The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he ends up creating Batmans in every city in the entire world. That's actually the thing Ra's al Ghul did. Recruiting wannabee ninjas and sending them everywhere in the world, not only Gotham.

2. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

um, why? "Batman Begins" didn't mean "Batman begins in an entirely new sense we've never seen before," it just depicted how and why he got started as Batman. Pretty straightforward.

If the plot of "dark knight rises" is that Batman returns triumphantly as a hero after being framed as a villain and then disappearing for years, the title makes sense.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly. The whole trilogy as I mentioned maybe last page now is about Bruce Wayne training AND becoming Batman. I think this film as I've stated from the start is of Bruce rising up and finally accepting the burden of being Batman. Is it possible that Nolan will toss in a twist or two? Sure. I vehemently am against the notion that Bruce will be killed off. Really doesn't make sense except as just one of many different fan theories.

4. sonak

yeah, Bruce Wayne getting killed off would be a bad idea.

But in a larger sense it wouldn't matter too much-they can just reboot the film series again, and Nolan's not making any more anyway.

5. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course. It was the beginning of this particular version of Batman.

Putting on the batsuit and fighting a villain isn’t exactly new territory for this Batman, even if the new film posits that he’s been out of action in the interim. It’s not “rising” in a very dramatic sense, it’s more like The Dark Knight Gets Up and Goes to the Office for Another Day of Work.

6. Admiral_Young

As with all of Nolan's film the "Rises" is probably a psychological notion. I think this is going to play heavily in this movie. We know or should know if you've watched Nolans movies that psychology seems to be a major subject he loves to explore. In this case it is Bruce Wayne's. Bruce has been really hesitant to fully accept being Batman...it is very much a burden. He isn't like his comic book counterpart where he's one hundred percent dedicated to the "mission". This one has to be forced to accept that he has to be Batman and live with that decision no matter what.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

His gimmick is that he is the next Batman.
    I don't see any character named Dick Grayson in this movie either but it hasn't stopped people from speculating that JGL is Robin.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Putting on the suite, yes, he's done that before. But what I'm trying to say is that there is a difference between putting that suite on and fighting, and actually becoming something. During his first year as a crimefighter, Bruce was already hoping he could give it up, because of Rachel and a normal life with her. His plan of 'becoming' something was already thwarted the moment he returned to Gotham and realized he had unresolved issues with Rachel. That nagged at him. After Rachel's death, he thought he could become what Gotham needed, but only because he had nothing left. His reasons were wrong. But what do we find out now? Not long after TDK, Gotham entered a period of peace and things were pretty good in Gotham, or so it seems. According to a line by Selena in the trailer, it looks as if things are going back to a point when Bruce returned to Gotham, where the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. Enter Bane, who makes things worse somehow I'm guessing, and now it's the time for The Dark Knight, and Bruce (who seems at a loss in the trailer), with nothing to hold him back anymore, can rise and step up to finally become what Gotham needs and wants.

Rachel already understood this when she wondered if there would be a time that Bruce didn't need Batman. The thing is, right after he got back to Gotham, Bruce was torn between his commitment to fighting crime and his love for Rachel. He NEVER fully commited to being Batman, hoping that he could have a normal life with Rachel. When that was taken from him, and peace came to Gotham, he has nothing. His company is falling (according to rumors) Gotham doesn't need the Batman anymore. So when Bane enters the stage, and things start falling in on themselves in Gotham, Bruce can finally let go of the man, and truly, fully become the symbol that Gotham needs.

9. JarodRussell

Yet the only way to make sure that the studio never bothers Nolan or Bale with annoying phone calls is to kill off Bruce Wayne.

10. sonak

ha! That's what Arthur Conan Doyle thought about Sherlock Holmes, too.

11. Captrek

I was thinking James Caan and Misery.

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard rumors that Gotham gets nuked at the end, but I'm not sure if I believe that or not.

13. Captrek

That's no guarantee to do the trick either. Ever hear of a TV show called Sledge Hammer? Put the hero at ground zero of a nuclear bomb at the end of the first season because the thought they were getting canceled. Then the network ordered another season.

14. JarodRussell

Well you actually have to show the detonation.

15. Captrek

Just for you, Jarod.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoU7urNTbI[/yt]

16. JarodRussell

Haha! Damn you! :techman:

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

My friend's sister is the next door neighbor of some guy who works in a soup kitchen who talked to a homeless bum who was rummaging through the trash of Christopher Nolan's hairdresser who claimed hearing a rumor that Superman (played by Dean Cain, in a surprise cameo) shows up at the end of the movie.

18. Admiral_Young

Zack Snyder debunks that rumour. ;)

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet, Dean Cain hasn't. :shrug:

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Broccoli is just upset he couldn't work in an "ignore The Last Stand" joke. ;)