Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 21 2014, 08:58 PM   #61
fireproof78
Fleet Captain

Re: After Star Trek 3 would you want an immediate reboot?

BigJake wrote: View Post
xavier wrote: View Post
Hollywood seems to be rebooting or making spin offs of all their money making franchise. star wars, harry potter, batman, spiderman you name it. After star trek 3 in 2016 would you like to see the series rebooted immediately in the space of like 3-5 years?
I'm not particularly arsed, since big screen product is more or less losing me anyway. It's getting mighty hard to justify spending twenty- to twenty-five bucks a pop for what's being served up in the multiplex just generally when there's much more attractive and interesting product to be had on the small screen. Anything they do would have to be pretty special (meaning more than just having an actual plot) for me to spend money on it.

I don't know if the current crew will continue or not, though it would be nice to see them get a really interesting story to sink their teeth into before they go. But I think what's increasingly likely to happen is that CBS-Trek (which is reliant on the "domestic" market) and Paramount-Trek (increasingly reliant on the international market) are going to diverge into separate streams, one tailored to television and the other tailored to the tentpole big-screen "thrill ride" model. Which if it happens is cool by me.
(Emphasis added)

I think this is something that needs to be recognized. Part of my problem with any Trek film is similar to any problem of taking a TV series and put it in a film. TV series usually have an ensemble cast, with episodes focusing on different characters. A film usually has one or two main characters (three in TOS films' case: Kirk, Spock and McCoy), with the rest supporting the action.

I think seeing a new Trek TV series, in Abrams verse or another time period, would be interesting.

The struggle I see with Trek right now is the idea of being relevant in a manner that TOS was in the 60s. The timeless commentary that was sometimes missed due to the goofiness of the plot.

Don't get me wrong, I think Abrams films do a good job with the social commentary. I think a series will need to recognize how to do the same, in addition to telling good stores, to continue on with the show.
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 02:22 AM   #62
austen_pierce
Captain

I definitely think there is room for both, perhaps even with character overlap, but to your point not a total share. Personally, I don't want to see another reboot too soon and really don't think we'll get one before 2018-2020 and man, that seems like a hell of a long ways off, but the depressing thing is that it's not.
Old August 23 2014, 12:15 PM   #63
Belz...
Fleet Captain

JHarper wrote: View Post
No I'd like to see NuTrek continue to grow and evolve.
+1.

We're there now. Let's make the best of it. We spent a lot of time in the old timeline. No rush.
Old August 25 2014, 04:23 AM   #64
dub
Fleet Captain

After Star Trek 3 would you want an immediate reboot?
Yes, followed by the blue screen of death.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:27 AM   #65
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
So, you're saying that you want Star Trek to be unable to make money in the movie theater?!?
Old August 25 2014, 05:10 AM   #66
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Star Trek III already happened and they made 3 more movies with the same cast/crew after it. =P

As far as Star Trek XIII, I dunno what I'd want. Really, I'd like to see it try to return to TV and maybe do something interesting again. I don't know what, but I wouldn't want another TOS/TNG/VOY kind of show. But Star Trek has a rich universe to explore regardless of which timeline we're talking about and I think there's no point in rebooting it so soon.
Old August 25 2014, 06:53 AM   #67
Lance
Commodore

xavier wrote: View Post
Hollywood seems to be rebooting or making spin offs of all their money making franchise. star wars, harry potter, batman, spiderman you name it. After star trek 3 in 2016 would you like to see the series rebooted immediately in the space of like 3-5 years?

I am mixed on this. I actually love this new cast and if TOS trek is rebooted again , it may be hard to accept the new actors playing this role over again so soon.

In a way, I feel it is coming, when star trek 3 is done. Paramount will reboot this series all over again. a new set of actors will play kirk, spock, mccoy, uhura, sulu and the rest of the characters.

only thing is most reboot to me in my personal opinion has been kind of medicore. amazing spiderman and superman: man of steel are great examples.

I might cringe a little bit if paramount makes new star trek films before the year 2020 based on the TOS Characters.

It is safe to say most fans may choose a brand new tv show in comparison to a new film trilogy based on TOS.
Something I will agree on is that Hollywood is now very comfortable with rebooting core franchises these days. They sure don't baulk at the thought like they might once have done, at restarting something so fundamentally from scratch with a whole new cast and base level changes to the leads. And as such, I think that having finally broken that barrier and seen their "soft reboot" of Star Trek in 2009 be such a relative success, I definitely don't think Paramount will have nearly as many qualms about doing a more extensive "hard reboot" on the franchise in the years going ahead (and indeed, probably a lot sooner than most of us suspect). I think they were still somewhat hesitant not to break the bond with Old Trek with the 2009 reboot, hence all the 'parallel universe' malarkey, just in case it all went balls up. But I do think they'll definitely have the confidence to go even further in rebooting the franchise next time.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 01:48 PM   #68
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

fireproof78 wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think Abrams films do a good job with the social commentary.
What social commentary?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 02:02 PM   #69
SPCTRE
TBBS Gold Member

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think Abrams films do a good job with the social commentary.
What social commentary?
STID was pretty overt with its drone warfare (long-range torpedo) and targeted killing of a terrorist.
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 04:36 PM   #70
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
What social commentary?
STID was pretty overt with its drone warfare (long-range torpedo) and targeted killing of a terrorist.
Yup.
Old August 25 2014, 06:19 PM   #71
dub
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
So, you're saying that you want Star Trek to be unable to make money in the movie theater?!?
Just a little joke! Seriously though, I'm not crazy about the idea of constant reboots in the Star Trek franchise. I'm not saying Trek is too good for reboots or is in some separate "elite" category as far as franchises go, but to me it just doesn't feel right to reboot based on the way the franchise has evolved over the decades. Something doesn't feel quite right about it. But hey, I enjoyed 2009 and some of STID. And I'm just one person. We'll get what we get. If it's good it's good, if it's not we have lots of other Trek material to read and/or rewatch as others have already said.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 09:59 PM   #72
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Star Trek: The Musical.

Totally serious.
Old August 26 2014, 08:44 AM   #73
SPCTRE
TBBS Gold Member

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Star Trek: The Middle School Musical
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 08:50 AM   #74
drt
Captain

Seriously though, I'm not crazy about the idea of constant reboots in the Star Trek franchise.
*shrug*

It is arguable that it has been softly rebooted several times, starting with TMP, then again for TWOK, TNG, etc.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2014, 09:16 AM   #75
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
Seriously though, I'm not crazy about the idea of constant reboots in the Star Trek franchise.
*shrug*

It is arguable that it has been softly rebooted several times, starting with TMP, then again for TWOK, TNG, etc.
Quite so, though the soft reboots began with "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "The Corbomite Maneuver". In other words, there were as many soft reboots as there could be in the first three episodes made.