Cumberbatch talks John Harrison [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 12, 2012.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

With his bare hands, unless I'm completely misremembering.

2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

It's Mr Kyle! I knew it!

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, after doing that deep breath, meditation thing.

4. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And he was in STII:TWOK! You're on to something here... :vulcan:

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

We'd seen Khan do that once or twice previously, and also seen similar gestures made by his followers upon their release from suspended animation. I don't see it as being indicative of any mental powers, though; seems more the sort of thing an athlete or acrobat or martial artist might do in preparation before performing a feat of strength or skill - a quick discipline to focus or center the concentration.

6. KirkianLogic

KirkianLogic Ensign Newbie

Yes, but how do we know it wasn't some form of kinetics or something? Nothing was explained to us back then about why he seemed to be able to open a door without applying any perceptible PHYSICAL force. He sure didn't push or pull it lol. So I think this is open to speculation.

To me, Khan had plenty of mental powers. Not only was he able to seduce certin kinds of people to join him, he was also able to manipulate objects without using physical force. Not to the extent that Mitchell could do once he became youknowwho, but still to some extent.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was how I always saw it. I never thought it was any indication of mental powers.
    I don't even think Harrison will have mental powers. Just eloquence & high intelligence.

8. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Then again, both Kahn and Mitchell could be ruled out. The "having a touch of shadow" could mean he is an agent - which means it could be GARY SEVEN (or his south-of-the-border, non-union counterpart, Geraldo Ocho).

9. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Though Paramount's official synopsis has the villian described as a "one person weapon of mass destruction." And Simon Pegg in an interview stated the character was a mix of "enemy" and "ally" and that it was an "enemy within" sort of theme as humans have elements of both light and darkness. That looks to equate more to a Gary Mitchell than a Kahn.

Also of note, there is a Gary 7 in the credits on the IMDB.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013