Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 25 2014, 03:39 PM   #61
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: HBO: "The Leftovers"

That was easily the best episode so far.

I wonder if there's a specific reason for not actually showing a departure. Would it just look too cheesy?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:58 PM   #62
Tom
Rear Admiral

Apparently the person just disappears out of thin air. They are also making some dramatic choices by just focusing on reactions and not the actually act itself.

I wonder if Lori ever told Kevin she was pregnant?
Old August 25 2014, 07:53 PM   #63
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The sheriff's scene didn't quite match the one we saw early on in the series. That one appeared to have happened at night, mid-coitus, with him running around in a panic in what looked to be a housing community, not a commercial district.
Old August 25 2014, 08:18 PM   #64
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

That was definitely the best episode of the show so far. Amy Brenneman really shined and Margaret Qualley was great playing a younger version of herself.
Old August 26 2014, 12:58 AM   #65
Zaku
Captain

I understand that is an artistic choice, but how is it possible that no one saw anyone disappear? And there are no video recording of any disappearance?!?
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 01:20 AM   #66
Tom
Rear Admiral

Zaku wrote: View Post
I understand that is an artistic choice, but how is it possible that no one saw anyone disappear? And there are no video recording of any disappearance?!?
I'm sure many people were seen disappearing, who said they didn't? Also there may be video footage, that just has not been added tot he show.
Old August 26 2014, 03:27 AM   #67
SiddFinch1
Commander

Good episode. Best one yet. Explained a little more about pre-disappearance lives
Old August 26 2014, 03:37 AM   #68
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Great episode that probably should have happened half a season ago so things didn't look so random and aimless, and the motivations of the characters would have been a little more apparent and less loathsome.

It's interesting that all of the people shown to have disappeared have either been unloved, unwanted, or inconvenient or a regret to the characters somehow at the time of The Departure. It explains the motivations of the Guilty Remnant for dropping everything except reminding people of the departed ones (though the smoking is still a mystery), and the public at large who they accuse of trying to forget about The Departure. It's people dealing with the realization and guilt of thinking they possibly "wished" their problems away at that moment and it came true.

Weird with all the cracking walls, cracked mug, "gas" explosions in the sewers, and so forth. Previously the only effect of The Departure was on animal life, but it seems to cause some geological and structural damage as well, though it will likely never be explained. It's also interesting that so many people seem to have premonitions or foreboding that something was coming, or that something wasn't right, and not just the deer and dogs.

I figured there was going to be some kind of doctor/patient relationship between Pam and Lori given the hint by Pam in last week's also excellent "Cairo" that they had had many intimate conversations about personal life, but I had expected their roles to be reversed. Interesting to see Pam so frazzled and directionless, whereas she always seemed to have a singular goal and intellect post-Oct. 14th. The Departure really gave her her calling in life. Glad to see the actress still hanging around in flashbacks since her chilling performance last week was amazing, but I was going to miss her contribution to the cast.

I'm glad I decided to stick with the show till the end of the first season despite my frustration early on, because these last few episodes have been great. Hopefully they keep up the good work.
Old August 26 2014, 04:35 PM   #69
Zaku
Captain

Tom wrote: View Post
Zaku wrote: View Post
I'm sure many people were seen disappearing, who said they didn't? Also there may be video footage, that just has not been added tot he show.
Could you kindly indicate a scene where a character sees someone disappear?
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 07:44 PM   #70
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

For starters, there's the one where they were forming a circuit. Even if they weren't looking directly at the one who disappeared, they would have seen it out of their peripheral vision.
Old August 26 2014, 08:57 PM   #71
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

HA!

Maybe you could only be taken if no one was looking at you?

And everyone that stayed, only stayed because some one was looking at them.

Fucked in the ass by Heisenberg.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 10:48 PM   #72
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD
Tom Hendricks

View Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD's Twitter Profile

I just watched this weeks episode. While very good, just like the last several, I still think the one that focused on Nora Durst, The Guest is the best episode so far.

However I will say this, I started to cry at the end of this episode and I mean big time. I knew what was coming but what I wasn't ready for what that the last thing Nora does is yell at her daughter before she goes. As a father to three young kids, this thought goes through my mind often. I don't ever want the last thing my child would hear is something negative from me. I tell my children all the time I love them because of this.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Dr. Tom Horrible, PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 02:18 PM   #73
Tom
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
For starters, there's the one where they were forming a circuit. Even if they weren't looking directly at the one who disappeared, they would have seen it out of their peripheral vision.
And there were two people holding that persons hand then they vanished they would have noticed. Kevin screwing that woman when she vanished etc.. For dramatic reasons the producers would rather not show the audience them actually disappearing. There were 128 million people that disappeared we have only been shown a handful of them.
Old August 27 2014, 10:48 PM   #74
Shurik
Fleet Captain

I'm glad I decided to stick with the show till the end of the first season despite my frustration early on, because these last few episodes have been great. Hopefully they keep up the good work.
Me too, it turned out to be pretty good.
Old August 29 2014, 11:24 PM   #75
publiusr
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
HA!

Maybe you could only be taken if no one was looking at you?

And everyone that stayed, only stayed because some one was looking at them.
A reverse Blink. As the new Doctor would say--you can't even see me.

Here is a premise for your Rapture 2.0

We spend so much time with our devices, our neighbors cease to exist.

Maybe it isn't just gods who die with our worship or honor.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote