Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Which Superman do you find the best?
Adventures Of Superman (1951-1958) 19 38.00%
Superboy (1988-1992) 2 4.00%
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman (1993-1997) 19 38.00%
Smallville (2001-2012) 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26 2014, 04:12 AM   #121
EnriqueH
Captain

Re: Superman: The Live Action TV Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
No it's not backwards, because the scene didn't setup anything for 2. It was a nice scene to start 1 off with, but it didn't setup 2.
Why are you not getting this? It set up the existence of Zod, Non, and Ursa, because the filmmakers intended them to be the villains in part 2. The reason Zod was given that big speech declaring a vendetta against Jor-El and his entire family was to give him a motivation for going against Superman in the next movie. The whole thing was nothing but setup.

One more time: Superman: The Movie and Superman 2 were written together as a single 2-part script, and were filmed back-to-back as a single continuous production (at least until Richard Donner was fired 70 percent of the way through filming on S2). Therefore, when S:TM was made, they already knew that the story for part 2 would be about the Phantom Zone villains, and that is the only reason they included those characters in the first movie at all.

As I believe someone already mentioned, S:TM was originally going to end with the deflected nuclear missile releasing the trio from the Phantom Zone, as a cliffhanger to lead into S2. Since the opening scene had already established who they were, it would've set up that cliffhanger ending, and then it would've been easier to see its intended purpose.
Exactly.

Hello! Do you remember Zod's dialogue, Tom? It's one of my favorite movies so I can tell you:

"You WILL bow down before me, Jor El. I swear it! No matter that it takes an eternity, you WILL bow down before me! Both you, and then one day, your HEIRS!"

(I know that the way Zod says "your HEIRS!" sounds like he's saying "your ASS!" but trust me: he says "your HEIRS!")

If that is not a set up for a future appearance, I don't know what is.

Or are you trying to get a rise out of people?
Old August 26 2014, 05:22 PM   #122
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

And how many books, movies or TV shows have we seen where the bad guy shouts, just before heading off to jail, that he is going to get "even" with the hero, never to be heard from again? Really that was the worst setup for a 2nd movie possible.

And the Zod portions of the 2nd movie are mostly just big fighting special effects scenes that muddy up the more interesting Luthor story.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 06:41 PM   #123
EnriqueH
Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
And how many books, movies or TV shows have we seen where the bad guy shouts, just before heading off to jail, that he is going to get "even" with the hero, never to be heard from again?
They're called boxoffice flops.

The movie flops and they don't make the sequel.
Old September 7 2014, 10:06 PM   #124
EnriqueH
Captain

Guardians of the Galaxy has surpassed Man of Steel's boxoffice. Very interesting statistics. MOS beat Guardians in the first weekend, and GotG has beaten MOS every weekend after that by a considerable margin.

It's gotta be word of mouth.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/c...originshow.htm
Old September 8 2014, 01:26 AM   #125
Killer Frost
Commodore

I also think GoTG benefits from being something fresh and also Marvel's track record which is better than WB/DC in the past few years. I haven't seen GoTG so I can't say if it is better than MoS, I do think MoS is way better than SR.

ETA: I voted for SMALLVILLE.
Killer Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 01:51 AM   #126
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
They're called boxoffice flops.

The movie flops and they don't make the sequel.
And yet in Trek we've seen STV and Insurrection flop, and both got sequels. Also the Wizard Of Oz was originally considered a flop, and yet decades later sequels were created.

I haven't seen Guardians of The Galaxy yet, but hopefully it has a better story than Man of Steel.
Old September 10 2014, 07:19 AM   #127
CorporalClegg
Admiral

What does any of that have to do with his point?
Old September 10 2014, 09:51 AM   #128
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Here's what i thought of each:

Adventures Of Superman (1951-1958)
Classic show..i remmeber getting up at like 5am to watch them on TV....but as mentioned, *no* Superman villains (like Lex Luthor). To me, i think of it like Trek TOS -- classic, and the reason for future incarnations

Superboy
I was in high school, and busy when much of it aired.I remember the switch of not only the Superboy actor, but Lex Luthor switch really turned me off -- it made no sense to go from Superboy's contemporary to an older guy. So missed the apparently better episodes (according to Wikipedia), and due to legalities, won't see it in the future.

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman

I thought Dean Cain was great,and it was generally fun, despite Lois being a ditz (to me)

Smallville (2001-2012)
To me, there was at least a couple good things each season. The first few -- the Freak of the Week got old...but Michael Rosenbaum is the definitive Lex Luthor...too bad they couldn't use him in Superman v. Batman. John Glover was also good, giving us reasons to see why Lex became a villain.

Later on, i really appreciated when they delved deeper in the grater DC universe. From Ultraman to Justice Society to of course Green Arrow. Geoff Johns' contributions were especially good -- the Legion episode really felt like a great adaptation of the Legion of Superheroes. And like most, disappointed in the ending of the series.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 10:52 AM   #129
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post

Superboy
I was in high school, and busy when much of it aired.I remember the switch of not only the Superboy actor, but Lex Luthor switch really turned me off -- it made no sense to go from Superboy's contemporary to an older guy. So missed the apparently better episodes (according to Wikipedia), and due to legalities, won't see it in the future.
Apparently Wikipedia's page is a few years out of date, as all 4 seasons of the show are on DVD (Season 1 is in general release, and then seasons 2-4 are available through Warner's Archive program), and iTunes and the legalities have been settled.