TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 23 2014, 09:31 PM   #1096
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I can't help but wonder if some of it might be TOS purists who are freaking out about the fact that the film looks like its hybridizing stuff from TOS and the JJverse.
Yes there are. One guy in particular on Facebook was seriously affronted that they dare draw on the new movies in any way, shape or form - saying it's inclusion set a bad precedent for fans embracing Abrams-related stuff.

The Axanar people have told me on FB that they're not fans of the new movies (in particular ID), if that helps anyone "deal" with it. Honestly, with the ships, the quick glimpse of a yellow nuTrek uniform, the stardates and the Vengeance crash tribute, I thought they must have been huge fans!
Old August 23 2014, 09:34 PM   #1097
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Don't suppose they have to be fans on the whole to find some elements of them worth drawing on. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

(EDIT: Also, I somehow doubt any great amount of the static is coming from "TOS purists," but let's not get too far down that road.)

Last edited by BigKrampus; August 24 2014 at 02:48 PM.
BigKrampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 11:20 PM   #1098
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

BigJake wrote: View Post
Doesn't seem like a big deal.
We just finished (I hope) a mulit-page argument over the use of the word "bitch."

It seems like the one thing we can agree on is making a big deal.
Old August 23 2014, 11:31 PM   #1099
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
Some people online seem almost eager to see CBS come along and pull the plug on this...
It would've surely happened by now if it was going to happen. I see no reason to disbelieve Alec when he says that CBS have approved it so long as it stays non-commercial.

(As I've said elsewhere, it's a pretty sweet deal for CBS, really. The Axanar team are essentially market-testing -- in a way -- new small-screen Trek for them without CBS having to spend a dime.)

Last edited by BigKrampus; August 23 2014 at 11:46 PM.
BigKrampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 02:29 AM   #1100
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

(As I've said elsewhere, it's a pretty sweet deal for CBS, really. The Axanar team are essentially market-testing -- in a way -- new small-screen Trek for them without CBS having to spend a dime.)
How so? The logistics and rules of making a TV series would be totally different than making a fan film. A one-off fan film won't look anything like a regular TV series, won't have the same time pressures.
Old August 24 2014, 06:31 AM   #1101
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I can't help but wonder if some of it might be TOS purists who are freaking out about the fact that the film looks like its hybridizing stuff from TOS and the JJverse.
Yes there are. One guy in particular on Facebook was seriously affronted that they dare draw on the new movies in any way, shape or form - saying it's inclusion set a bad precedent for fans embracing Abrams-related stuff.

The Axanar people have told me on FB that they're not fans of the new movies (in particular ID), if that helps anyone "deal" with it. Honestly, with the ships, the quick glimpse of a yellow nuTrek uniform, the stardates and the Vengeance crash tribute, I thought they must have been huge fans!
I think I was one of the ones arguing that the ships are ships and it doesn't matter if they came from the film or not, they are Star Trek ships, and have been made to fit in within a time period where there is basically nothing canon when it comes to ships. From the late 2190s to 2245 there were no canon ships known in Starfleet except if one accepts he Kelvin as a canon ship. Then you have a design style to base other ship off until such time as the Constitutions come around in the 2240s.

If you are going to have a war with the Klingons prior to the Constitutions and ships based directly on their design, than you need something to fill in the older ships in the Starfleet. The Kelvin-based designs are as good as any. With them scaled down to TOS sizes and fitted with nacelles similar to the Constitution's, they fit right in as older style ships. Thus avoiding the overly large ships from Star Trek and that nacelles styling, as well as not going into that film's version of the Constitution-class, which seems to be were more people got upset that with the Kelvin-based ships.

Also with 10 hours left in the Kickstarter, they are just over $560,000. Most likely due to a show of support from George Takei.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 08:07 AM   #1102
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant

Would CBS own the rights to the merchandising? For example, could they sell Ares or D6 ship models?
BobtheGunslinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 02:47 PM   #1103
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
How so?
Demand. It's a useful way of gauging demand.
Old August 24 2014, 04:42 PM   #1104
Red Omega
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BobtheGunslinge wrote: View Post
Would CBS own the rights to the merchandising? For example, could they sell Ares or D6 ship models?
Yes they could as those are their own designs. The D6 might be a bit iffy, since it is very close to a D7, but my guess is it would be OK.
Red Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:59 PM   #1105
Bixby
Commander

Bixby wrote: View Post
Their Kickstarter is at about 220 000$ with 11 days to go. A really decent amount but still far from their hoped-for final goal.
Wow... there's but seconds to go and Axanar has almost, alllllllll-most made it to their hoped-for total. Only two minutes left and 638.000$ totalled...

Sincere Congratulations, Alec Peters and crew!!!
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 05:38 PM   #1106
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

I imagine the other donations outside Kickstarter will makeup for the rest before Producion starts.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:44 PM   #1107
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

They topped $657K on Kickstarter. Remarkable.
Old August 24 2014, 07:01 PM   #1108
Borgminister

That's insane! As in crazy good!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 07:24 PM   #1109
Harvey
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
How so?
Demand. It's a useful way of gauging demand.
Not really. The project has 8,548 backers. The "Prelude to Axanar" short has been shared almost 77,000 times, but it is, of course, free to watch.

"Axanar," like other fan films with a large profile ("Renegades," "Phase II," "Continues," etc.) proves what CBS already knows -- that there's a small, but dedicated contingent of hardcore Star Trek fans, many of whom have deep pockets.

None of that speaks to the commercial demand for a Star Trek television series or feature film.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 07:26 PM   #1110
mos6507
Captain

They topped $657K on Kickstarter. Remarkable.
And yet, despite this they've already announced they will have further fundraisers. Where this stops and where the money really winds up in the end is anyone's guess. But it definitely does seem to strain the definition of what constitutes a non-profit fan-film.