USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm... might be worth a shot.

2. the citizen

the citizen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know VEKTOR... I love the lite blue on the secondary deflector. Actually I was thinking of more lavendar-blue myself, as also with the warp coils on the nacelles. It has a more grand effect, I think. I am one of the few who is not fond of the Ent-E on a number of things, and that was one of them.

3. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

VECTOR, I 'm curious as to what sort of texturing you are planning on. Will it be the "traditonal" aztec type paneling, or something different? After staring at these incredible images, I'm thinking it would look great painted smooth, like TOS. (ofcourse, with all sorts of little markings and pinstripes). Those smooth curves and joints really stand out in the clean form you have now.

Hate to keep repeating myself, but, simply awsome work.

4. Vektor

I'm really not sure what the plan is. I have a few preliminary ideas but I'm probably going to rely heavily on The Citizen for the textured appearance of the ship. He can probably give you a better answer at this point than I can.

5. the citizen

You've made a nice point that I happened to be contemplating the past few months, judexavier. I love both styles when done right. But lighting, proper texturing, and bump-maps can also make or break the look of your model as well. We'll probably show both styles when we get to that stage of the game, but that's my semi-techno response for today.

6. Vektor

Well, here's what the amber deflectors look like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I must say, I like it better than I thought I would, but I'm not committing to anything.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

hmmmm nahhh looks better if they were blue to me but severly awsome 3d renders though :)

8. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps, as with Enterprise in TMP, the deflector color changes depending on whether the ship is at warp.

9. Kaiser

Well if thats the case here too then id go with that color then :)

10. the citizen

Yes, definantly the blue.

aridas sofia - I agree about the color change too... I'm thinking the general color needs to be blue-lavendar, but while at warp, the color shifts to the blue side, but more white-hot blue the higher the the warp factor gets. THAT... would be cool!!

11. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about the E-D's orange/amber and blue mix?

12. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

Pretty much the same thing I posted on the Scifi art board I agree with most people that it needs to stay blue or even as the Commander said a lavender-blue.

Thanks for showing us what it could be.

13. Vektor

Okay, okay, blue it is. Here's a further refinement to the hue:

[​IMG]

This one works for me.

14. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Bloody heck, that's a gorgeous shot right there! :drool: :drool:

Cheers,
    -CM-

15. Kaiser

:eek::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

.....cant......wait....for....more

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Personally I think the secondary deflector looks better in yellow...but it just doesn't suit the primary's design at all. I suppose it'd look off if you mixed and matched. Oh well. ;)

17. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, Jason... how many times have you started over on this thing? :D

Seriously, I always love seeing your work... you've got talent. I only hope that whatever it is you do for "real life" pays a LOT more than working in Hollywood does... because that's the only excuse for you not doing this sort of thing for the movies!

I do keep going back to a saying oft-used in my profession, though... "sometimes you get to a point where it's time to just shoot the engineer!"

Translation: the guy doing the work want's to get it PERFECT, and since that's impossible, you eventually have to just say "the hell with it, it's close enough" and move on with things!

So, how long til it's time for you to just shoot yourself and get on with it? ;-)

18. AudioBridge

AudioBridge Captain Captain

Ho...lee...crap. :eek: Vektor, this is one cool ship.

19. Vektor

Actually, the last time I "started over" was well over a year ago. Since then, this ship has been on a fairly steady progression towards completion. The problem is, I only get to work on it a couple hours a week, sometimes more, frequently less. I have also run into several situations where I knew what I wanted to do but I didn't know how to achieve it with the software and I would have to go off and teach myself a whole new approach or set of techniques. This project has been as much a learning experience as an end in itself.

I'm not redesigning it anymore. I haven't worked out every detail of every square inch of hull, but I'm not going back at this point to totally rebuild major parts of it either.

20. the citizen

You know, every version could stand alone as a sub-class of this ship! They all had merit, Vektor! I will attest to that, although most in here would say... who's that guy? LOL

:techman:Seriously though, I admire your tenacity at sticking with it! Thanks!