solo: The Movie", so I was expecting more of an action, sci-fi film.

But I've grown to like it with repeat viewings.

I saw the theatrical version with the narration, intending to watch the Final Cut and I still have yet to get around to it. I need to do that.
Old August 27 2014, 01:18 PM   #45
Forbin
Admiral

In fact, all 4 of them get the drop on him and could have killed him. He's actually a pretty crummy private eye/Blade Runner even though he's told he's the best by an untrustworthy source.
Right? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Deckard spends the whole final act of the film running away from Batty.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote