Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Rate "Tomorrow Is Yesterday"
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 2 6.25%
5 0 0%
6 4 12.50%
7 3 9.38%
8 13 40.63%
9 7 21.88%
10 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22 2014, 01:44 AM   #16
Push The Button
Captain

Re: Episode of the Week : Tomorrow Is Yesterday

Some favorite lines:

Christopher: I never have believed in little green men.
Spock: Neither have I.
---
Kirk: All right, Colonel. The truth is, I'm a little green man from Alpha Centauri, a beautiful place, you ought to see it.
Felini: I am going to lock you up for two hundred years.
Kirk: That ought to be just about right.
---
Christopher: I never thought I'd make it into space. I was in line to be chosen for the space program, but I didn't qualify.
Kirk: Take a good look around, Captain. You made it here ahead of all of them.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 04:06 AM   #17
scotpens
Vice Admiral

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
Best opening of any episode of TOS.
At 1 minute 20 seconds, I believe it's the shortest pre-credit teaser of any TOS episode. Nobody wanted viewers to think they'd tuned to the wrong channel, or that Star Trek had been pre-empted by some sort of military program!

If only they hadn't added the female computer personality, that part is just embarassing.
Even back in 1967, that "seductive" computer voice made me cringe. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old August 22 2014, 02:32 PM   #18
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Marsden wrote: View Post
I just wonder how it would have been if this could have stayed a 2 parter from Naked Time. I don't think it hurt either episode, but the incidence of being thrown backwards in time started to get used more and more, especially later on. But then with time warping engines that may just be a hazzard.
Bob Justman, who came up with the story outline for this classic show, was asked whether it was connected in any way to "Naked Time", and he was emphatic that it wasn't. He pointed out that it would have been too dangerous to try a two parter given that the episodes were barely making their airdates due to delays in the optical effects. You can read Justman's story outline in Inside Star Trek (Solow and Justman), and there is no reference to a two part episode.

On the other hand, Dave Eversole at the brilliant Unseen Elements of TOS website, has unearthed draft called "Naked Time Part 1". So who knows?

Is this Kyle's first appearance? I have to watch it again.
Yes it is. I always enjoyed his appearances.

scotpens wrote: View Post
If only they hadn't added the female computer personality, that part is just embarassing.
Even back in 1967, that "seductive" computer voice made me cringe. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Justman agreed with you. From one of his memos :

Although the whacked-up Computer Voice is quite amusing by itself, I seriously doubt that it has a value for us in this type of story. The story we are attempting to tell here should be completely credible to our audience. I think, therefore, that this amusing side-play tends to distract from the believability of our tale.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 12:43 AM   #19
Timo
Admiral

But why does it vanish and why only at that point?
Hmm. I think we can claim the "first" Enterprise would always vanish at that point, moments after the tractor beam debacle. Thanks to Scotty getting his act together, the starship would simply outfly the interceptor; the moment's confusion from the second Enterprise interfering and disrupting the original beaming process would make Christopher miss the moment the UFO accelerated out of his sight at those typical hundreds of gees and engaged those famous radar-defeating shields of hers.

So, no instantaneous disappearance as such, just the poor pilot failing to properly comprehend what's happening. Not quite "blink and you miss it", but well within the "shake your head and do three double-takes and you miss it" realm. Note that the audience never got to see what happened to the starship at that point the first time around, as the camera followed indoors action only.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 03:10 AM   #20
Push The Button
Captain

I just watched this episode again tonight. It gets the "Teaser most unlike the actual series it is a part of" award.

Ed Peck, who played Col. Felini in this episode, also played Sheriff ... Kirk in Happy Days.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 05:02 AM   #21
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I'm way in the minority here, b/c it has always been a "meh" for me. Not bad, but not one I'd choose to watch.
Old August 23 2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Timo
Admiral

I guess it's one of those "gimmick" stories, and you either like the gimmick or you don't. There isn't much drama to it all, except the "what to do with your involuntary visitor from the past" bit - and they deliberately gloss over that one. But the gimmick gives the chance to pit Kirk against everyday phenomena (at least by Cold War standards), which probably sounded extremely good to the writers.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 01:22 PM   #23
Marsden
Captain

Well, they got to use current day props and locations and stock footage without yet another "Earthlike" planet.
Old August 23 2014, 02:39 PM   #24
AtoZ
Commander

Great story, great guest stars and a terrific fight scene. I love how Ed Peck plays against Shatner, post-brawl. Some very playful moments; it all adds up to fun.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 08:18 PM   #25
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain

But I like the female computer (and how Kirk is embarrassed)!

Scenes like the one where the Sargent is alone with Lieutenant Kyle are missing in seasons 2 and 3.
Armored Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 03:26 PM   #26
Ithekro
Captain

Given how they played with time in the last TAS episode (with Robert April) and that certain things would cause one to get younger, and as you got youger you lost knowledge. I take it as what happened to the two locals that were beamed back. They restarted at an earlier point an the time stream made them youngers to that point, so they forgot what happened afterwards.

Enterprise and her crew did disappear though.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 03:31 PM   #27
telerites
Lieutenant

I am in the minority I guess. This was not one of my favorites but no where near my least favorite. Ed Peck though is one of my favorites.
telerites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2014, 05:18 PM   #28
HarryM
Fleet Captain

I just rewatched this one again. Probably have seen it a hundred times, but never before noticed the Colonel actually had a name.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2014, 05:49 PM   #29
feek61
Captain

To me it was an episode that did not live up to it's potential. I like the premise but the end where they beam the guys back into themselves while being way out of transporter range was just weak writing, IMO. The female computer thing bugs me but it was cool seeing the F-104 footage. Still, it could have been so much more. I give it an 8
Old September 16 2014, 05:53 PM   #30
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Yes, that's my main problem with it as well (the "beam and forget" solution). Even when I was a kid watching it that whole part didn't make any sense. I gave it an 8 as overall it's quite entertaining.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote