RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,606
Posts: 5,425,422
Members: 24,807
Currently online: 587
Newest member: Dixonn

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 22 2014, 02:56 PM   #106
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Marsden wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
or that Vaseline is smeared on the lens. Not so.
Only LandSpeeders, right?
I thought that effect was done by putting reflective sheeting around the wheels of the landspeeder. Although I guess there was that one shot where the underside was blurred or animated out in post-production.


erastus25 wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Not to get too deep or anything, but this discussion makes me again wonder just how all the history we've learned since childhood can possibly be considered accurate, when something like the story of Janice Rand cannot be determined with absolute certainty, and that was only a half-century ago, and many people involved survive to this day.
Yeah...it's crazy to think about stuff like that. Especially when you throw in how altered an individual's memories can be from reality as the years pass. And yet, I see people on this board claiming they remember very specific conversations, word for word, from 30 or even 40 years ago, and get indignant if you point out the recollection may be slightly faulty. hhhmmm...
One of the first things students of history are taught is never to trust any single source, even a firsthand account, as entirely trustworthy. Memories are fallible and every observer is biased; even a photographic record of an event can be biased and distorted by what the photographer chooses to focus on or to exclude from the frame. So all we can do is document what people have said about an event, consider it in light of their biases, and seek multiple sources to get different perspectives on an event and try to put it in context. It's an accepted reality that we can't ever have perfect objective knowledge of what really happened. After all, "history" means "story." History is not a record of the past, it's a record of what people in the past said or wrote about their experiences.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 08:01 PM   #107
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Marsden wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
or that Vaseline is smeared on the lens. Not so.
Only LandSpeeders, right?


I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but regarding production order, what if Spock's Brain happened before The Menagerie?

Would Spock have taken Pike to be the new controller? He'd be doing things, his brain is still good. Oh, well.


I don't know why I think of such things.
They chose Spock's brain out of the 400 on the Enterprise for a reason.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:21 PM   #108
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

If I may pose a question, is there a reason I never seem to read here about anyone making it a point to watch the other Trek series in production order? It's just pure curiosity...
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:22 PM   #109
EnriqueH
Commander
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Forgive my ignorance, but...I thought they were listed in production order?

I went through a TNG viewing marathon some years back and watched them in the order of the DVD discs.

Was that a mistake?
__________________
A crew of a thousand 10 miles tall...
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:28 PM   #110
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

In the case of TOS, the difference between production order and airing order is much greater than in the later shows. The episodes were made to be aired in any order, so there was little continuity among them. And in the later shows, if there was a difference, it was usually for scheduling reasons and there was a clear intent for the stories to take place in broadcast order (for instance, "Symbiosis" being filmed after "Skin of Evil" or "Unification Part I" being filmed after "Unification Part II"). There are a few instances where I prefer production order for the later shows, but usually -- in those rare cases where they differ at all -- airdate order is clearly preferable.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:30 PM   #111
EnriqueH
Commander
 
EnriqueH's Avatar
 
Location: Miami
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Christopher wrote: View Post
In the case of TOS, the difference between production order and airing order is much greater than in the later shows. The episodes were made to be aired in any order, so there was little continuity among them. And in the later shows, if there was a difference, it was usually for scheduling reasons and there was a clear intent for the stories to take place in broadcast order (for instance, "Symbiosis" being filmed after "Skin of Evil" or "Unification Part I" being filmed after "Unification Part II"). There are a few instances where I prefer production order for the later shows, but usually -- in those rare cases where they differ at all -- airdate order is clearly preferable.
So, to clarify: it's better to watch TNG, DS9, etc. in the order presented in the DVDs?
__________________
A crew of a thousand 10 miles tall...
EnriqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:31 PM   #112
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

That's an interesting distinction, Christopher. Thanks!

I figured it might be something like that, but I wasn't knowledgeable enough about the production of the later series to be sure.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2014, 11:43 PM   #113
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
So, to clarify: it's better to watch TNG, DS9, etc. in the order presented in the DVDs?
I think so, yes, as a rule.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 01:50 AM   #114
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Ithekro wrote: View Post
It seems like Grace was leaving before they had even started to broadcast the show.
The memo terminating Whitney was sent on September 8, 1966, the same day "The Man Trap" marked Star Trek's debut, so this isn't far from the truth.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 02:07 AM   #115
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Christopher wrote: View Post
...Jerry Finnerman, was trained by the generation of cinematographers that had honed their craft in the age of black-and-white movies and film noir, which is why TOS makes such heavy use of patterns of light and shadow.
Also, because the show was going to be seen on a lot of black and white sets, so shooting with gobos/cookies and dramatic lighting helped make the show look good in b&w as well as color.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 02:14 AM   #116
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Christopher wrote: View Post
In the case of TOS, the difference between production order and airing order is much greater than in the later shows. The episodes were made to be aired in any order, so there was little continuity among them. And in the later shows, if there was a difference, it was usually for scheduling reasons and there was a clear intent for the stories to take place in broadcast order (for instance, "Symbiosis" being filmed after "Skin of Evil" or "Unification Part I" being filmed after "Unification Part II"). There are a few instances where I prefer production order for the later shows, but usually -- in those rare cases where they differ at all -- airdate order is clearly preferable.
There are occasions near the start of the second season of VOY where the continuity matches up a little better in production order (I mean, this is VOY, so there isn't a *lot* of continuity, but what there is matches better in production order). But as you say, by and large in the later shows they were more careful to make sure the episodes could air in any order at all.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 03:02 AM   #117
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Lance wrote: View Post
But as you say, by and large in the later shows they were more careful to make sure the episodes could air in any order at all.
No, that's the opposite of what I said. It was the original series that was designed to air in any order, because that was the standard for 1960s-70s television. By the later shows, there was more continuity and it was standard for shows to be aired in production order unless there was a specific scheduling reason to make an exception.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 03:19 AM   #118
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Not to get too deep or anything, but this discussion makes me again wonder just how all the history we've learned since childhood can possibly be considered accurate, when something like the story of Janice Rand cannot be determined with absolute certainty, and that was only a half-century ago, and many people involved survive to this day.
"History is bunk."
- Henry Ford
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 04:03 AM   #119
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
In the case of TOS, the difference between production order and airing order is much greater than in the later shows. The episodes were made to be aired in any order, so there was little continuity among them. And in the later shows, if there was a difference, it was usually for scheduling reasons and there was a clear intent for the stories to take place in broadcast order (for instance, "Symbiosis" being filmed after "Skin of Evil" or "Unification Part I" being filmed after "Unification Part II"). There are a few instances where I prefer production order for the later shows, but usually -- in those rare cases where they differ at all -- airdate order is clearly preferable.
So, to clarify: it's better to watch TNG, DS9, etc. in the order presented in the DVDs?
After the first season, the episodes are mostly aired in production order anyway. But if you're really insistent on production order, then you'll, as Christopher mentioned, see Yar magically come back to life following "Skin of Evil," and "Unification II" before "Unification I." IIRC, the old videotape releases were in production order with the exception, I would think, of "Unification."

Incidentally -- and you may know this already -- since "Symbiosis" was Denise Crosby's real last episode, the last time we see her, behind Picard's back, she's waving goodbye to the camera.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 11:31 AM   #120
Green Shirt
Commodore
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: 21133
Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but...I thought they were listed in production order?

I went through a TNG viewing marathon some years back and watched them in the order of the DVD discs.

Was that a mistake?
Watching Trek is never a mistake.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.