SG-U – Air I and II (1x01/02) - (Discuss – Grade | SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Brent, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Grade Air Part 1 and Air Part 2 – 2 Hour Premier

1. 9 Chevrons – Out of this Universe (A+)

15 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. 8 Chevrons – Beyond the known Galaxies

55 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. 7 Chevrons – In the Milky Way Galaxy

54 vote(s)
    31.4%
  4. 6 Chevrons – Within our Solar System

16 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. 5 Chevrons – Haven’t got past Earth (Average)

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 4 Chevrons – No flying machines at all

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. 3 Chevrons – Pre-Industrial

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. 2 Chevrons – Dark Ages

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. 1 Chevron – Throwing rocks and stones here

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Cannot Establish Lock – Doesn’t even exist (F)

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'm getting some "Event Horizon" vibes

"It didn't come back alone..........."

2. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The premise of this show and looking at synopsis of future episodes it does sound interesting if done right.
    The 1st season seems to be character conflict and fixing the ship.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

When do they introduce the Borg?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, for one, he's Scottish. And for two, they got who they thought was the best actor for the role. I'm sure the fact that he's a name actor had some sway as well.

I don't get this. "Angry Soldier" was nothing like Ford. Ford was all gung-ho and outgoing. Even after he got Wraithed, he retained some of his positive enthusiasm. This guy is all "I'm gonna kill somebody!"

That assumes that Rush was completely fleshed out by the time they wrote and subsequently filmed the Atlantis finale. Considering how many times there were character name changes over the course of 2009, it is doubtful they had everything all planned out by the middle of 2008 (when, I believe, Atlantis wrapped).

5. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I liked it so far, though I was annoyed of how it seemed to end so apruptly (I'm watching this on Sky in the UK, and I think they've mentioned that there's a part 3 they haven't showed yet, so that been placated somewhat), and how they cut into the commercial breaks. Hopefully they'll get a grip on that later. I'll be interested to see what the show's actual intro will be when we get to the regular run.

So far I'm liking the green Lt., Eli, Rush and Chloe, though there's rough edges that need smoothing out, which I'm sure later episodes will sort out with more characterization (this also applies to the other characters, potential or otherwise). I'm not surprised the senator was going to die, especially as soon as I heard them start talking about someone having to sacrifice themselves in the shuttle.

I agree that there seems to be this 'vibe' that the newcomers are being watched by something already on board. I mean, this is a ship that's been travelling for silly amounts of years (millions or hundreds of thousands? Hardly much difference once you to get to certain scales...) and this is a massive ship with what? 80 people on board? Like rattling a handful of rice grains in a shipping container.

I'm not really getting these plot/artifact contrivances that people are pointing out. I remember seeing one person complaining about 'seeder' ship making stargates ahead of the ship. Ever heard of Von Neumann probes? I actually liked that touch, since it seemed to be a sci-fi concept I've not heard being used in a TV series before (I may be wrong). The 'kinos'? Funky little touch, and it's not exactly surprising that we weren't going to be getting MALPs and the like in this series in terms of Tau'ri tech, and these devices presence make sense on a ship like this. A lot can happen on a planet in the timescale of millions of years since a stargate is 'seeded', a planet that was originally inhabitable when the stargate was placed may no longer be safe.

I've voted 8 chevrons, since I'm optimistic about the possibilities of this series and looking forward to see how they play with it. :)

6. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Uhhh, yes, that's what I said. Brit. British. Great Britain..

It's a bit of a 'thing' - the bad hat is played by a Brit/French/etc actor. More 'believable' or something. :)

7. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the shuttle it seemed the only door control was on the inside of the shuttle. If that closes when your out and about on the ship you can't get back into the shuttle...which does seem insane. As for the other door, no idea why it won't always be closed unless someone is using it.

Can't remember it exactly put did the door just need someone to press a button? If so they could have used a Kino and run it into the panel and close the door that way. Then in the future they can just use that kino to open the door again.

8. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

*looks at Google Maps*

Yep, Scotland is still part of Great Britain. Got worried there!

9. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Oh yes, it's still up there. People usually forget about Wales rather than Scotland.

I finally watched SG:U this week, and I thought it was amazing. I went right off SG1 during season 6 or something, and I hated Atlantis, and when I saw the trailer for this, it raised an eyebrow or two.

I loved it. It left me wanting more SG:U, and I'm confident I'll be watching the whole series. I love Rush, mainly because he has his own agendas for being on Destany.

Did anyone else notice, the senators daughter (forgot her name), has the most perfect nose ever?

10. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    They just want a good actor that can speak well. British guys play the good guys all the time too.

11. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Super Ancient/Alteran, soon-to-be-ascended beings.

Even backward 20th century human submarine designers know that a DSRV attached to a submarine, with both the submarine door and the DSRV door open, can lose structural integrity, including when the submarine door is stuck open, and thus no "safety mechanism" to only allow the DSRV door to close when someone is in it would EVER be entertained -- at least not by backward non-soon-to-be-ascended 20th century submarine designers.

And hell, the Titanic had closeable transverse bulkheads (albeit, not designed very well, obviously), yet the Ancients figured they weren't necessary.

Regardless of anything said, I still think the design of the Destiny, with respect to keeping air inside, is complete ass.

Any safety mechanism on an airlock would keep a door closed, not open.

12. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Does anyone think Carlyle may not be in it forever? I wondered if he's like doing a one season thing to get the show going, or something. I know many film actors make the move to TV now, but just wondered if he'd really do 5 - 10 seasons maybe.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The show will have to last more than 1 or 2 seasons before we start asking those questions. But Carlyle's career has been in a relative decline over the past five or ten years with flops (Eragon) and television movies (24: Redemption). This is a role with top billing and a steady paycheck that has earned him some notices by critics. I expect he'll ride it out until he gets bored.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems many film stars are turning to television. Kiefer Sutherland springs to mind and he's been on 24 for like 8 years.

15. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Well, took a while to get through this thread, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I enjoyed the original movie way back when, and when I heard there was going to be a series with MacGyver of all people as the lead I was intrigued, but after a few episodes it didn't really grab me. Never even tried Atlantis, but for some reason the buzz for this caught my attention, and it was free on iTunes, so onto the iPod it went.

It's certainly right out of the SG universe, but different enough that I may watch a few more eps. As a nuBSG fan, I certainly appreciated the darker tone ;) and the comment I read earlier about calling it Battlestar Voyager seems right on. Voyager betrayed it's premise way too soon, and as much as I loved BSG I can admit it didn't have the mass appeal to last very long. If they keep this on for long, I'd definitely like to seem them avoid finding "lost human colonies" way out there, and maybe even (like someone else said), come to the conclusion that they'll never get home and just start figuring out how to live.

16. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The technology to 'turn things on when the gate activates' was seen on Atlantis, a city ship built hundreds of thousands of years later. This is ancient Ancient tech. There will be things they don't have yet. For example, there have been no 'Ancient gene' security lockouts show up yet.
    Besides, there are hints that they're not the first ones to make it to Destiny, so odds are the systems were left running at full by whoever the last lot were, who probably got the ship involved i the battle that caused the hull damage.

Clearly, it's not.

Actually, the whizz kid solved an Ancient mathematical problem to make it work. the 'ninth chevron is Earth' thing was just a spur of the moment idea.

The person whose entire contribution to the project was 'the last symbol is Earth' was actually Daniel Jackson in the movie Stargate. That movie establishes that the only thing they hadn't done yet was pick Earth as the 7th symbol. Rather than just try 39 times with the available options, they had to call in a genius.

We don't know what the Ancient maths problem was; it could have been just this - on a moving ship, that sort of calculation would be necessary to connect, the Ancients would have known that.

You don't think you might think 'lets try it' in that situation? However rationally you could argue against it? Your face would be pretty red if it was possible and you didn't try. A bit like when line forms outside a door that's actually unlocked, just no-ones tried it.

[quote is the Stargate so commonplace to the U.S. military brass that they say, "Sure, bring your daughter along too..." :lol::rolleyes:[/quote]

His daughter is also a member of his staff. The pilot made that clear. :lol::rolleyes: