IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old August 24 2014, 05:33 PM   #46
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Re: Why all the 'These are the Voyages...' hate?

I wonder why they didn't try to shop ENT around. It had 98 episodes (2 short of syndication), but UPN went off the air the same year as ENT. What would they have done if ENT did get a 5th season?
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:08 PM   #47
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
I wonder why they didn't try to shop ENT around. It had 98 episodes (2 short of syndication), but UPN went off the air the same year as ENT. What would they have done if ENT did get a 5th season?
Had UPN picked up Enterprise for a fifth season the show would've been fit somewhere on the CW schedule. Among the former-UPN shows on the CW's first season were Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris, and Girlfriends; there were slightly more WB shows that went into the joined network.

It's also misleading to say Enterprise was ``two episodes short of syndication''; a hundred episodes is regarded as a good, reliable syndication-friendly package and reaching the hundredth episode is a neat landmark. But it's not like 98 episodes is substantially less desirable. Syndication packages are deals between media corporations, not princesses and Rumpelstiltskin.

Humor Blog: Remember This! Also: How To
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 09:50 PM   #48
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Friends, friends, friends,

While I certainly agree with alot of your critisims of TATV, you guys seem to be missing the most important point: They killed off Trip, the single most annoying, least likeable, worthless jackass in the history of Star Trek.

For THAT alone, this episode should go down in history as the single greatest, most satisfying, award winning piece of television that is ever likely to exist.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 10:17 PM   #49
asl
Ensign

RandyS wrote: View Post
They killed off Trip, the single most annoying, least likeable, worthless jackass in the history of Star Trek.
Huh? Trip was very likeable. Did you even watch the show?
asl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 12:58 PM   #50
teacock
Admiral

Trip was annoying and lovely and saved by an excellent actor. An everyman who worked.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:47 PM   #51
RandyS
Vice Admiral

asl wrote: View Post
They killed off Trip, the single most annoying, least likeable, worthless jackass in the history of Star Trek.
Yes I did. That's how I know he wasn't likeable. Reed was much more likeable than Trip ever was. Trip was a jerk, and believe me, that's the NICEST thing that could ever be said about him.
Old August 25 2014, 03:11 PM   #52
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I'm with 2takesfrakes in that it was great to see these characters again. I'm sure that was the basic idea behind it, and I was grateful for that. But what was not good at all is why it needed to be tied into The Pegasus, or any other episode, at all? Why not just some stand-alone segment of Riker and Troi interacting? The Pegasus aspect was more distracting than anything else.

Had they done a 'generic' Riker-and-Troi-on-Enterprise D, we might now all be speculating on when it took place, rather than pointing out all the reasons it didn't work instead.
I agree the TNG story needed to be as unimportant as possible. Plus they should have stayed for the speech. It makes no sense that they reviewed the whole story and left out the speech that's supposed to be etched in their history textbooks. It would be like watching a movie about De Gaulle and missing the part where he gives his June 18th appeal.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 10:20 PM   #53
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Kobayshi Maru wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Bla bla bla....
I agree the TNG story needed to be as unimportant as possible. Plus they should have stayed for the speech. It makes no sense that they reviewed the whole story and left out the speech that's supposed to be etched in their history textbooks. It would be like watching a movie about De Gaulle and missing the part where he gives his June 18th appeal.
That's a very large part of it, yeah. Imagine The Omega Glory fading back to the ship, just as they get to the part where Kirk is holding the constitution, saying "Over the years, you have slurred the meaning of the words..." . And in that example, we already know the words, even!

Once I realized that the Riker/Troi stuff was referencing The Pegasus, I started thinking about that episode, instead of the one I was watching. Admiral Pressman and phasing cloaking devices were not relevant here, yet they were foremost on my mind.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 10:26 PM   #54
dub
Fleet Captain

Trip was a jerk, and believe me, that's the NICEST thing that could ever be said about him.
Trip was awesome, fun and the opposite of bland...so yeah, I guess I just blew your definitive statement out of the water so hard the humpback whales' friends had to send another probe.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 10:57 PM   #55
teacock
Admiral

Easily the most popular character on ENT.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 11:29 PM   #56
Dukhat
Commodore

Yes I did. That's how I know he wasn't likeable. Reed was much more likeable than Trip ever was. Trip was a jerk, and believe me, that's the NICEST thing that could ever be said about him.
Trip was, in essence, meant to be McCoy. That was the ONLY reason why they made him from the South, to be a McCoy clone. The problem with this is that McCoy, while often sparring good-natured "insults" with Spock, never came off as downright mean or racist. And McCoy's Southern upbringing was also much more of a humorous aspect of the character, while Trip's was more in-your-face, "hey, everyone, I'm from the South!"

But as someone else correctly pointed out, Connor Trineer worked with what he was given, and he gets a lot of credit for turning Trip from that jerk into debatably the most popular character on that show.
Old August 26 2014, 05:59 PM   #57
RandyS
Vice Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post

Trip was, in essence, meant to be McCoy. That was the ONLY reason why they made him from the South, to be a McCoy clone. The problem with this is that McCoy, while often sparring good-natured "insults" with Spock, never came off as downright mean or racist. And McCoy's Southern upbringing was also much more of a humorous aspect of the character, while Trip's was more in-your-face, "hey, everyone, I'm from the South!"

But as someone else correctly pointed out, Connor Trineer worked with what he was given, and he gets a lot of credit for turning Trip from that jerk into debatably the most popular character on that show.
I've never had a problem with the actor. I just don't like the character.
Old August 26 2014, 06:01 PM   #58
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post

I've never had a problem with the actor. I just don't like the character.
The character is a little too colorful for my taste. It's like he needs to be the center of attention in every scene he's in. To quote Archer: "Let me play Captain for once!"
Old August 26 2014, 06:15 PM   #59
ReedEnterprise
Captain

I don't entirely hate TATV, the concept was good.....as far as Troi and Riker. It wasn't executed correctly. How would I do it? I don't entirely know, but it wouldn't be that way.

Number 2....don't kill Trip. He is my second favorite character in all of Trek (Worf first, Reed third).....he was funny, down to earth....he basically was us on a ship. The wonder, innocence, the ingenuity, the hardness he felt after the Xindi attack.

That is my reason. I am one that is grateful for "The Good That Men Do", and the novels that follow.
Old August 26 2014, 06:47 PM   #60
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

ReedEnterprise wrote: View Post
I don't entirely hate TATV, the concept was good.....as far as Troi and Riker. It wasn't executed correctly. How would I do it? I don't entirely know, but it wouldn't be that way.

Number 2....don't kill Trip. He is my second favorite character in all of Trek (Worf first, Reed third).....he was funny, down to earth....he basically was us on a ship. The wonder, innocence, the ingenuity, the hardness he felt after the Xindi attack.

That is my reason. I am one that is grateful for "The Good That Men Do", and the novels that follow.
It definitely wasn't the worst episode of that series. A Night In Sickbay deserved that title.