Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Deep Breath"
Scottish! 52 33.33%
Good 74 47.44%
Average 17 10.90%
Bad 8 5.13%
I miss Matt Smith 5 3.21%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 24 2014, 03:38 AM   #31
Aldo
Admiral

Re: 8X01 "Deep Breath" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

I loved it! Even though I was a bit skeptical on Capaldi (I loved the casting, but wasn't sure how he'd pull it off) I can now say I'm 100% sold. I also love the tone, it's still got the humor and the whimsy, but overall it feels like a much more mature show. I'm not sure if that was just for this episode or if it will hold up for the whole series, but I really loved it.

Squiggy wrote: View Post

I do wish they'd get over Victorian London. It's almost like its a crutch at this point.
I prefer it to the RTD years where he set every other story in present day London.
Old August 24 2014, 04:07 AM   #32
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I do wish they'd get over Victorian London. It's almost like its a crutch at this point.
I prefer it to the RTD years where he set every other story in present day London.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's much better than the present day carp RTD did.
!
And how tall was that dinosaur? It looks like it's 300 feet tall!
Old August 24 2014, 04:27 AM   #33
Worf2DS9
Writer

I enjoyed it a lot! Love Capaldi as the Doctor! I liked the Jenny/Vastra banter, but the Strax humour is getting old. Repeated dialogue from past episodes seemed more tired than clever (Jenny/Clara about the Doctor mirrored Jackie/Rose at the beginning of The Christmas Invasion, and Clara's remark about the Doctor redecorating was Ten's line from Day of the Doctor). Can't wait for next week!

As for the opening, I'm okay with the the visuals, but I don't like the high pitch of the new theme arrangement much.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:29 AM   #34
DWF
Vice Admiral

Peter Capaldi was excellent as the new Doctor and generally I don't really like the posternoster gang but they were pretty effective here. I loved seeing Brian Miller as the hobo who's clothes the Doctor stole. And really Matt Smith's wasn't needed, Clara seemed to be getting a handle on the new Doctror til he left on her. The length of the story worked in Capaldi's favor I think it allowedd him to play the part a bit, some of his reactions reminded me of the tV movie. But I do have a better feeling about Capaldi's Doctor than I did about Smith's Doctor. I also loved the line about the scarf being in his past. I also thought the clockwork robots were creepier here than in The Girl In The Fireplace. And we got to meet Missy as well.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:35 AM   #35
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

There was quite a lot of silly humour, at least at the beginning, which was not funny, but annoying. The Doctor falling fast asleep with a *BOING* sound effect, or Strax throwing the newspaper into Clara's face is childish even by Moffat's standarts, and the banter between Madame Vastra and Jenny appears forced instead of witty. Less would have been more.
Also, Moffat's habit to put ideas into an episode without actually doing much with it brings us a dinosaur in Victorian London simply to go up in flames (and to look good in the trailers, I guess).

But apart from these flaws at the start, the episode was quite good, the characterization of Capaldi's Doctor is promising, and the plot was actually good, and also had some depth to it, with many of the philosophical questions the Doctor throws at the robot villain applying to himself as well.

All in all, a good start for the new Doctor.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:42 AM   #36
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I thought it was good. It had some problems, but overall I enjoyed it. I really like Vastra and friends, so it was great to see her. The villain was interesting, and I liked the "no breathing" thing. I liked The Doctor, and I thought he had some great lines, both when he was normal and when he was crazy.

I think the story did feel long. It probably would have worked better as a standard sized episode. Clara's reaction to the regeneration also felt a bit weird. I thought the intro looked cool, but the new version of the theme wasn't very good. As for the ending, I liked the Matt Smith cameo, and The Doctor telling Clara that he's still the person she knew. I'm not sure what to think of "Missy" though, and I can't decide if I want her to be a female version of The Master (unlikely, but possible) or not.

Overall, I think it was a good beginning. A bit too flawed to be excellent, but a good start for a new Doctor.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:45 AM   #37
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Now that was more like it.

-Thank God for Peter Capaldi! I love that face! It's like someone took Hartnell and Troughton and cloned them! I haven't liked a Doctor this much since Eccleston!

-When are Vastra and Jenny getting their own spinoff? I'm serious.

-Love the new opening!

-Still not super in love with Clara.

Will keep watching...
I was thinking this all throughout the episode. We need a Vastra/Jenny/Strax spin off, pronto. I love those characters, especially the scenes with Strax and Clara.

That was a decent episode. I didn't really like the motivations of the robots, or maybe I was confused by it. They wanted to get to a promise land and harvested human parts to make their ship fly to do so? I thought it could have been a lot clearer than it was. I did like the gimmick of the cyborgs not harming you when you're not breathing though. Yeah it's like Don't Blink, but I still liked it.

The best moments of this episode were the character moments. You've got Strax with comic relief, and then there was Clara, having to adapt to this new old guy and not the Doctor she was used to. I was really surprised by the Matt Smith cameo, and that scene might have been the best scene of the episode. It was a way to help her, and I think the audience, get used to this new Doctor and make that transition better. It seemed like Doctor Who in the States got more popular in the Matt Smith Era (You now have pre and post shows with Chris Hardwick for one) so maybe this was to make the US fans happy and I appreciated it.

It wasn't excellent, but it was very very good. I'm looking forward to Capaldi growing in the role, and I liked him here, other than the scene with him pretty much scaring the older gentlemen in the Ally. Once he actually "became" the Doctor, it reminded me of when Smith put on the outfit and just took control. Can't wait to see Capaldi do the same as the season goes on.
Old August 24 2014, 04:49 AM   #38
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

This was a pretty decent season premier but it did remind a lot of "The Christmas Invasion".
Old August 24 2014, 05:01 AM   #39
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
It seemed like Doctor Who in the States got more popular in the Matt Smith Era (You now have pre and post shows with Chris Hardwick for one) so maybe this was to make the US fans happy and I appreciated it.
I was under the impression that it was popular in the US when Tom Baker was the Doctor, unless you're referring to the continuation. In that case, I was under the impression that anyone with access to the internet or BBC America was watching Doctor Who when Eccleston took on the role.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 05:05 AM   #40
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
SJSharksfan39 wrote: View Post
It seemed like Doctor Who in the States got more popular in the Matt Smith Era (You now have pre and post shows with Chris Hardwick for one) so maybe this was to make the US fans happy and I appreciated it.
I was under the impression that it was popular in the US when Tom Baker was the Doctor, unless you're referring to the continuation. In that case, I was under the impression that anyone with access to the internet or BBC America was watching Doctor Who when Eccleston took on the role.
First of all, the Eccleston and some of Tennant's era were on Sci Fi. Secondly, I don't remember them getting as much publicity as Matt Smith did. Yeah people have been watching, but it seems like the show grew in popularity at the later stages of Smith's run, at least from a media and promotion standpoint.
Old August 24 2014, 05:10 AM   #41
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

In 2005 you could really stream television online yet and BBC America wasn't widely available.
Old August 24 2014, 05:40 AM   #42
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post

It was quite popular among fandom, much like Trek fandom in the 70's, and Firefly and MLP fandom is today. Is wasn't until Matt arrived that the BBC and BBCA decided to start actively working to promote the show and expand viewership and make the program more mainstream outside the UK.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; August 24 2014 at 06:34 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 06:05 AM   #43
Yowie Giblets
Vice Admiral

View Yowie Giblets's Twitter Profile

Just watching (again). The scene where the Doctor talks about his face and being Scottish, it just gets more wonderful the more you watch it. I wonder if the reason behind it will become obvious later.
Old August 24 2014, 06:15 AM   #44
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Why was he excited about being Scottish when he is from Gallifrey and isn't even human? Confusing.
Old August 24 2014, 06:24 AM   #45
Aldo
Admiral

Mitty wrote: View Post
Just watching (again). The scene where the Doctor talks about his face and being Scottish, it just gets more wonderful the more you watch it. I wonder if the reason behind it will become obvious later.
We did hear some talk from Moffat that Capaldi's Doctor is going to be tied into the two appearances that Capaldi made in the past in this universe (one on Doctor Who and one on Torchwood). It's been my theory that it will turn out both of those characters were the Doctor keeping and eye on things...or at least the cameo in the Pompeii episode will be the Doctor (I haven't seen Capaldi in Torchwood, so I'm not sure if that would be easily explainable as the Doctor).