Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Grade the movie

1. Excellent

17.4%
  2. Above Average

28.3%
  3. Average

26.1%
  4. Below Average

9.8%
  5. Poor

18.5%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

I was reading a comment on another board about how a girls butt was getting in the way of him watching robots fight.

Thats a nerd.

2. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

I liked the nods to the toons here and there-Laserbeak resting on Soundwave's arm, the Abraham Lincoln moment is more or less straight from "Atlantis, Arise!" and the overall plot of the film (Especially the ending) is somewhat similar to "The Ultimate Doom" trilogy (Although in the way it's used it is, as Allyn Gibson mentioned, similar to Gallifrey in the David Tennant "Doctor Who" finale). The girlfriend is also from the 'toon.... And of course the trailer.

Kind of weird that Shockwave, in early press stuff, was made out to be the main villain and people were hoping that there would be something like he was in the comics. I'm also slightly annoyed that they changed Mirage and Wheeljack (As they're called in the adaptations and in G1) into "Dino" and "Q". I suppose Bay wanted a slight James Bond reference...

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

saw it this morning in 3d fantastic so made up for that last movie. plan to see it agin next week.

4. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Not at all weird. It was important for the audience going in not to know Sentinel was the true bad guy, so Shockwave served as a handy red herring in all the promotional materials. He let them market the movie as having a new villain without spoiling the surprise.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Below Average. I'd say it was disappointing rather than bad. It was still fun in places though, and I did laugh a few times. Also, I prefer the first two movies to this one.

What I didn't like...

- The story. It was convoluted and the action was mostly a lot of noise and chaos.

- The selection of autobots and decepticons. I wanted to see some new and exciting names like Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, Omega Supreme, the Arialbots, etc, but we didn't get any. There was Shockwave, but that's about it. They should have at least made the old guy Kup.

- The autobot and decepticon designs. They were too busy. They looked more like junk and metal pulled together by a magnet rather than cool-looking robots. And outside of the main ones, it was hard to tell who was who. That's an old problem, but it was more evident this time around.

- Megatron wasn't the formidable villain he used to be.

What I did like...

- Michael Bay's style. He knows how to do sensationalistic movies and I like the music video style he puts into his work.

- Shia LaBeouf. I love his act. He's a funny guy with good comedic timing.

- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. She can't replace Megan, but she was a better sight than I thought she'd be. Well dressed too.

Admiral2 said the rest a few posts above. Gotta disagree on Optimus Prime's trailer though. I wouldn't have wanted to see it split in half like the toy. Making it more elaborate was better.

That two second shot at the beginning was a distraction?

Bonus feature: Shia and Selena...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u29L-17pw8c[/yt]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Apparently to some

7. Agent Richard07

^ Well, I thought it was a nice establishing shot for the character.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Hell, I thought it was a great way to introduce the whole damn movie.

But unnecessary for what the trailer is: a weapons depot for Prime. You could just split the thing in half and have the same kind of arsenal waiting that we saw, only on straight racks instead of the big ring o' weapons.

9. Lost Periphery

Lost Periphery Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I liked it. It was much better than the second one, which is not saying much. i thought Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was okay.

I screamed like a little girl when Barricade popped out of no place then cried a second a later then wished he just stayed hidden someplace.

Quick question:
    When Optimus was fighting Sentinel towards the end, right before Megatron showed up, did Optimus beg for his life? He was on his knees and put his hand to Sentinel's chest and said "Please," super meekly. Or was that just a last ditch try to get him to see reason? Either way I thought that was weird.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I give it a C+. I started falling asleep during the third act. Please tell me why it took them 30 minutes to get off of the building they were on. That had to be the longest scene in movie history.

11. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As I see it, the 3D experience is the reason to see the movie.

12. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Goddamn it Michael Bay. Fool me twice, shame on me! I wasn't going to see this fucking movie, but I ended up getting goaded into it. Thank fuck I didn't pay for my ticket

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

LINK

If you've an hour to kill to listen to a guy yell and rant about this movie.... Spoony's reviews are usually pretty funny but he does tend to ramble a lot and get into odd tangents and listening to him yell for most of this time is... hard and he's in quite a surly mood. But, still, it is what it is.

14. Agent Richard07

One other thing I forgot to mention... This movie continues the "twin planet" trend that's been going on lately.

There's Another Earth, Melancholia, The Event, Smallville and now Transformers.

I don't like 3D. I don't like the glasses, crossing my eyes for 2 hours or the higher ticket prices, and I'm not impressed by the pop-up book look.

15. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...

Random thoughts from here and there in this thread:

Carly, despite all appearances (literally) actually did serve a huge purpose. Were it not for her, Sam wouldn't have been so hot on going back into the danger zone. It was him getting into that zone that set a lot of events in motion and helped alert everyone to the true scope of the threat. Oh, and she was there to look hot, but this is hardly the only action movie to have the "token hot woman", yeah? And while she won't win any oscars any time soon, Rosie was competent and her scene with Megatron was super fun.

The action was absolutely brutal, but you know what? It made sense. In many ways, this action reminds me of how the Marvel Comics series was in its early days. When a character got thrashed, they generally went comatose or were "dead". The animated series really played up the ability for TFs to take a huge pounding and come back looking pristine by the next episode. This makes more sense. How could this race be almost extinct if everyone just got damaged and then yelled "Retreeeaat!" at the end of the day?

Bay seems to have learned to hold a camera steadier than usual. I could actually make out a lot of what was happening. Case in point: the scene where the Autobots fight back against Soundwave and the gang in the city. It was a wide shot and I could see "Ok, Bumblebee is fighting that guy, Sideswipe is fighting that other guy" whereas in past movies it was like "That metal thing over there is so close to the screen I can't tell who it is!"

The humor was well played this time. None of it offended me and it was all over quick enough so the gravity of the invasion wasn't completely lost. I also found Brains and Wheelie to not be annoying this time out, which still kind of amazes me.

Related to the humor, thank the maker that the Wreckers were played straight, and competent to boot. Not hillbilly rednecks as everyone first suspected. I enjoyed their accents, which could be seen as a sort of side homage to their UK roots.

As a G1 fan, I looooved how much was borrowed from previous Transformers lore. Cybertron being brought to Earth? Megatron in Lincoln's chair? Space bridges?! And (ew) Cosmic Rust! Awesomeness.

Geek out moment: Buzz Aldrin talking to Optimus Prime. I mean...wow. Incredibly cool IMO.

I haven't composed my full review yet because I'm letting a lot of it soak in.

My one major, MAJOR gripe - where the HELL was Steeljaw?!!!

(For those who don't know, view this: http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/discover/cybertronian-database.cfm#/characters/steeljaw)

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

more to the point; where was Silverbolt, who James Avery was supposed to be voicing...?

17. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

3D is worse than AIDS.

18. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cant forsee me seeing any more movies at the cinema unless they are IMAX or 3D. Anything else I am content to see on the small screen.

So the next film for me is The Phantom Menace.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Another ranting, curse-laden, video-review of T3: LINK.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone mentioned the two Buy More employees working at Sam's workplace yet? :)