Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old August 20 2014, 12:29 AM   #31
ReedEnterprise
Captain

Re: Never Gave ENT a Chance. Just Now Watching It For The First Time.

I have to say that there are some good stand out episodes in the first 2 seasons. Some are better than the first 2 seasons of the other series. But that's my opinion.

I too think it was just bad timing, too much Trek and the prequel notion. But again.....I will say it became my favorite Trek
Old August 20 2014, 06:55 AM   #32
johnjm22
Lieutenant

I've watched season 3 and am now into season 4. Thus far, it has been much more entertaining than seasons 1 & 2. The story arcs are decent, and they leave you wanting more after each episode ends.

Shifting from one story arc directly into another does feel a little bit forced at times, but still entertaining overall.

I have to say, the first time I heard the new "remixed" theme song I started laughing. I wasn't expecting it, and it just sounded so bad, and so out of place. What were they thinking? Just terrible.

Also, the Xindi, and the set designs associated with them, reminded me of something out of Farscape. Not necessarily a bad thing, except for the Insectoids, which not only had cheap/bad CGI, but also looked like something out of 1950's sci-fi movie. The special effects in general continue to be a problem.

I love T'Pol's new look. I still dislike the portrayal of Vulcans in general, but I understand it now. Tucker and Malcom have grown on me a bit too, and Archer isn't as much of a goody-good doofus which makes him more likeable.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 07:06 AM   #33
JeffinOakland
Commander

By the time ENT got its sea legs under it in Season 3, it didn't matter. The built-in audience of ST fans had given up on it. The ratings just weren't there. As it is, 4 seasons is a respectable run for a sci-fi show on an independent network.
JeffinOakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 10:28 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Three more than Firefly.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 12:17 PM   #35
Melakon
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
This stupid thread title, every time I see it I hear.. "all we are saying.. is give ENT a chance.
Everybody's talking about
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism
Ragism, Tagism, this-ism, that-ism
Ism ism ism

All we are saying is give ENT a chance
Old August 20 2014, 12:50 PM   #36
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
This stupid thread title, every time I see it I hear.. "all we are saying.. is give ENT a chance.
Everybody's talking about
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism
Ragism, Tagism, this-ism, that-ism
Ism ism ism

/joins hands (well, in my case, it's bat wing claws) and sings/
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 09:30 PM   #37
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Praetorian wrote: View Post
gblews,

What's with the spoilers, mate?

This is a first watch thread... Jesus...
Yeah, my bad. Got a little carried away.
Also, Cardassians were one of the most tridimensional species portrayed on Star Trek. Yes, there were some stereotypes, but DS9 showed many kind of Cardassians. Even specific Cardassian individuals showed differente sides to their personality.

Hell, even TNG, right on their first episode, managed to display three Cardassians, all with unique personalities, unlike Klingons, Romulans and Ferengi, who more often than not just acted like walking stereotypes, even if sometimes they would show an individual who diverged from the norm.
I'm not saying that there were no interesting individual Cardassian characters (Ferengi, too) introduced on DS9, just that as a race, the Cardassians weren't that interesting. They were pretty much the Romulans pesonality-wise (not talking about the cultural stuff) with different make-up. We're talking about each series' introduction of new alien races and how interesting those races were.

BTW, I think the Xindi were somewhat interesting, (not Borg-level interesting, but interesting), was because the race was made up of like 5 competely (almost) different species.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 04:06 PM   #38
johnjm22
Lieutenant

Finished watching ENT the other day. Overall, I did enjoy it, but I still think it's tied with VOY as the worst ST series.

It just never felt completely fresh or original.

The format of the show was too similar to its predecessors, largely because the attempts to create a technology limited environment were half-hearted. Hull plating takes the place of shields, we get warp 5 instead of warp 9. Shuttle crafts and docking are used more often than the transportter, and there's no food replicators. Big deal. Other than the occasional difficulties with interspecies communication, none of these limitations had much of an impact on the story telling.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 04:31 PM   #39
alpha_leonis
Captain

What I didn't like about ENT off the bat is that they were pretty obviously (to me) trying to recreate the dynamics of the original cast. Consider:
  • Kirk became older
  • Spock became a woman
  • McCoy became an Engineer (southern accent and all)
  • Scotty became a security officer (british accent and over-the-top obsession with his job)
  • Sulu and Uhura switched races

Phlox is the only counterexample to that pattern. But maybe they just give him a famous scream and he'd be the next Chekov.

Like other folks pointed out, the earlier shows (first two seasons) were too derivative. They could have been rewritten for 23rd or 24th-Century Trek without too much effort.

The third season Xindi arc was just completely out of place, IMO. That season could have been rewritten for any sci-fi series (I could see it as a Farscape subplot, for example.) It didn't scream "Star Trek" to me.

Only season 4 turned out well in my opinion. That was the only season where they tried to develop the show into the *actual* Star Trek mythos that drew everybody to watch the TOS reruns in 1975. I especially liked the visit to the Andorian homeworld. I could even (almost) see the development from Season 4 "Enterprise" into "The Cage".
alpha_leonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 06:51 PM   #40
dub
Fleet Captain

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
The third season Xindi arc was just completely out of place, IMO. That season could have been rewritten for any sci-fi series (I could see it as a Farscape subplot, for example.) It didn't scream "Star Trek" to me.
I can see that, but I still enjoyed the heck out of S3!

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
Only season 4 turned out well in my opinion. That was the only season where they tried to develop the show into the *actual* Star Trek mythos that drew everybody to watch the TOS reruns in 1975. I especially liked the visit to the Andorian homeworld. I could even (almost) see the development from Season 4 "Enterprise" into "The Cage".
Agreed. But somehow I still enjoyed S3 more than S4. It's not quite a fair comparison though since S4 was cut short. Both seasons were excellent though! Minus...the obvious episode.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 09:50 PM   #41
Dell Yount
Lieutenant Commander

It is nice to see the positive comments about Enterprise.
I am currently re-watching the entire series on DVD.
Dell Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 07:59 AM   #42
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Season 3 is the best. I don't know how y'all can't see that...wink...
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote