Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 9 2014, 10:11 PM   #31
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Future of Star Trek...

Garren wrote: View Post
Star Trek is not about battles of good versus evil, unlike Star Wars.
You might be over thinking this, produce the games and they will come. Old FASA and currently Star Trek Online show that it is quite easy to play combat games within the Star Trek universe.

FASA didn't disappear because it wasn't any fun and no one played it, it disappeared because CBS television canceled their licensing.

People don't buy Star Trek toys in part because you simply can't find them.

If you can have Skywalker battle a Stormtrooper, you can have Kirk battle a Klingon.

Don't worry about the rules, the kids will create their own.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 08:06 AM   #32
The Colonel
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was born in 1988 and growing up I remember a lot of kids (including me) who were really into TNG and large collections of toys that always sold well. This seemed to drop off during DS9 and VOY. It's strange to me now thinking back on it. TNG doesn't seem like something kids would be into. It was often very ponderous and formulaic and it had very little action. I can't really say why I was drawn to it myself, other than I've always liked Sci-fi from as far back as I can remember.

As far as getting kids into Star Trek now, I don't think it's really necessary for the franchise to be successful. As long as their is a diverse cross section of adults in the fan base (boomers to millennials) it doesn't matter if people come to the franchise later.

The most important thing right now is for Star Trek to gain some sense of direction and return to its roots without reliving the past. For that we need a new TV series not these dumbed down Hollywood blockbusters with Star Trek themes.
Old August 11 2014, 10:16 AM   #33
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

The Colonel wrote: View Post
I was born in 1988 and growing up I remember a lot of kids (including me) who were really into TNG and large collections of toys that always sold well.

. TNG doesn't seem like something kids would be into. It was often very ponderous and formulaic and it had very little action. I can't really say why I was drawn to it myself, other than I've always liked Sci-fi from as far back as I can remember.

Lol I started watching it when I was six. I loved star trek from the beginning, wesley crusher was my hero until I was about 8 or so.

I loved star trek toys.

I had
gowron, two worfs and his wife, lore, dianna troy, wesley crusher, a riker toy, possibly a picard etc. Even had a ferringy game.

Granted the toys were low quality action figures I can remember them all falling apart rather quick.

Add to that many of the ones I wanted were hard to find.

But make no mistake I never even hear of star wars until 1996 when they did the re-release. From 93-99 star trek was king for me.
TerraNovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 06:41 AM   #34
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

I look around and see how Trek as a franchise is falling way behind the others. Marvel has two movies a year, a live action series and a couple of animated series, and some Netflix shows coming up. Star Wars is going to have new movie episodes with solo character movies in between and another animated series. Even DC is ramping up its franchise. Trek doing a movie every two or three years shows how far they've fallen. They gotta pick up the pace!
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 04:19 AM   #35
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I'd rather Star Trek be a good movie/TV series than be a "franchise," churning out product after product to be consumed. IMO, Star Trek's biggest problem was that it became a franchise in the first place, churning out crap just to get something out there.
Old August 15 2014, 05:47 AM   #36
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
I look around and see how Trek as a franchise is falling way behind the others. Marvel has two movies a year, a live action series and a couple of animated series, and some Netflix shows coming up. Star Wars is going to have new movie episodes with solo character movies in between and another animated series. Even DC is ramping up its franchise. Trek doing a movie every two or three years shows how far they've fallen. They gotta pick up the pace!
I think they are quickly approaching burnout phase.

They flooded the market with low quality product and are bound for a burnout.

Pop corn flicks are great and all, but they generally have a rather short generational life cycle.
Old August 15 2014, 06:45 AM   #37
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'd rather Star Trek be a good movie/TV series than be a "franchise," churning out product after product to be consumed.
Ummm ... the movies and the TV episodes themselves are products.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 12:09 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I'd rather Star Trek be a good movie/TV series than be a "franchise," churning out product after product to be consumed.
Of course it is all product. But what went on in the late-90's made it feel like McTrek.
Old August 15 2014, 09:03 PM   #39
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BillJ wrote: View Post
Of course it is all product. But what went on in the late-90's made it feel like McTrek.
Exactly. There's a difference between a writer/producer having something to say with the Star Trek universe and a studio throwing a series together just for the sake of throwing something out there.
Old August 17 2014, 10:08 AM   #40
TerraNovan
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Fine dining versus fast food.
Old August 20 2014, 01:29 PM   #41
Tim Walker
Captain

[QUOTE=VST;9931150]

I'm not knocking the show storytelling wise, but TNG is responsible for creating this 'too deep' image, a kind of sci-fi starchiness, because Roddenberry wanted people who aren't flawed - which isn't attractive to us f'd up mere mortals. We want characters to strive, to improve, to show us we *can* do better - if they're already there, that's just a whole lot less interesting.
Eliminating internal conflict makes for poor, or rather, nonexistent drama. Resulting in bland characters and a dull story.

I was actually relieved when DS9 featured 1. flawed characters who 2. were often in conflict with each other. It was almost as if honesty had replaced a facade of perfection. (In real life Communism once had a similar facade). Like a breath of fresh air.

One of my favorite dialogs was in a Trek episode where Odo and Quark are stranded on a planet, and they finally admit to their hatred of each other. Odo was a shape shifter, and Quark was a troll, but they seemed more human than the human characters of TNG.

Trek must have been a stultifying experience for writers and actors, until Roddenberry was off the scene.

Last edited by Tim Walker; August 20 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Tim Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 12:46 PM   #42
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

davidl28 wrote: View Post
Hello--at the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas this weekend; one could not help but notice that we as fans are getting older...

So that leads to the question/comment:

a) How are we going to re-energize the fan base with new/younger fans ?

b) How is it that Star Wars comes out with new animation series such as: Star Wars Rebels (coming out soon) and Clone Wars and gets who new generation of Star Wars fans (kids under the age of 14)....and Star Trek doesn't offer anything similar to that ?

c) Separately at the San Diego Comic Con--I saw many young kids--clamoring around the Hasbro booth and Mattel booth and the Lego booth looking eagerly at new Star Wars toys...and then when I look at new Star Trek merchandise-- I see Star Trek Salt and Pepper shakers, Wall Clock, Doggie bag dispensers, mugs, and expensive costume/prop replicas..while some of those items are neat, Not sure kids can really play/want that kind of stuff...

What's amazing is that Star Wars has far fewer hours of content than Star Trek; but much more appealing consumer goods/products than Star Trek and keeps a vibrant fan base growing with cool toys/things that still fly off the shelf.

I recommend that CBS & Paramount: really consider a new Star Trek cartoon series and coming up with a strategy to incl. merchandising to resurrect a younger set of fans.

Comments ? Who else agrees ?

thanks
Dave
I don't know if this was mentioned before. But leaving trek TV in the hands of CBS is just a terrible idea if you want Trek to move forward. If you want trek to survive this century, somebody has to buy the rights to Star Trek. Because the future of trek is already here, in the form of Star Trek Continues and, Prelude to Axanar.

Why did I say that?

Two reasons: One, it's on the internet. That is the future, I don't know about you guys but I'm 23 years old. I do not want to pay for cable, all the good TV is on HBO anyways, or Netflix. Both can be accessed by my PC, laptop, game console, or my mobile device. So why bother paying for cable? I know I'm not the only one in my generation who thinks this.

Reason two, The best trek to come out in the recent years has been fan made, and paid for by the fans.

In short, the Future of Trek is once again in the hands of the fans.
(Oh god, we're doomed!)
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 03:28 PM   #43
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Cjohnson1701 wrote:
Reason two, The best trek to come out in the recent years has been fan made, and paid for by the fans.
I disagree. I think Prelude to Axanar was great as a 15-minute CG showcase with talking heads, but when they come to do their full 90-minute movie I'm not confident of the results. Their plans to cross over with Phase II fill me with dread. Continues and PII are sometimes fun, but it's painfully obvious that it's amateur fanboys playing dress-up. Some of it is enjoyable, some is downright embarrassing.
Old August 25 2014, 03:34 PM   #44
BigJake
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Cjohnson1701 wrote:
I disagree. I think Prelude to Axanar was great as a 15-minute CG showcase with talking heads, but when they come to do their full 90-minute movie I'm not confident of the results.
Exactly the same kind of targswallop we heard so much of before the release of Prelude. They could add Denzel fracking Washington to the cast and we'd be hearing this stuff.

Last edited by BigJake; August 25 2014 at 03:48 PM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 03:46 PM   #45
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Cjohnson1701 wrote:
I disagree. I think Prelude to Axanar was great as a 15-minute CG showcase with talking heads, but when they come to do their full 90-minute movie I'm not confident of the results.
Exactly the same kind of targswallop we heard so much of before the release of Prelude. They could add Denzel fracking Washington to the cast and we'd be hearing this stuff.
If the story and direction stinks, or he's surrounded by non-actors with speaking roles, Denzel and all the gorgeous CG in the world won't be able to save it.

Hey, I'd love to be wrong, and Axanar be at last a Trek fan film on par with the real thing.