Dull Humans?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Bry_Sinclair, Aug 20, 2014.

1. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

I would point to some genuine cultural changes for the better in the last three hundred years. For one thing, slavery became a thing to be abolished--even if the job is not yet complete nor is it something that might never happen again. For another--casual racism has become something a large chunk of the world finds so distasteful bigots have to use code words in common, yet protection against such prejudice is enshrined into law. A far cry from the utterly unashamed presumptions of ethnic superiority and open anti-Semitism that were the norm in 1800 for example. Ditto our attitudes towards the genders. To be sure, we haven't become utopia--but 150 years ago the general attitude towards the poor (for example) was to blame them for being poor, with the "solution" put into effect was to humiliate and punish them. Sadly those attitudes are still with us, but they are anything but universally accepted as wisdom these days.

While I think a few centuries is not enough to really change the fundamental nature of humankind, socially it is a very difficult argument to make that we never "grow up" or mature as a society, with a civilization's members growing up in a better moral environment as a result.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Sisko: "Where are the flying cars? I was told there be flying cars !!!!

:)

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Nope.

LINK

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have been to Detroit, and I can tell you it's not as bad as the media keeps saying it is. From hearing them tell it, you'd think it's just this side of Escape from New York. Pure sensationalistic SHITE.

6. phredy

phredy Ensign Red Shirt

I think the idea of humans in Star Trek being holier-than-thou is slightly exaggerated. The Starfleet officer watching Vina dance in "The Cage" seemed lecherous enough, Kodos panicked at the first sign of crop failure and started phasering people, the Federation is tolerant of exotic forms of death for comparatively minor crimes on Deneb V, etc.

Humans in the future best explained by Kirk in "Star Trek III". With his self-sacrificing steed and trusty companions, Kirk travels to the Underworld, kicks the Devil in the face, steals his giant bird, and spirits his dead friend back to the living world for rebirth. Kirk is still a plain human being with all the faults, but unlike Gilgamesh or Orpheus, future humanity has learned it's lesson and keeps it's eye on the ball.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You gave 23rd century examples. It's the 24th century when this "we have evolved beyond such pettiness" gets spouted in such a blatantly dishonest and hypocritical way.

Picard's myopic little starship world may be a utopia, but the entire Federation isn't. As he found out, even some Starfleet officers are nothing but crooks.

Would Picard "march into hell" to save any of his officers? He sort of did for Data, but the rest? None that I can remember.

8. T'Girl

[​IMG]

9. Jedi_Master

Incomprehensible graph is incomprehensible.

10. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

T'Girl is of course making the point that Detroit's violent crime rates are well above the American national median rates, which is fair enough. But of course hardly makes it comparable to Turkana IV nor redeems her bizarre, obnoxious and offensive initial rhetorical attempt to bring in "Planet Detroit" as a completely non sequitur slam against progressive-something-or-other, as if progressivism is somehow the proven cause of urban decay or social collapse in Detroit or anywhere else.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. T'Girl

The graph is a direct response to the statement that "it's not as bad as the media keeps saying it is."

Detroit is very much as bad as the media keeps saying it is, it's a shining example of how a city government should not run a major city over the course of decades.

12. Jedi_Master

But even if someone were to accept that premise, there has been no factual information provided to classify Turkana IV as "Planet Detroit - ruined by progressive policies run amuck".

:thumbdown:

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Additionally, this is not the forum where I can properly eviscerate such ridiculous drivel. Bring your clap-trap into TNZ, T'Girl, so it can be met with appropriate force.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Why do you think she doesn't post in there?

15. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

From what you've said thus far, I'm not very convinced that you could come up with a convincing diagnosis of what Detroit's genuine problems or the sources of those problems are, or what its proper public profile should be and how media representation compares to that.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I'm picking up on a theme here.

18. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps that's why FC is my favorite of the TNG films. Picard is a more relatable, human, flawed man in that picture.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My point is...like I said, I have been to Detroit. I have seen it up close. I'm not denying that there are serious problems there, but it is hardly the free-for-all that is the image propounded by the media. There is still hope in Detroit. It's not total chaos or anarchy. And it's not anywhere near what Tasha's colony was like.

Detroit is not a failed city by any means. It can be fixed.

20. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I like them.