Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 26 2014, 07:41 AM   #46
phredy
Ensign

Re: Dull Humans?

I think the idea of humans in Star Trek being holier-than-thou is slightly exaggerated. The Starfleet officer watching Vina dance in "The Cage" seemed lecherous enough, Kodos panicked at the first sign of crop failure and started phasering people, the Federation is tolerant of exotic forms of death for comparatively minor crimes on Deneb V, etc.

Humans in the future best explained by Kirk in "Star Trek III". With his self-sacrificing steed and trusty companions, Kirk travels to the Underworld, kicks the Devil in the face, steals his giant bird, and spirits his dead friend back to the living world for rebirth. Kirk is still a plain human being with all the faults, but unlike Gilgamesh or Orpheus, future humanity has learned it's lesson and keeps it's eye on the ball.
phredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 08:16 AM   #47
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

You gave 23rd century examples. It's the 24th century when this "we have evolved beyond such pettiness" gets spouted in such a blatantly dishonest and hypocritical way.

Picard's myopic little starship world may be a utopia, but the entire Federation isn't. As he found out, even some Starfleet officers are nothing but crooks.

Would Picard "march into hell" to save any of his officers? He sort of did for Data, but the rest? None that I can remember.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 08:57 AM   #48
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I have been to Detroit, and I can tell you it's not as bad as the media keeps saying it is.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 03:02 PM   #49
Jedi_Master
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I have been to Detroit, and I can tell you it's not as bad as the media keeps saying it is.
Incomprehensible graph is incomprehensible.
Old August 26 2014, 04:20 PM   #50
BigJake
Rear Admiral

T'Girl is of course making the point that Detroit's violent crime rates are well above the American national median rates, which is fair enough. But of course hardly makes it comparable to Turkana IV nor redeems her bizarre, obnoxious and offensive initial rhetorical attempt to bring in "Planet Detroit" as a completely non sequitur slam against progressive-something-or-other, as if progressivism is somehow the proven cause of urban decay or social collapse in Detroit or anywhere else.

Last edited by BigJake; August 26 2014 at 04:56 PM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 06:23 PM   #51
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
But of course hardly makes it comparable to Turkana IV ...
The graph is a direct response to the statement that "it's not as bad as the media keeps saying it is."

Detroit is very much as bad as the media keeps saying it is, it's a shining example of how a city government should not run a major city over the course of decades.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 06:26 PM   #52
Jedi_Master
Commodore

The graph is a direct response to the statement that "it's not as bad as the media keeps saying it is."

Detroit is very much as bad as the media keeps saying it is, it's a shining example of how a city government should not run a major city over the course of decades.

But even if someone were to accept that premise, there has been no factual information provided to classify Turkana IV as "Planet Detroit - ruined by progressive policies run amuck".

Old August 26 2014, 06:30 PM   #53
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post

But even if someone were to accept that premise, there has been no factual information provided to classify Turkana IV as "Planet Detroit - ruined by progressive policies run amuck".

Additionally, this is not the forum where I can properly eviscerate such ridiculous drivel. Bring your clap-trap into TNZ, T'Girl, so it can be met with appropriate force.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 06:45 PM   #54
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Why do you think she doesn't post in there?

BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 07:00 PM   #55
BigJake
Rear Admiral

it's a shining example of how a city government should not run a major city over the course of decades.
From what you've said thus far, I'm not very convinced that you could come up with a convincing diagnosis of what Detroit's genuine problems or the sources of those problems are, or what its proper public profile should be and how media representation compares to that.

Old August 26 2014, 08:22 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

T'Girl is of course making the point that Detroit's violent crime rates are well above the American national median rates, which is fair enough. But of course hardly makes it comparable to Turkana IV nor redeems her bizarre, obnoxious and offensive initial rhetorical attempt to bring in "Planet Detroit" as a completely non sequitur slam against progressive-something-or-other, as if progressivism is somehow the proven cause of urban decay or social collapse in Detroit or anywhere else.
+1

Old August 26 2014, 10:25 PM   #57
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

I'm picking up on a theme here.

BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 11:24 PM   #58
dub
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I never liked the "evolved" humans of TNG. Any future Trek project is far better off abandoning the concept, which only serves to make the characters unlikeable. TOS, DS9, the classic and new movies got humanity right.
Perhaps that's why FC is my favorite of the TNG films. Picard is a more relatable, human, flawed man in that picture.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 12:19 AM   #59
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post

My point is...like I said, I have been to Detroit. I have seen it up close. I'm not denying that there are serious problems there, but it is hardly the free-for-all that is the image propounded by the media. There is still hope in Detroit. It's not total chaos or anarchy. And it's not anywhere near what Tasha's colony was like.

Detroit is not a failed city by any means. It can be fixed.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 06:35 AM   #60
wulfio
Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
The problem with Roddenberry's evolved humans of the 24th century, who are so enlightened they can't even argue over the last sandwich on a tray, is they're insufferable sanctimonious assholes.
I like them.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote