The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed. Not to mention Carol points out Axl and Oscar weren't like Tomas. Rick responds: "Yeah, and where's Oscar now?"

Um, Rick? He's dead alright - giving his life for the group. I'd say he proved himself pretty damn well as being trustworthy.

Ugh, no thanks. No explanations and definitely no cure, please.

2. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly, Rick said he couldn't be responsible. I think that Rick is no longer denying people entry into the group because he doesn't trust them, he's doing it because he blames himself for every death and doesn't want to be responsible for any more.

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

That would fit with the Ghost!Lori too. Hmm, acceptable I suppose for now.

What I'm hoping this leads to is

Hershel and... maybe Darryl upon return?... Or Maggie or Glen?... or Tyrese after proving himself to the others?... convincing Rick he can't handle it alone and forming a "leadership team" of sorts like IIRC they did for awhile in the comics.

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

^^That explanation does seem more likely. The burden of leadership is getting to Rick.

Frankly, I'd rather watch Walking Dead evolve into a show about a community trying to rebuild than watch endless cycles of the living fighting each other and the core characters moving to a new "safe haven" every season.

Maybe it's realistic to think that humans would be ridiculously paranoid and untrusting of each other, but the only way humans are going to avoid extinction is if they rebuild communities. We don't need to see more flashbacks or explanations for the how and why of the apocalypse, but I for one want to see some activity towards rebuilding civilization in the show.

5. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Beyond the Death of Lori Berserk, this is the first time the group has really seen Rick lose it, is it not? I count zombie rampage death + telephone delusions as one event.

He does not want to be responsible for more people. That is how I took his comment about Oscar. Oscar came in. Oscar went out and Rick is carrying guilt over every passing.

The Rick of last season seemed very willing to help others out. The fear of loss is shaping him.

I liked the flip flop. Last season Rick wanted sanctuary and Herschel did not want to add to his group. Now Herschel wants to let people in and Rick is closing them off.

I liked Carol's comparison of her abusive relationship with her husband to that of Darly and Merle. I always thought of Merle as abusive toward Daryl.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair, the last time Rick let outsiders into the group, it resulted in the death of his wife. So I can understand his reluctance this time around.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Very true.

9. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Can someone please kill Carl? He's annoying and I want to see Rick get even more crazy, then someone can put a bullet in his brain, Tyrese takes over as leader, they find Daryl and he rejoins the group. Oh, and get rid of Andrea and Michonne (both great character in the comics that suck on the show) in the season finale, thank you show!

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do you find him annoying? He's growing up fast, in situations beyond his control.

I'm no fan of Rick's delusions either, but he's still the straight man in a warped world. Other associates had/have serious flaws:

• Shane was a jealous murderer.
    • Dale was a hyper-annoying lefty whiner obsessed with Andrea.
    • Merle--'nuff said.
    • Carol's husband--'nuff said.
    • Andrea was an asshole.
    Daryl may be an effective second in command/organizer, but he still has standoff issues with Carol, and is too trusting of his "blood," Merle, when he knows Merle is abusive, and has no interest in being a part of the group. That character flaw makes him unfit to be absoulte leader, and after the farm's destruction, Hershel is more comfortable acting as advisor.

[qoute]Tyrese takes over as leader, they find Daryl and he rejoins the group. Oh, and get rid of Andrea and Michonne (both great character in the comics that suck on the show) in the season finale, thank you show![/QUOTE]

Michonne is due another sword massacre, and right now, keeping her as bomb waiting to explode / slight hurt issues over being rejected is where she will stay..unless the next eposide is the time for her to shine...

11. davejames

Yeah I don't completely buy Rick's delusions either, but the idea is a cool enough one-- with the impact it's having on the larger story and the other characters-- that I can kind of roll with it.

It's much more interesting and compelling to have Rick go up against the Governor when he's not on his 'A' game, than if it was just normal, sane, badass Rick going up against him (because let's face it, the Governor wouldn't stand a chance against that guy).

12. Takeru

Because of the stupid hat.:klingon: He has become better this season but my Carl hate built up over two years, it's hard to let go and after Lori is gone he's at the top of my kill list ... wait, that's not true, I hate Andrea more, kill her first.

You didn't have to list the flaws of the others, it's not like I want anyone of them as the leader, that's why I picked Tyrese.:rommie:
    Of Rick's group the only members I genuinely like are Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Hershel and Carol (which surprises me, because for the first two seasons I didn't care for her that much although I always liked the actress), everyone else can go, add Tyrese, the father and son from the pilot and a few others and start over. I'm willing to give Michonne another chance, I'm just really disappointed that they don't seem to do much with her. Why did they introduce a fan favorite from the comics and then treat her like T-Dog? It feels like she's just the next black person who is on screen so that AMC can claim they have a diverse cast while all lines go to the white people.:rolleyes:

13. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

So you want to watch Hershel, Glenn, Maggie, Carol and Beth (along with with a baby) fight zombies? And why would Daryl follow Tyrese? Why would Tyrese want Daryl?

14. Takeru

Them and a few new characters and Tyrese would want Daryl because the group tells him Daryl's in if he wants to. A leader is not the same as a dictator who decides everything by himself, f**k Rick.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rick had to take charge. Without him making the tough decisions, its everyone going off in different directions--including resources, basic protection, etc. Would you prefer someone who will not make the hard, but fair/logical decisions? Daryl's not that guy, and the jury is still out on TV-Tyrese.

How about Shane in his place, or the Gov? Talk about inmates running the asylum...

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? I found Carl annoying in the first two seasons but this season he's aligning more with the Carl from the comics.

I'm glad this show is back. I liked the episode, loved Daryl grabbing the crossbow and Tyreese and Sasha grabbing the tools. Although part of me would liked to have seen the two guys take on Carl :devil:

It does suck that Daryl left but it's understandable.

in the comics a lot of people left and came back so I wasn't too surprised.

The people in Woodbury are annoying. Are they really that sheltered that they want to go outside? I know Rick etc think they're outnumbered but it's only a handful they have to worry about.

I agree with above posters who are frustrated with Michionne's character. I like mysterious characters when there's a good reason for it, but you'd think they could actually write a conversation for her.

Andrea seemed a bit more normal this episode. At least she was angry that the Governor kept the truth from her.

17. davejames

So what, our main characters must always be perfect and likeable and do the right thing? Even while surviving the zombie apocalypse and losing the people they love??

I just don't understand this attitude people have. I fully expect and WANT the characters to do daring and controversial things on this show, and to be unlikeable at times.

18. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

and Andrea didn't know what we knew. She probably still doesn't know as much as we know.

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with Rick? He's not doing what he's doing out of malice. He's having a mental break because of his feelings of guilt over Lori, Shane, Carl, and everyone. It's only been a week since Lori died. I don't understand disliking the character for it. Lincoln conveys the character's suffering quite genuinely IMO.

The group would have disintegrated by now were it nor for him, and what could he do? Kidnap Daryl and force him back to the group? Rick and Daryl's motivations and the reasons for their behavior don't come across as dictatorial or selfish in any way. Quite the opposite. Yes, Tyrese will be an asset. Rick will see that in time.

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The passage of time on the show has always been confusing to me. For example in season 2 Carl gets shot and then two episodes later he's on his feet recovered. :wtf: So presumably they were on the farm for quite some time between those two episodes and this complete recovery.

Yet, this season they're elongating 1 week over several episodes.

I understand people's frustration and confusion over Rick's mental break down because it seems as though it's occurring over a much longer period of time.