The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Just scored an extra light-up saber Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at Target. Most of their current Star Wars 3.75" action figures are on markdown they had put out a case of the light-up Movie Heroes wave in the past day or so.

Solid figures. Quite frankly they have two of the best Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor heads ever sculpted in this scale, which help offset the bulkier bodies that contain the batteries and circuits for their lightsabers.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

3. cooleddie74

4. OdoWanKenobi

McFarlane was king of the world in the 90s. Now they mostly just churn out subpar stuff.

5. cooleddie74

They're not as good as they once were, that's for sure. Their Walking Dead line has flaws but on balance the figures are pretty nice. I think it's very cool we're getting the Governor and Penny his daughter.

I wonder if the Governor will come with "glass shard in eye" action? :devil:

6. cooleddie74

About two weeks left to go until the New York Toy Fair kicks off! We should commence a countdown....I hope some very cool news about our favorite franchises gets unveiled up there because the current state of a couple of them feels downright anemic.

With a brand new line of SW figures delayed until some time much later this year and the first waves of 2013 Clone Wars and Movie Heroes having an as-yet-undetermined release date in the United States and the rest of North America the Star Wars line might have a slow first few months of the new year until things start to get rolling. I hope the Hasbro people have something really terrific up their sleeve and not just a display full of Fighter Pods and SW Angry Birds for people to grumble over.

There's news of a special, $35 price range Deluxe 12" figure where you can transform Anakin into Darth Vader and it supposedly won a prize at the UK Toy Fair. That'd be kinda cool, but the line needs more than one deluxe 12" figure and a handful of subpar, poorly articulated 12" characters to keep excitement going until the new 3.75" figure line debuts.

7. OdoWanKenobi

I'm looking forward to:
    More news on 2013's Club Infinite Earths, and hopefully some new stuff from DC Unlimited
    Man of Steel Movie Masters
    Info on Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Wolverine toys.

8. cooleddie74

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

As mentioned when I first brought up Toy Fair, I am excited to perhaps see reveals of the aforementioned MOS Movie Masters, a peak at the "Star Trek: Into Darkness" line, along with whatever DC Collectables (formerly DC Direct) has planned. As well as Marvel Legends.

Fox didn't do a "X-Men: First Class" line...I am curious if we will get a "The Wolverine" line. This came up a lot in the First Class news thread, and I don't remember if we had a consensus as to why there was no toys. I think Fox lost the license or something after "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Perhaps they have it back. I guess we'll find out. Either way I'm excited to see what's revealed :)

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If there's going to be one. With Star Trek XI, we knew there was going to be a line of figures, role play accessories, and ships from Playmates well in advance, but ever since Hasbro acquired the license, the only news is that they intend to have something for their (wannabe Lego) Kre-O line and that Mattel will feature two new ships from the movie for their Hot Wheels line.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that was one of my concerns when Hasbro got the rights...but I would still be shocked if we didn't get an action figure line for Into Darkness. They'd probably piss a lot of fans off if they didn't do one.

I'm excited to finally get a reveal of the Hot Wheels as well.

12. cooleddie74

There is some news circulating that there might not be a Hasbro 3.75" line of action figures ready to show at the New York Toy Fair, just the Kre-O line of construction blocks. I hope the company takes good advantage of the Trek license to make some well-distributed and sculpted figures of the new movie characters but with the recent rumors being circulated online who knows if the Big H will drop the ball on this thing.

13. cooleddie74

14. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, I know about those. What I was really hoping to see were some movie based 6" figures. Rumor is the second wave of the Iron Man Marvel Legends line is supposed to be movie based. We had better get some news on that soon. People do not want to be stuck with half of a BAF. I would really like a Mark VII, Mark XLVII, and movie Iron Patriot.

The 3 3/4" figures are garbage this time around with only the basic five points of articulation. Disappointing.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. OdoWanKenobi

Marvel runs a 6" line and a 3 3/4" line at the same time. No reason that Star Wars can't. I find it very unlikely that they would suddenly cancel the scale that has been running since the very first film came out.

17. cooleddie74

Nah, they won't cancel the 3.75" line. Just call it an educated guess based on a lifetime of collecting and playing with these things. The 3.75" figures are Hasbro's bread and butter when it comes to the Star Wars license....everything else plays second or third fiddle.

18. OdoWanKenobi

You know, part of me really loves it that there's still at least one action figure line from when I was a kid that is still on the pegs, is still cranking out new stuff, and still will be for the foreseeable future.

19. cooleddie74

With at least three more films planned it's possible another "Golden Age" might be in front of us. Who knows what Hasbro will have up its sleeve in 2015, 2018 and 2021 and what kind of sculpting and tooling technology and accuracy we'll be seeing.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, given that Hasbro currently makes their Marvel figures in different scales, a new 6-inch Star Wars line is likely to be an additional line rather than a replacement for the 3.75-inch line.

Besides, you know a 6-inch line of figures will probably cost $15.99 to $17.99 each (at the very least).
    :eek: