Looking for Avatar Help? Check here!

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Guest, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Ok, Cool...Thank you very much. :)

:bolian:

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

What technique did you use for the compression? I've seen some animated gifs that seem to incorporate a static pixel elimination, so you've got one background and all the pixels that change appear over it. It allows you to optimize the file size and cram in more frames. Is there a certain piece of software that does this?

3. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I made these two avatars for Halloween. They've got the right dimensions (140 by 140 pixels, or less), but I can't shrink them down to 70Kb without severe loss of colour quality. If someone could do that for me and tell me what program they used (preferrably a free one), I'd appreciate it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I used the compression function built-in to my gif exporting software - saving at a lower quality to get a smaller filesize.

"Static pixel elimination", may be something you can do with Flash. I've done manually before, i.e. creating one frame at a time, only changing the "moving parts", then saving to a gif.

As a general rule, you can only get away with 6-7 frames (at a reasonable quality) before the gif's get too big.

I use Animation Shop, which came bundled with Paint Shop Pro (not free obviously), but I believe Gimp lets you create animated gifs... but it seems you have software to do that anyway, right?

Anyway, I've culled some frames from your gif's and tweaked the timing a little:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I have gimp, but again, while it will allows me to get the gifs down to the right pixel dimensions, it can't shrink the gif down to 70 kb and every other program I've used to try and do that has absolutely massacred the colour quality. I think your solution worked well. Perhaps I should invest in this paint shop pro. Thanks a lot.

6. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

^^You're welcome. :)

I don't think any software will to get you passed the 6-7 frame limit, without a reduction in quality, it's a limitation of the gif format itself.

I've got an old version of Paint Shop Pro (v.7) I don't know if the newer version still come with Animation Shop.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Can someone help me create an avatar?

Smallville S9 Opening...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5mbPFCZPc

I'd like to get the few seconds of Cassidy Freeman's credit here. It starts about :22 to :24 I think. Thanks! :bolian: Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

8. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't get her entire montage to work well given the boards size limits, so I had to leave out the first part. This one will work here, but the image quality isn't great:

EDIT: Image removed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Cool! That is great I appreciate it. :)

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Actually, the size limit for avatars is now 140 kb, not 70. :techman:

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I am cool with it unless Chris3123 wants to make it again at 140kb. :)

[edit] I probably won't change my avatar for another week or so.

12. Chris3123

Huh, you're right. When did this happen?

I'll get a better looking one done for you, Jetfire.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This past week I think. I appreciate it Chris. :)

14. Chris3123

Ok, this one looks a bit better.

[​IMG]

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Cool. Thanks again. :bolian: I was gonna wait but I am gonna wear it now. :mallory:

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I need to browse the other forums more often! Could someone help me? I have several avatars of 45th anniversary of Star Trek, it is the same pic with different backgrounds and I would like to have one avatar where the background changes colors. I have absolutely no 'shop skills or software.
    These are what I have now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were the colors from MSPaint that I liked. If you have a better idea for colors, I would be thrilled. I don't know if it can be done, but I would love for the background to fade from one color to another. I am also putting up the original picture that I used, then shrank to fit, in case it would be helpful to someone. The white one is the original, the black is the first background change I did. My process was to change the background color on original, then shrink it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  18. Chris3123

[​IMG]

How's that? If you want it to go faster or slower, or if you want me to add more or take out any colors, just ask and I'll change it. :)

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you so very much, Chris3123!!!:adore: That is exactly what I was hoping to have!:techman: I envy your skills.:alienblush:

20. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

How do get an avatar, it won't let me even try to load one, the option is not there.