Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 24 2014, 01:17 AM   #316
Delta1
Fleet Captain

Re: The X-Files - First Time Watching

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
Sunshine Days

Why did the penultimate episode of a 9 season series deal with The Brady Bunch?
It wasn't about the Brady Bunch. It was about watching TV with your family, forging connections to fictional characters and, in doing so, drawing closer to real people. It was about the value of stories, and how maybe the cultural critics who call TV a vast wasteland are perhaps not so close to the mark as is generally admitted. It was, I think, a very bold statement. The producers were saying, "We know how much this show means to you, and that it has become part of your life, and perhaps a tradition in your family; and that's not a bad thing (as long as you don't telekinetically launch people through your roof). We hope you will continue to enjoy the show as it goes into reruns."
Delta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 07:31 PM   #317
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I love that episode, personally, but I typically like every episode having to deal with the big story arcs of the show.

They call CSM a few names throughout the show. I think his official behind-the-scenes name was "Cigarette Smoking Man," but that doesn't mean the characters can't call him other things.

I suppose you could look at the credits and see how he's listed.
Coming late to the party . . ..

By coincidence, I was reading the novelization of the first movie a few weeks ago and, yeah, he's referred to as "the Cigarette Smoking Man" throughout. This struck me as a bit odd, to be honest, but I'm not sure what else the poor author (Elizabeth Hand) was suppose to do if that was what he was called in the script.
Old August 25 2014, 05:08 AM   #318
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I love that episode, personally, but I typically like every episode having to deal with the big story arcs of the show.

They call CSM a few names throughout the show. I think his official behind-the-scenes name was "Cigarette Smoking Man," but that doesn't mean the characters can't call him other things.

By coincidence, I was reading the novelization of the first movie a few weeks ago and, yeah, he's referred to as "the Cigarette Smoking Man" throughout. This struck me as a bit odd, to be honest, but I'm not sure what else the poor author (Elizabeth Hand) was suppose to do if that was what he was called in the script.
Well, they could have just called him CGB, or CGB Spender.

Delta1

That's true, but now that I've seen the finale, maybe it should have been about wrapping up some of these characters, like Walter Skinner, who got short shrifted in the finale. It seemed like doing an episode like Sunshine Days could have been done earlier in the season.
Old August 25 2014, 07:09 AM   #319
RoJoHen
Awesome

When I first saw the finale, I thought Skinner was walking to his death. The door closes behind him, and he's toast!
Old August 25 2014, 07:45 AM   #320
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

When I first saw the finale, I thought Skinner was walking to his death. The door closes behind him, and he's toast!
Maybe Skinner got his closure in season 8, when he killed Alax. Alex was a thorn in Skinners side ever since the season 3 finale (or was it season two when Skinner got beat up in the bar) and then you had the nano it's in his body in he later seasons. I didn't think he was toast in the finale, but maybe some kind of closure would have been his dismissal from the FBI.
Old August 25 2014, 09:59 PM   #321
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post

Well, they could have just called him CGB, or CGB Spender.
Had that been established back in 1998, when the movie came out? I don't think so.
Old August 25 2014, 10:42 PM   #322
RoJoHen
Awesome

I feel like his name was revealed in the season after the movie came out, but I could be wrong.
Old August 25 2014, 11:51 PM   #323
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I feel like his name was revealed in the season after the movie came out, but I could be wrong.
My impression is that that was also later down the road. At the time, the novelization was written, he was just the Cigarette-Smoking Man.
Old August 26 2014, 12:05 AM   #324
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

My impression is that that was also later down the road. At the time, the novelization was written, he was just the Cigarette-Smoking Man.
You're both right. The movie came out between seasons five and six; the Smoking Man's "real" name wasn't revealed until the season six episode, "Two Fathers."
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote