Ancient Aliens

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by BillJ, Jun 19, 2012.

1. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, but how much of a civilization can you build up when you have 1/10th of the metals of Earth? Which is roughly what you're looking at with a planet system orbiting a population II star.

Also, is it just me, or this guy a Centauri? He looks like Vir's younger, stoner brother.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Many people have made that comparison already. :p

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

[​IMG]

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't know who the top guy is but Londo is one of the greats of television sci fi of all time, along with G'Kar of course.

5. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

"Bro, that G'Kar dude is gnarly!"

6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly right. The amount of time we've been creating transmissions is extremely short. Just 50 years ago, we were preparing to send the first man into orbit. Our "footprint" in the cosmos is next to nothing. We are situated on the periphery of the Milky Way Galaxy. There's no plausible reason for anyone to travel a vast distance to our solar system, unless they sent probes out many hundreds or thousands of years ago and found our planet habitable enough for their purposes to come for visitation and/or colonization some time in the future.

Our imaginations are adept at creating ideas that go way outside the boundaries of plausibility. The biggest hurdle to face is the energy problem. The energy required to get to FTL and then slow down to a stop is immense. Much greater than we could ever hope to see accommodated in our lifetimes and even the next several hundred. But even if solved, the distance to travel here, let's say from near the core of our galaxy, is way too vast for any alien race to bother. Even if a civilization developed a wormhole technology, some way to fold space so distance would not be a problem, there's still the matter of a very sparsely populated region of solar systems with planets worth visiting.

Just as primitive human beings thought the universe revolved around the Earth, so do many people today still believe we have a jewel of a planet that any alien civilization should want to come visit, and that they can. The sad truth is that we're too insignificant and far away to be worth visiting. In all likelihood, the human race will eventually die out someday, alone in the icy cold of space. The only thing we will probably achieve is to record bits and pieces of our lives and send them off on a probe into deep space in hopes that someday it'll be discovered and our presence in the universe will be remembered.

7. Lonemagpie

He's the main presenter of Ancient Aliens on the History Channel, and yes, his hair is really like that. He also publishes a UFO/ancient aliens magazine.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Probably making a ton of money off of rubes.

9. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He can't be related to Londo, Mollari would have him killed or sent to some far off penal colony.

10. Lonemagpie

A distant penal colony called Earth...?

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

In fact Occam's Razor works for the existence of aliens, mainly because the most simple explanation (which Fermi and his gang also concluded...you know, the actual experts, not you dummies:techman:) is that aliens SHOULD exist and in great numbers..every fact we have discovered since then only makes it more likely...but then of course the paradox is what we were discussing.

RAMA

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I have heard scientists say that our solar system is in the galactic Goldilocks zone. If I remember right, it's like what we have now in our system - a cold zone, a hot zone, and a habitable zone.

Our system is not in a fixed location - it's orbiting the galactic core. I wonder if our orbit will bring us closer to an inhabited system in the future. Of course, this would be a long time into the future.

14. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I myseld enjoy the show, I've bought all the DVD's out there that I can, Target's a great place to get them.

And I am a firm believer in the anicent alien theory, that we were visited long ago by aliens and that we have been influenced by them, hell, "Who mourns for Adonis" from Trek hints at that as well. And from my own studies, many, many cultures, ranging from the Mayans, Native Americans, the Dogon of Africa, the Hindu.....they talk about this, even today. Many of my Native American and Hindu friends talk about this with me.

I mean we go from living in caves, eating banans and picking lice off each other, and then we go to building huge, meholithic structures, and those involve cutting out these massive pieces of rock, weighing up to 1,000 tons in some cases, and then moving these rocks to the building site, some of these cultures not even having invented the wheel yet..and then lifting up and precisely fitting them into position so well that you can't even stick a hair between the cracks. And engineers and arcticects have no idea how this was done, long ago, and can't even do this themselves. And it seems to me, that the average Mayan had more knowledge about mathematics, astronomy and so than what would be today's 'educated man'. Same with us going from horse and buggy to computers the size of a match book in like under 150 years...something does not feel right.

I think it should be talked about more openly, and without ridicule here in the western world....you talk about this to the folks in the east and they go, "mmmhmmm, tell me something I don't know". Mainstream media over here in the western world rarely ever covers this sort of topic, and if they do, it's often treated as something "cute" and having the X-files theme playing, or whatever, and having the achors giggeling, like it's a movie of the week.....yet the same folks are just fine talking about some overrated celebrity's domestic problems, whatever Obama and Romney are calling each other, or Lindsey Lohan's lastest arrest as if it's really meaningful stuff to talk about.

And to me, there's 3 stages regarding controversial issues, like this and they are
    1: Denial
    2: Opposition and attacks
    3: Acceptance.
    I mean when Galileo said the earth went around the sun, the authorities had him arrested...and would not even bother to look into the telescope when he offered them to, they were SOOOOOO confident (arrogant more like it) to do so. And the poor guy was unde house arrest. Same hostility is made towards ideas that can change everything, especially if the theory has a good chance of being proven right.

And personally, this will irk some people, but I got no problem with the fellow on the show with the funky hair I like his work....hell, Einstein needed a a better barber, I think, and ya got Obama kissing the ass of that NASA guy with a mohawk.....so it's no different.

And keep in mind that our solar system is very young in this part of the galaxy, and all the others are much older, and it's very possible that there's civilizations out there with millions, if not billions, of years ahead of us. To them they cold have technology we could only begin to imagine....and that faster than light travel is normal thing for them, now. Just becayse WE can't do it yer, does not mean they can't...that's a big example of human arrogance that's equel to us being the only intelligent life in the universe, as well as the idea of them landing on the White House lawn....and like nay sayers posting silly pictures with cheesy captions of the propenents of pretty much anything remotely paranormal. Hell, there antiques could make our most advanced stuff look like prehistoric junk.

I'd love to discuss this with other folks on this board who do believe this, I'll gladly give them my YIM screen name and we can talk about it. :)

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I applaud your use of Star Trek as evidence ancient aliens existed.

16. The Castellan

And I applaud that's all you seem to focus on from my post. Amazing how Trek fans really don't like the concept of aliens in any way, shape or form, unless it's some actor in a rubber mask or something.

All I said was that the ideas of humanity being influenced by aliens in the past was in it, since Trek had these ideas wanted to be expressed...from bigotry to warfare....same idea. I've read science fiction where the authors strongly expressed such ideas. Science fiction's a good median to do so....I mean stuff regarding Veitnam was a big no-no for TV in the 60's yet science fiction like Trek allowed the issue to be spoken of, even if it's regarding a fictious setting and time.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Why do most of these arguments for ancient aliens boil down to "I'm too lazy to do that pyramid shit, therefore ancient man must have been too lazy, hence aliens"?

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    So ancient aliens had nothing to do but come here and move rocks for a bunch of stone age tribes?

19. The Castellan

Well, why are we not building megolithic structures now? And how come we can't do something folks did many thousands of years ago? There's no real scroll, tablet or anything that tells how they did it. And them going, "Let's build something as difficult as possible....and with mere copper tools and so on". I myself really want to know how stones 100's of tons in size were cut, moved, lifted and fitted so precisely. The Naysayers need to give 100% proof as well....they want 100% proof regarding aliens...it's a two way thing.

Why do many cultures speak of men from the stars (Sirius is mentioned quite a lot)? They were not idiots, you know.

Trek fans especially seem very, very uncomfortable with the idea with the idea of ancient aliens, or just aliens in general.....it's like if there's a remote possibility that there's something out there that could be like what they see on the tv screne could be happening, it really annoys them....and I have no clue as to why.

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Empiricism is a bitch.